Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-09-04, 03:42 PM   #1
superklye

Default Far Cry just got so much prettier...

I never really noticed those "Renderer" options in the video options tab before. HOLY CRAP! "Cold" is my favorite...it makes everything look so washed out and so much more, well, real...and the semi-cel shaded "carton" option is frickin' sweet!

Now if only it would stop freezing after 15 minutes of play.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-04, 03:49 PM   #2
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD
Default Re: Far Cry just got so much prettier...

cartoon is just silly but yeeah cold is nice.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-04, 03:49 PM   #3
Connaught

Personally I like the complete opposite of cold; Paradise.

It adds so much colour/life to the game that it is just beautiful.

I tend to find cold to be (although sharper image wise) rather plain, as if life has been drained out of the game...but hey, we all have our prefrences.
Connaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-04, 04:47 PM   #4
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connaught
Personally I like the complete opposite of cold; Paradise.

It adds so much colour/life to the game that it is just beautiful.

I tend to find cold to be (although sharper image wise) rather plain, as if life has been drained out of the game...but hey, we all have our prefrences.
see, and I'm the exact opposite. I can't take Paradise seriously because it IS so bright. Life isn't like that and it makes me feel like it really is a game. Cold makes it so gritty and so much more lifelike...at least to me.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-04, 08:51 PM   #5
SWFGestapo
Archfiend for Rent

Send a message via AIM to SWFGestapo

Try going to the Grand Cayman Isle, or Hawaii. It is insanely bright and the sand glares so much you can't look at it. There is virtually no overcast and even when there is it covers such a small area relative to the horizon from the ocean that it's still bright.
Paradise is definitly more realistic, cold looks like Oregon or London, not a tropical island.
And that was the entire point of Far Cry, that it doesn't look gritty. It looks like a resort, and the incongruous appearance of men with guns and giant monsters creates an entertaining bizarrity we rarely see in games.
Personally I'm about sick of flourescent-lit labratories full of shadowy corners and cramped hallways.
In some remote corner of the universe, poured out and glittering in innumerable solar systems, there once was a star on which clever animals invented knowledge. That was the highest and most mendacious minute of "world history"—yet only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths the star grew cold, and the clever animals had to die.
SWFGestapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-04, 12:53 AM   #6
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

I only play on paradise mode also Cold looks too "blue" for me
Old 10-10-04, 03:20 PM   #7
aAv7

Paradise mode = digital vibrance set to medium
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
aAv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-04, 05:02 PM   #8
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

I quite like cartoon mode, but I normally play it in improved mode. I've known about the render options since i first got the game.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-04, 07:10 PM   #9
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

I personally don't like the cold render mode.

I like paradise or improved
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-04, 07:39 PM   #10
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

If you want the best representation of Farcry, visit Fraser Island or the Whitsundays.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-04, 07:49 PM   #11
SWFGestapo
Archfiend for Rent

Send a message via AIM to SWFGestapo

Far Cry is actually based on the Jurassic Park islands, which were in turn small Hawaiin islands. The original game was a JP ripoff with big islands and lots of foliage where dinosaurs roamed. They scrapped everything but the terrain engine. Hawaii's beaches are just like that, by the way, the white, white sand. There are some black beaches, too, but those hurt. If you can find any island not covered in commercial resorts, you'll see the terrain and vegitation are exactly the same.
In some remote corner of the universe, poured out and glittering in innumerable solar systems, there once was a star on which clever animals invented knowledge. That was the highest and most mendacious minute of "world history"—yet only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths the star grew cold, and the clever animals had to die.
SWFGestapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-04, 07:49 PM   #12
pat777
NV420

Damn, I thought the 1.3 patch was just released.
pat777 is offline   Reply With Quote