Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-10-02, 08:32 AM   #1
MrBug

Default Suse 8.1 & Geforce 2MX400 Problem

I downloaded the 3123 driver and installed it.

This is what the system does on the startup:
It starts normally. Then there comes the screen with the nvidia logo. Then the logon screen loads only half, and the system hangs up. (only half means: the word "Benutzername" (this means user in german) is only displayed "Benu", also the background is gray, and the blue background isn`t loaded, I can move the mouse in the time, during nvidia screen and hangup. After that mouse and keyboard hangs up)

I viewed the Xfree log files, but there arent any errors.

I searched the forums, and i already read about that problem, but they didn't solve the problem.
MrBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-02, 06:22 PM   #2
feeyo

Default Re: Suse 8.1 & Geforce 2MX400 Problem

Yes i know what you mean i had that problem with SuSE 8.1 2 very annoying.

i know how to solve it.
When booting, before x starts press CTRL+ALT F3 log in there as root.

then do a startx. you will see starting from text mode into xserver. change your graphics card settings. in Yast2.
now try rebooting again. if the problem still hangs...
Try disabling 3d support.
feeyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-02, 05:43 AM   #3
tanki

Hello!
I got the same problem here. I already tried some solutions, but without success.

To complete confusion: Try logging in as root. No the X-Server should start without any problem.
I think there is a problem with the permissions. On my machine the devices /dev/nv* now have 777: No effect...

The older drivers used to work (Suse 7.3 with 2960/3123).
Any idea?

Gre,
Tankred.
Old 11-11-02, 08:03 AM   #4
borchard

Default wadddya know

Actually, I have had some serious issues as well, and if someone from nVidia is paying attention (or maybe Suse), I would like help as well.
Yast seems to update the drivers just fine, and if I enable acceleration, and then run a game, it runs (even without restarting x). However, when I then restart the machine (which I must do because my wife doesn't like linux, and we only have one computer (i'll take donations...) so I run dual Suse 8.1/winXP), I do fine until the graphical login. If I do the safe mode, then I can boot to a prompt and then startx, and that works fine, but only as root. If I try to login as anything else, then it locks up.
The config files seem to be setup correctly by Suse, but then again, I'm not certain.

Has anyone tried installing manually? If so, did it work?

If I can get this and wine to work properly, then I'll ditch Winblows like a bad disease.
borchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-02, 08:20 AM   #5
tanki

In fact, I installed the drivers without Yast. I just took my old configuration (I have two Monitors and use TV-Out) and installed the drivers with rpm -Uvh [...]. I disabled all the additional stuff, of course.
The XF86config provided by Yast didn't work as well.

After the first try, I searched the net and found:
http://www.linux-community.de/Neues/story?storyid=4980

A short translation:
Don't use the drivers provided by Suse
1. Install GLX and kernel-drivers from nvidia
2. init 3
3. install the packages with yast -i [...] //I didn't do it that way
4. on console type: switch2nvidia and after that switch2nvidia_glx
5. complete your settings using Yast

Step 4 appears odd to me. And it doesn't help either.
Any idea?
Old 11-11-02, 09:49 AM   #6
borchard

Default Thanks

Thanks, that looks helpful, I'll try it.
Old 11-11-02, 10:51 AM   #7
borchard

Default what the hey?

All right, I've tried it, and the sorry thing still doesn't respond properly. i get the nvidia display logo, and then the ENTIRE login GUI appear except for the hostname info, and the mouse and keyboard quit working, and the system locks. The only option is to reset the machine, which stinks.

I tried installing the rpms manually, and then the yast configuration tool. I got nothing.

The best solution so far is to login under inittab 3, and then startx. This works, but is ugly and shouldn't be required.

I would like to hear any responses available. Thanks
Old 11-11-02, 01:59 PM   #8
feeyo

Talking no problem yet.

Well i have tried it manually too and no good meen.
NVIDIA what have you done for me lately!?

The only way it works for me is starting in text mode and doing an startx. thats the only good way.

But 3D enabled, sometimes my system hangs when playing games. so that sux too... SuSE did say the 3D is in beta... but come on.. WE LINUX FREAKS LIKE TO PLAY GAMES TOO. we dont want to be stuck with micro****..afteral.

Anyhow i will be trying other stuff i'll have you updated if i get it to work

Respect.

Old 11-11-02, 11:53 PM   #9
borchard

Arrow yeah

The truth is that I can do it that way, but only if I login as root. If I try logging in as any other user, then it hangs when try to startx.

I am actually wondering if someone knows if its just the Suse Login Screen? I am thinking that perhaps the whole idea of a login screen is somehow causing problems.

Can I get someone from another distro to comment on this? I think it would be interesting to see if people not using a graphical login have a different experience in upgrading to the latest drivers.

Let me know.
Old 11-12-02, 04:41 AM   #10
Scat

same problem here on a SuSE 8.1 machine:

booting as user to graphical login freezes the system, starting the X-server from runlevel 3 as SU-user or root works fine - even @1600*1200.

Users are members of the video group by standard, so I think, there are missing some further rigths to bring up the X server.

Can an older nvidia driver be used with SuSE 8.1 and does that solve the Problem?

Scat
Old 11-12-02, 04:49 AM   #11
feeyo

Default hmm

Ooh thats why i can login as user because i made myself a member of root user..

Anyhow i aint sure if you can use a older version of the nvidia drivers. i dont think so....

try it out and let us know lol

...respect....
Old 11-12-02, 12:19 PM   #12
DDirsus

Talking SuSE 8.1 & Nvidia cards - my work around

Like alot of people, I had the damnest time to get SuSE 8.1 working properly with the new Nvidia drivers (days).

I finally found an article to set up the new drivers (URL: http://3dguios.resnet.mtu.edu/nVidia-NHF.html).

The easiest way is to use Yast2 (console mode).

When modifying video/monitor, choose "Properties" for video card (I think it is the "advanced" button), and choose "NoRenderAccel" (2D rendering functions - does not affect 3D).

Or, in the XF86Config file, under the "Device" section, add the following:

Option "NoRenderAccel"

Once you reboot, you should get the normal graphical login with no problems.

After the fix, hardware 3D works (using gears, approx. 1200 - 1400 fps) and tuxracer runs fine.

Hope this works for you.

BTW: my system consists of the following: AD11 board (AMD 761 NB), Geoforce2 MX/MX 400 VB, XP 1600+.