Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-09-04, 08:37 AM   #25
lIqUID
whip yo ass!

Default Re: CS Source is a crap

I agree the game looks like crap. I see things on SOF2 that look way better, and its how many years old? As far as Im concerned all it has over SOF2 are player models and water.
lIqUID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-04, 08:50 AM   #26
|MaguS|

Sure teh game altogether doesn't have the best graphics but it does have some of the nicest "little" touches. Like throw a smoke nade under a light in office, you will see the light beams, or in dust how you can see the dust particles. Heck world interactivity altogether beats both Farcry and Doom 3 hands down.

BTW, Source can do everything all the current engines can, but valve isn't releasing a Tech Demo like ID. They are actually making a game that they have pride in (yeah many people bitch about HL2 but everyone knowns vavle is trying to make it as good as HL1).
Old 10-09-04, 08:58 AM   #27
iwbs

I think some of you should consider serveral things b4 bashing CS:S looks crap. This game got to be run smooth on most of the average config. Graphics is not always the most important element, its a real failure if the game needs 6800/x800 to run it smooth. Actually you can turn all aa, af on and get 90+fps. Overall this game is right on balance of graphics and speed.
One thing i would complain about the game is that many small areas of the game seems not completed, like guns settings, fire recoils, physics etc.
iwbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-04, 10:02 AM   #28
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Well considering my FPS dips to 35fps occasionally with alot of players on the screen... Maybe that is why they kept some of the effects down. Oh, thats at 1600x1200 2x/4x
Old 10-09-04, 10:37 AM   #29
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

agree complete crap.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-04, 10:53 AM   #30
kasperisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zips
Even that won't make full use of the engine's capabilities as they want to make the game accessible to a wider range of gamers (unlike Doom 3).

The capabilities are there and they will undoubtedly add more features via Steam as time progresses.

To thread starter: To say that the game is "crap" just based on what you believe to be sub-par graphics, is an extremely shallow statement.
Actually, if you did your research, Doom 3's engine has vehicle cababilities, open area capabilities... its actually very very complex. Doom 3 is only the tip of the iceberg of what the engine could do. Would there be a lag when 20 people play together online. With today's hardware yes, tomorrows, nope! And if you argue that this is about what we can do today, im sorry, but id software was never about today, it was always about tomorrow. Currently there is no engine more advanced in capabilites then id's doom 3 engine. I know we all played doom 3 and saw only small rooms and lagging when many effects play at the same time. But remember that its just crappy hardware slowing it and limiting it. Just do a little research on interviews with id employees and you will understand what that engine can do. Doom 3 is just a graphic demo of the engine. Although a very cool graphic demo.

Doom 3 rocks. Halflife 2 will rock. Farcry was ok the first time through. Many games are great. Just don't look at what wasn't specifically not put in to suit your own personaly tastes and you will appreciate many more games!!

oops. misread what you wrote. Doom 3 isn't tailored to a wide audience just yet. you are correct.
kasperisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-04, 06:08 AM   #31
faraday

Well gosh if Id's employees say the D3 engine rocks then by all means, it must be true

A good software must be scalable, meaning that it can run today pretty well, and tomorrow even better, with added features etc.
Problem with D3 is that I wouldn't define it as running well today, it doesn't run like crap either but I just wasn't impressed.
HL2 graphics wont be as good (arguably) as D3's, but I believe it will be a much better game.

As for farcry, I definitly enjoy CS:Source graphics better than Farcry's, I'm not sayingt they're better, only saying I preffer source's.

As far as the D3's engine capabilities for vehicles open areas etc, I was hoping they'd use it more in Quake4 , but from the preview it almost looked like D3 all over again, I sure hope I'm wrong
faraday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-04, 09:42 AM   #32
nVestor
www.tntblowout.com

Wow, I've noticed something pretty damn sad. When someone's opinion is not along the majority, the name calling begins? Why is this? Isn't this just a game after all?

FarCry and Doom3 are great single player games, however doom3 hasn't made me want to come back and play it again, nor has the multiplayer. Friends who have FarCry have said the same about FarCry as well as Doom3. Heck, according to the CryTek videos that came out before the game was even annouced finished left me, and others, with the impression that multiplayer and multiplayer maps were going to be the focus of the game. That turns out being false.

Watching them videos of Source have done nothing for me. A couple things that I enjoyed were the flash bang effects and the destruction of that pc in the game. However that is hardly enough to sell me on the game. In other words, I am not impressed. Looks like BF42: Desert Combat Mod with a few lighting effects and added physics, that is it.

Actually looking more forward to Battlefield 2 and Medal of Honor Pacific Assualt rather than HL2 or Source.

Doom 3 gives me the Resident Evil Series vibe. I liked that alot, but I am a different type of gamer than I was back in 96'. Can't comment on FarCry, though my buds have said they could have done without the experimental creatures in the game. Once they beat it, it was shelved.

Paying as much as we do for games now, I don't want something that cost that much to be discarded after I finish playing it.

I suppose that I expected CS: Source to be closer to all the hype that surrounded it. I'm even more confident HL2 will provide the same disappointment.

MoH: Pacific Assualt looks so much different compared to the previous versions of MoH, that is what has me excited. I suppose it doesn't need the hype surrounding it like many other games have. I see very little talk about it compared to Doom3 and HL2.

CS: Source looks like a more along the "mod" lines than a breakthrough game. HL2 looks breakthough, though the mention of single player only has totally and utterly completely turned me off.

If you want a single player experience, go get a console. I think my pc should take advantage of multiplayer and internet connection as often as possible in a game.

That's just my $0.02

Last edited by nVestor; 10-10-04 at 04:02 PM.
nVestor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-04, 10:13 AM   #33
PSYCHODAD
cereal killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraday
Well gosh if Id's employees say the D3 engine rocks then by all means, it must be true

A good software must be scalable, meaning that it can run today pretty well, and tomorrow even better, with added features etc.
Problem with D3 is that I wouldn't define it as running well today, it doesn't run like crap either but I just wasn't impressed.
HL2 graphics wont be as good (arguably) as D3's, but I believe it will be a much better game.

As for farcry, I definitly enjoy CS:Source graphics better than Farcry's, I'm not sayingt they're better, only saying I preffer source's.

As far as the D3's engine capabilities for vehicles open areas etc, I was hoping they'd use it more in Quake4 , but from the preview it almost looked like D3 all over again, I sure hope I'm wrong
I thought D3 ran great. No problems here.

ii
System #1
CPU INTEL|3rd gen I-7@3.7ghz
16gb memory Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
PSU Siverstone Zeus 850w
EVGA 660gtx
Logitech G400 gaming mouse
Dell 2407WFP 24" lcd

Video Games -- Why waste good technology on science and medicine?
PSYCHODAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-04, 10:36 AM   #34
red_star

Doom 3 and FarCry are way way more complex than CS Sourse...

Afterall, UT2004 gameplay is more fun than CS...
800FSB 2GB DDR400
Leadtek 6800 GT 400/1000
Idle 47C Load 58C
Dell 19" 193FP LCD
HDD1: WD 37.8GB SATA 10000RPM
HDD2: WD 60GB SATA 7500RPM
SB Audigy 2 Gamer ZS Platinum
WinXP Pro SP2
PSU Thermaltake 560W, Thermaltake Shark Big Tower Case
FW 77.13 BETA

3DMark03:12603
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3763441
red_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-04, 10:38 AM   #35
red_star

There is nothing in CS Source you can compare to Doom 3 or Far Cry.

Hmmm wait for DM, and 3DC in Far Cry, and you will see what i'm talking about...

Even COD looks more complex than CS Source...
800FSB 2GB DDR400
Leadtek 6800 GT 400/1000
Idle 47C Load 58C
Dell 19" 193FP LCD
HDD1: WD 37.8GB SATA 10000RPM
HDD2: WD 60GB SATA 7500RPM
SB Audigy 2 Gamer ZS Platinum
WinXP Pro SP2
PSU Thermaltake 560W, Thermaltake Shark Big Tower Case
FW 77.13 BETA

3DMark03:12603
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3763441
red_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-04, 11:33 AM   #36
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

First of all there was little hype surrounding CS Source. It is merely just a graphics update. Thats all its intended to be, and thats all it does. And it does look lightyears ahead of the original Counter-Strike.

Have you read the reviews of Half-Life 2? I am so excited about it I cannot hold myself in my chair anymore. Most magazines have already claimed it being possibly the greatest of all time, not to mention PC Gamer awarding it a 98%. Near perfect. Not saying that I always agree with magazine reviews, but when a game scores that high, it has to be good. Trust me, PC Gamer and all the other magazines have a reputation to keep. If their reviews aren't accurate, or if they hand out good scores, they will lose customers. The magazine is to keep you from buying games you won't like, and buy games you will like. If they fail at that, they lose readers.

I know Half-Life 2 will be good, and I can't wait.