Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-11-04, 04:11 PM   #1
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Default Half-Life 2 First Impressions...

Read this thread guys...

http://lithium.1up.com/zd/board/mess...cending&page=1

Some Quotes:

Quote:
I agree about Halo vs HL 1. But I'll **** my pants if Halo 2 can outdo HL 2. HL 2 is like Stanley Kubrick made a videogame, not necessarily in its tone, but in its near absolute perfectionism. Everything from A.I. to dificulty to sound to music to pacing to dialog to just plain imagination is clearly the product of years and years of love and genius

Best shooter ever made. Possibly the best single-player game I've ever played

IMO HL 2 makes a mockery of HL 1, it's that good. I'm just giving these guys the benefit of the doubt, but I honestly think there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Halo 2's single player will be better. But it's apples and oranges and when I review Halo 2 I won't even make the comparison. But as an FPS nut who loves console and PC, I can have my personal opinions.

Doom 3 and FarCry are garbage compared to this. Doom 3 more so. I really wish I could tell you why, but you'll have to wait. Once the reviews start coming out you'll get a better picture.

The ant lions are amazing. Did you know they can fly? : )

I can't really say much about it yet, but it's good stuff. And a very clear indication that either HL 3 or a series of expansions are on the way.

Interacting with the environment is amazing. The sheer imagination in the level design, events, surprises, and discoveries you make as you play is amazing. The AI of friends and foes is amazing. The pacing, and variety is amazing. Ditto for characterization, visual effects, audio effects, music, level of difficulty, everything. It's like Stanley Kubrick made a videogame and obsessed over every detail. There's not a whiff of commitee anywhere.

I'm a total HL 2 fanboy now. You're right in that Halo 2 "could" be better (of course if I already played through the final game i couldn't tell you), but here's the thing: I play most every FPS in existence and I have never, ever seen anything remotely close to Half-Life 2. Not even. Let's say I haven't played Halo 2 yet. I'm still in a position to say that its single-player would have to be absolutely fscking nuts to beat HL 2. But the whole argument is pointless. You'd be stupid to overlook either game, and until the Source mods start rolling in, Halo 2 will have the sicker multiplayer anyhow.

Depending on your skill and how much you like fiddling with things 15-20 hours.

HL 2 is very scalable to different systems. You might be able to run it on what you have, but if ever a game deserved the newest tech out there, it's this.

If you want to use your head and the grav gun the whole way through I think you could do it. I used nothing but ant lions for one section.

Only one Barney. A few of the resistance fighters get recycled, however.

Last edited by jAkUp; 10-11-04 at 04:23 PM.
jAkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 04:13 PM   #2
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD
Default Re: Half-Life 2 First Impressions...

Wow 1 sentance, but the thread is edited, why ?
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 04:17 PM   #3
Omega53

I am really disappointed in peoples reactions so far. I thought the game wouldve been better
Venice 3000+ 64 @ [COLOR=Red]2.5ghz (278 FSB)[/COLOR]
1 GiG Cosair XMS 2.5-3-3-6 @ [COLOR=Blue]230Mhz[/COLOR]
19" Viewsonic G90f
[URL="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1275491"]8600 3D Mark 05[/URL]
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 04:20 PM   #4
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Doom 3 and FarCry are garbage compared to this. Doom 3 more so. I really wish I could tell you why, but you'll have to wait. Once the reviews start coming out you'll get a better picture.
Ouch!
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 04:22 PM   #5
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

HL2 is going to own Halo 2. I like Halo, it's ok for MP but that's about it. But I can't wait to see review scores for both titles. HL2 is going to make Halo 2, Doom 3 and FarCry looks like crap. End of story.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 04:46 PM   #6
Vash
Angel Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
HL2 is going to own Halo 2. I like Halo, it's ok for MP but that's about it. But I can't wait to see review scores for both titles. HL2 is going to make Halo 2, Doom 3 and FarCry looks like crap. End of story.

Oh? End of story, hmm? I understand that you feel you're going to like HL2 better than Halo 2. That's cool with me.

But comparing two top-of-the-line titles that are in seperate sub-genres and therefore trying to accomplish two different styles of gameplay doesn't make much sense. I'm a big HL2 and Halo 2 fanboi, but for all that is holy - have a little bit of perspective. They're both going to be awesome games; just because you think you're going to enjoy one more than the other doesn't make the other teh suck.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.

Last edited by Vash; 10-11-04 at 05:01 PM.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 05:24 PM   #7
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Yeah, I think both HL2 and Halo 2 will be good in their own ways. The gameplay in Halo 2 is extremely well-refined: they've been balancing everything out and focusing on features that add straight-up fun to the game. HL2 is amazing in it's execution of in-game physics and immersiveness, and will likely offer many things we haven't even though about having in FPS games before. But then they didn't really have to spend as much time doing things like balancing in HL2 since it doesn't really have any new multiplayer. I look as Halo 2 as a total refinement of the genre, while HL2 offers something different to the genre. Both are good in their own ways, but I'm definatly picking up Halo 2 first (of course, that's mainly because it comes OUT first )
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 05:30 PM   #8
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Thought you guys might wanna see this also... Half-Life 2 weapons

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hl2VGUI.jpg
Views:	1148
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	8224  

Old 10-11-04, 05:35 PM   #9
Seoulstriker

I just played Tenebrae quake. What an incredible game!
Seoulstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 05:36 PM   #10
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Is that all? :\... only 2 weapons for me = grav gun and revolver :\.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 05:39 PM   #11
Vash
Angel Arms

Btw... thanks for the link, JakUp!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 05:40 PM   #12
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Hmm...there are more weapons than that though, right? Seems like a pretty thin lineup, especially considering most of them were in Half-life 1 (although that wierd looking one second from the bottom in the middle is catching my eye...). Oh, and is that actual physics gun from the HL2 tech demos still in the game? Not the gravity gun that throws things, but I mean the one that actually lets you swing things around and such.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote