Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-11-04, 03:23 PM   #13
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Default Re: Halo 2: Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
I hope they change their mind and come out with a PC version. I really liked the original and read all the paperbacks. I don't want to get an xbox just to play this game.
Well, don't hold your breath: there's no contract that says Halo 2 has to come out on the PC, unlike with Halo 1. I honestly don't think they'll port the game to PC this time, since it already has online play in the Xbox version there'd be even less incentive for people to pick it up (not to mention by the time it's ported Unreal 3 would probably be out). But the Xbox will probably drop to like $100 after christmas sometime, and maybe some place will even have a Halo 2 bundle deal. But once you get the system, you'll probably find plenty of other good games for the console (Kingdom Under Fire in 1 day, baby )

But yeah, I thought the Halo books were actually pretty decent too (though I've only fully read the first one). I liked how one person described the books: the first one is like a really well-written fanfic, the second is like a not-so-well-written fanfic, and the third one is a great science fiction read that any fan of the genre should check out. I still need to pick up the 3rd one, I hear it sets up Halo 2 pretty well (not to mention I'm wondering about a few plot-points that weren't explained in the first book that would explain what happens in Halo 2, like where the Covenent got the coardinates of Earth from).

We really should make a Gamertag thread here, maybe even get an Nvnews.net Live clan going! At least then I'd have someone I know to play against, since I haven't seen Vash on Live once yet . Oh well, if nothing else I guess I'll see him in Halo 2
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 03:28 PM   #14
Buenamos

Yeah, I have it pre-ordered at the store I work at and I convinced my boss to let me "promote" the game the day before by playing it in the backroom, and have it output to all the TVs in our store since we're having a midnight release party that night I CANT WAIT, I've never been so psyched for a video game, this is one fps that I'm actually better with a controller rather than mouse/keyboard.

By the way, my live tag is: (don't laugh or bash me hahahaha)

I Am A Guy

I've been playing some mk deception lately so u might see me on there.
Gaming PC: KOOLANCE PC3-410BK / SILVERSTONE ST70F 700W Modular / Q6600 G0 @ 3.2 / Swiftech Apogee GT Block /Asus P5Q Pro / 2x2gb 1066 G-Skill / EVGA GTX570 / 2 x Asus VH242 1080p monitors / Audigy Xi-Fi Platinum / Seagate 160gb HDD / Seagate 500gb HDD

Laptop: Inspiron 1520 15.4" LCD/ Intel Core 2 Duo 7300 (2ghz) / 2 gb RAM / 8600m GT / 80gb HDD / N Wireless / Blue Tooth

Media Center: AMD 4400+ / 2 gb OCZ Platinum / EVGA 9800gt / Audigty 2ZS / 42" LG 1080p 120hz / 3 x 1.5tb HDDs

Xbox 360 / Wii
Buenamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 04:09 PM   #15
FierceDeityLink

Send a message via AIM to FierceDeityLink Send a message via MSN to FierceDeityLink Send a message via Yahoo to FierceDeityLink

I not getting that hyped up about Halo 2 after what the EGM editor guy said... More than likely, whoever it was had already played the multiplayer demo at E3 (or possibly more - under an NDA). It'll probably be a good game, but probably not one that I'll be picking up anytime soon.
Old 10-11-04, 04:16 PM   #16
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Der? What did the "EGM Editor Guy" say?
Old 10-11-04, 04:23 PM   #17
Vash
Angel Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGM Editor Dude
I agree about Halo vs HL 1. But I'll **** my pants if Halo 2 can outdo HL 2. HL 2 is like Stanley Kubrick made a videogame, not necessarily in its tone, but in its near absolute perfectionism. Everything from A.I. to dificulty to sound to music to pacing to dialog to just plain imagination is clearly the product of years and years of love and genius
This is after having played either the official version of HL2 or a gold candidate, and possibly having played the E3 multiplayer demo of Halo 2.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 04:35 PM   #18
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Oh, well that's not exactly what I thought it would be. That's more of a boast about one game, rather than a downplay of another. I mean, I remember some people saying the same thing when Farcry was released ("I can't imagine HL2 being better than this!", etc.). I'll be picking up both games and draw my own conclusions from that . Right now I'm guessing that HL2 will offer a longer single-player campaign, while HL2 will have superior multiplayer and coop (at least until some decent MP mods come out for HL2, which might take a while). Although I'm begining to worry about how HL2 is going to run on my XP2000/ti4200 machine, even Doom 3 gave me some big problems in some places.
Old 10-11-04, 04:58 PM   #19
Vash
Angel Arms

I wouldn't worry too much about HL2 performance. Have you tried the Source stress test yet? Source isn't nearly as top-heavy as the Doom 3 engine is.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote