Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-12-04, 11:58 AM   #1
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk
Default Final Fantasy XI Review

After several weeks of therapy I believe I've come to terms with ownership of this game and I can finally talk about it in public without screaming and throwing the nearest object at the computer screen. This will be a brief review because anything longer than brief would be giving this game attention that it does not deserve. So let's start out, while you wait for the lengthy install to finish you read through the "instruction book". Which is in fact a book, you could use this thing to commit a crime. However there is in fact no useful information in the guide to help you play the game.

Once the game is installed you use several hours of your time to try and set up a account to play the game, once this is done you can finally create your character and get into the game. The game gives your 3 different areas which you can "allign" yourself with at the start, pick any of the 3 it doesn't matter, you will stop playing this long before your faction has any effect on the game. Once you spawn in the world of your choice you talk to a npc and go through the usual welcome garbage, now the fun starts. You will literally spend around 15 minutes trying to figure out how to get your guy to just move, forget jumping into the thick of battles or start crafting your way to a fortune, you can't bloody well move. After dropping the manual on my foot and breaking my toe I found the explanation of how to move, and off I went running around a city where you have no idea what to do.

The combat system, the combat system in this game is so simple anybody can take part. You simply select your target, press attack and wait for it to kill you.

Here is a example of a foe you will first encounter...

A worm, that's right you will get your ass kicked by a large worm. After you realise that earthworm Jim has kicked your ass you will try to retreat from battle and run to a safe area. Alas your hulking 6 foot tall beast cannot outrun the common garden worm and you are killed while running.

Crafting is a expensive process, you first of all have to save up enough money to buy a pickaxe so you can go mining. You save up to get your pickaxe and you skip along to the mines to start your long road to fortune. You swing your pickaxe at the rock and get, a pebble. One measly rock and by the way your pickaxe broke too. So you sell the pebble for 2 gold coins and now you need a further 300 to get another pickaxe.

The map system in this game is truly marvelous too, when you finally find a quest to complete you must head outside into the wild areas to search for your goal. Bringing up the map screen is like looking at instructions from Ikea, the map does not tell you where you are and it does not give you any idea how to get where you want to go. Finally after 7 hours of searching by a pure stroke of luck you find your goal, and that earthworm from earlier turns up again....

Overall I give this game 1/10 (I gave it 1 because I manged to mug a old person with the instruction book)
Old 10-12-04, 12:10 PM   #2
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default Re: Final Fantasy XI Review

Yeah, I heard it was terrible from one of my friends so I never even glanced at it. At least you get the first month free, right?
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-04, 01:18 PM   #3
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

HAHAHA! you lost to a worm! thats why i dont play rpg's (especially mmorpg's), it gets frustrating, then repetitive.
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-04, 01:34 PM   #4
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

It's almost as bad as losing to rats and butterflies in Star Wars: Galaxies. Thank goodness for World of Warcraft, the MMORPG genre is in serious need of help.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-04, 01:43 PM   #5
Sabadin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireuk
Bringing up the map screen is like looking at instructions from Ikea, the map does not tell you where you are and it does not give you any idea how to get where you want to go.
Actually the map tells you exactly where you and any of your party members are, and finding your way around was pretty straight forward. I only quit because it takes forever to find groups at lvl 25+ and the huge influx of whiny "I want everything right now" PS2 players.
Sabadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-04, 01:53 PM   #6
intercede007
American

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via MSN to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007

FWIW...

It took me 30 minutes to install the game, then another 4 hours to install the updates.

I cancelled my membership yesterday.
intercede007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-04, 06:38 PM   #7
vampireuk
**** Holster

I cancelled mine around 2 days after I installed the game, it is terrible.
Old 10-12-04, 06:52 PM   #8
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

LOL that was one of the funniest reviews I red in some time now
I ecpecially like the combat system comments and: "and that earthworm from earlier turns up again...."

Too bad the game sucks though
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-04, 06:53 PM   #9
vampireuk
**** Holster

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom
HAHAHA! you lost to a worm! thats why i dont play rpg's (especially mmorpg's), it gets frustrating, then repetitive.
The thing with these games is they need to strike a balance, obviously you cannot dive into making huge amounts of money the instant you start playing, but you can't have the other extreme where it is impossible to do anything.
Old 10-12-04, 07:17 PM   #10
intercede007
American

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via MSN to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireuk
The thing with these games is they need to strike a balance, obviously you cannot dive into making huge amounts of money the instant you start playing, but you can't have the other extreme where it is impossible to do anything.
Exactly.

Maybe I'm just not the demographic, but I get frustrated when I'm paying 1,110 gil to make a dagger that I can only turn around and sell for maybe 400 gil, while it only manages to net me a grand total of .1 experience points after the 5TH DAMN DAGGER!!!!!!!!

And not to mention that if I attempt to try the next higher level synthesis when I gain a few experience points, I lose the 500g crystal and another 700g worth of materials!

There is also this horrible lull between levels 5 and like, 12 where you're too strong to kill worms and rabbits anymore and get any meaningful experience, but you still get your butt handed to you by goblins before you have a chance to run and call for help. It becomes a tedious measure in killing worms en masse to get to the next level.

Ohh..and I *hate* the fact that I have to hunt down a party to get quests done. Hate, hate, HATE!!!
intercede007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-04, 08:12 AM   #11
JayrodTremonki

It's a game you have to get used to. I definitely had the movement problem when i started it, but I hadn't played a MMORPG in years so I chalked it up to that. I definitely wouldn't recommend crafting to anyone who isn't in for the long haul either. Until you get to around 15th lvl in your craft(many, many, MANY hours, and LOTS of cash) you can't turn a profit off the crafting. But, you can turn a profit off of doing lots of quests and missions, as well as gaining cash off of items dropped by monsters. For a while I was completely starved for gil with no clue how to get it until I realized that the worms(crawler worms, not Jim) I'd been fighting since lvl 4 were dropping things that were selling for 20-30k a stack. The thing that kept me playing the game for so long was the storyline behind the missions. The further you went along through the game the more the story unfolded and actual events happened in the game. Boss battles also make me jizz.
JayrodTremonki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-04, 09:42 AM   #12
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayrodTremonki
Boss battles also make me jizz.
Whoa...TMI there pal.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote