Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-12-04, 02:26 PM   #1
spirited1

Default EQ2 vs WoW Beta players input

Can anyone who's played both the EQ2 beta and the WoW beta list their hates/loves of said games, and more specifically which one they're going to opt for?

I'm considering both to be honest but looking at the various dedicated sites, it's really hard deciphering the truth on them. I think product loyalty (read : rabid fanboyism) is clouding people's opinions

I'm aware of the implications of going into too much detail, so don't put your accounts in jeopardy by breaking any NDA's - but I'd really like to see some unbiased views on people who've tried both and this board seems to be populated by straight talkers.
spirited1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-04, 05:29 PM   #2
nrdstrm

Default Re: EQ2 vs WoW Beta players input

I did the stress test for WoW. It was fun, decent game. But not EQ fun. I'm going to wait on that. I am not in beta for EQII, and if I was I would not be able to answer your question because ALL EQII beta testers are under NDA. I can tell you that my friend who is a long time EQ subscriber and is in EQII beta said the game is amazing and is definetly on track for Nov 15 ship date (treat this as a rumor as it has not been confirmed by SOE or anything).
Nrdstrm
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-04, 10:24 PM   #3
|MaguS|

I have played WoW Beta am currently testing EQ2... you can guess which one I enjoy more...
Old 10-13-04, 10:44 AM   #4
Killall
goodmorning mr. Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
I have played WoW Beta am currently testing EQ2... you can guess which one I enjoy more...
No i can't guess... i never played either of em
2x1024 mb Corsair PC6400C4
2x80G Maxtor HD's, SATA, Raid 0
Creative Audigy 2 ZS, 5.1 Speaker setup
Iyama MA203DT
And a ****load of games
Killall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-04, 10:48 AM   #5
Bill The Cat
ACK

EQ handily ahniliated a year of my life. I can't imagine what II will be like.

P4 2.4C @ 3.12|1024 MB 2.5 CAS RAM|520 Watt SilenX PSU|Leadtek Geforce 3|Dell 2001FP 20.1 in. LCD|80 GB IBM Deathstar (Pre-Hitachi)|Lian-Li 6070A Case|

Colorado State Civil Engineering
Bill The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-04, 04:49 AM   #6
lognoronon

Well the NDA is now lifted for EQ2.

Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
I7-2600k
8 Gig of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 560 TI
Lite On 20x DVD +- RW
WD 160 gig 7200 rpm hd
WD 750 gig 7200 rpm hd
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Razer Naga mouse
Corsair GS700
LG 22" L226WTQ

lognoronon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-04, 08:51 AM   #7
|MaguS|

Heres what I wrote on my Clans forum...

Well, the NDA for EQ2 has been lifted so I will give you all my impression of the game.

Graphics:
Come on... These are the most buetiful graphics in any MMORPG to date, nothing comes close. Forget what you seen in movies and pictures. When playing its totally different. The world actually feels alive. Cats will chase mice and run away when a dog is spotted. NPC's actually wander without pattern so you sometimes actually have to look rather then remember where they go. Speaking of which, can't find an NPC? Ask a guard, he will point you to the right direction. Wildlife is everywhere, from birds just mellowing around (which fly away as you approach) to deer in the pastures. Everything has so many small touches that its hard to not get suprised every time you visit a place.

The animation in the game is probably the best in any game to date. Pick any title wether it be SP or MP and take it up a notch. Thats where EQ2 is. Everything moves with realism from the way a character speaks to how thier dress or shirt moves in the water. Its really another sight to behold. You have never seen spell casting till you witnessed EQ2's, its almost as if they were dancing. Casters and other random animations even move thier fingers properly. Watch the caster actually point at the mob as a thunder bolt crashes down on it causing the ground to shake.

Sound:
Another area thats done well. From appropriet changes in sound when stepping on different surfaces to birds chirping or the sound of the waterfall in the distance, nothing seems out of place. Even the voices are done so well that when you see a character speaking you can actually feel that the voice is a perfect match with the characters. The Iksar speak with a slight hiss due to thier reptilian nature while the frogloks grugle and sometimes croake. The music is composed once again and with different battle tunes, you wont get bored. I personally turn this off anyway because I love to hear the crash of my thunderbolt or the sizzling of the goblin as he shakes violently due to the electric charge.

Quests:
Very fitting and MANY of them. This game alone has more then EQ did with Kunark. You will never get bored, they vary so well and make you explore so much that you will probably get side tracked watching or looking at something else. Its all so engrossing at times. Some quests are also down right silly, like having to help a Haffling find out who stole her pie by going door to door and sniffing around...

Character Creation:
You can spend hours here alone. This can be a game in itself. Theres no end to how much you can customize. From the shape of thier eyes to the length of thier nose. Want a nose ring? How about a thin crack head look? Options are limitless. You can witness this all by just clicking randomize, no one character will ever look alike.

Performance:
If you got the machine, crack the **** up. I can run the game on its second to highest setting just fine. Even if you can't it will still run and look good. Ask lackey, hes been playing on a medium machine and he has no complaints.

Gameplay:
Combat is exciting for one. Fights are full of engery thanks to locked encounters, never will you have to worry about KSing or Trains. Mobs fight as groups aswell. There a caster in the group? It will stay back and nuke your party. The combat wheel also adds depth rewarding combos preformed by the group with buffs or extra damage. You can always take the EQ approach in sit in a corner but every area offers the adventure of looking deep within the dungeon and taking out its boss.

Many area's are also instanced now, but unlike the previous stuff. In EQ2 they don't just limit you to a group anymore, some are made only when the current zone is too full. No more having 30 groups in a zone that only supports 10. Wana go at it alone? EQ2 fully supports Soloing, you can hit the max level all alone if you wish. It will be a tougher battle and take longer but thats the penalty of not excepting help from others.

If there is any flaw in the game I would say its the leveling and newbiness of the game. EQ2 makes it VERY easy for someone who has never played an MMO. In the beginning it will give you a waypoint to everywhere you need to go and tell you exactly who you must speak with and what you must do. BUt as you level you must learn how to play because after level 10 or so, your on your own for the majority.

The problem with leveling is that its basically automatic. Once you aquire the EXP needed to level, the game determines what stats get increased and gives you your new abilities and spells. While this isn't so bad, I would like it the old way where I had to go and buy my spells. Now don't get me wrong, the game only gives you the level 1 version of the spell... every spell in the game can be taken 6+ levels giving them more strength and more uses in the higher level. So when your 20, you can still be using a spell that you gained at levle 5 if you have taken the time to upgrade it.

My Opinion:
As many know, I have played almost EVERY MMORPG to date. I have played EQ, DAOC, AC, AC2, AO, FFXI, RO, L2, SWG and even WoW. I can honestly say that for me EQ2 does everything better then all them. It feels so much more immersive and the community is great. While there will always be the assholes, in EQ/EQ2 the community has always been very respectful and helpful. This isn't any different with the EQ2 Beta. The game is so fun to play, After quiting EQ I never thought a game would be able to replace it... and one finally has. I can seem myself playing EQ2 for along time and I plan to.

Some Screenshots
http://home.cfl.rr.com/egbtmagus/ima...2-55-43-54.jpg
http://home.cfl.rr.com/egbtmagus/ima...4-43-20-59.jpg
http://home.cfl.rr.com/egbtmagus/ima...8-46-18-39.jpg
http://home.cfl.rr.com/egbtmagus/ima...eq2_000002.jpg
http://home.cfl.rr.com/egbtmagus/ima...eq2_000015.jpg
http://home.cfl.rr.com/egbtmagus/ima...eq2_000019.jpg
http://bellsouthpwp.net/T/h/TheCleri...eq2_000039.jpg
http://bellsouthpwp.net/T/h/TheCleri...3-04-50-32.jpg
http://bellsouthpwp.net/T/h/TheCleri...4-04-26-29.jpg
http://bellsouthpwp.net/T/h/TheCleri...1-10-05-73.jpg
http://bellsouthpwp.net/T/h/TheCleri...2-22-18-20.jpg

Last edited by egbtmagus; 10-17-04 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-16-04, 10:36 AM   #8
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
My Opinion:
As many know, I have played almost EVERY MMORPG to date. I have played EQ, DAOC, AC, AC2, AO, FFXI, RO, L2, SWG and even WoW. I can honestly say that for me EQ2 does everything better then all them. It feels so much more immersive and the community is great. While there will always be the assholes, in EQ/EQ2 the community has always been very respectful and helpful. This isn't any different with the EQ2 Beta. The game is so fun to play, After quiting EQ I never thought a game would be able to replace it... and one finally has. I can seem myself playing EQ2 for along time and I plan to.
Is it really fun or is it just addictive? SWG was very addictive, but 90% of the gameplay consisted of doing stupid tedious crap just to level up. And how is the support? Are game play issues addressed? are SOE over-nerfing everything like they did with SWG? Do they introduce new bugs with every patch and promised they will be fixed in the next patch? How many character classes have you played? Maybe its just great for you because you are playing the only class that actually works.

EQ2 sure shows some tempting eye candy, but so did SWG. Then we were all left feeling sexually violated. I haven't forgiven SOE for that. I can still taste Kevin O'Hara's spooge in my mouth and I hate myself for the fact that I payed HIM 15 bucks a month for the experience. Now we are being enticed into the SOE white van with more eye candy so they can shoot us up with addictive evercrack and molest us again. Its very hard to believe that the same people who made SWG can also make EQ2 a kick ass game. I guess its possible that they won't molest you this time... maybe they really DO just want to give you candy... I'm kind of reluctant to trust them though. Blizzard, on the other hand, are like a kind uncle. About once a year they give you a real treat, and they are consistant in that every year its something good. Uncle Blizzard always has good gifts and if he says he has something special for me this year, I have no reason to doubt him. I have no reason to think he will get me addicted to crack and molest me... unlike Uncle SOE, who has done exactly that in the past.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-04, 11:01 AM   #9
|MaguS|

Its both, Addicting and FUN! Well, Theres no real support currently since its beta but SOE has been VERY active in the community. They are always communicating with the testers and relaying msg's between different parts of the team. They have changed many things in the game how they work, it can be called nerfing but its actually balancing right now.

There were plenty of bugs and many introduced in patches but this is always part of the beta process. Fix one thing, another breaks but they have been fixing everything they know of. Sometimes as quick as a patch 30mins after the patch released to soemtimes so big that it would take awhile but from what I have seen, every bug since July has been squashed or has been acknowledged of its excistance. The game is very balanced right now, no class is too good and there all have benefits.

I will say one thing about SOE's interaction with the community, It destroy's Blizzards. So Many SOE employees post on the boards, not just the community reps but programmers and even the artists. They talk and discuss issues... Its nuts seeing how many are on the boards sometimes.

I have played all 4 basic combos and have taken 3 to the second tiers. This is all between 2 server wipes. My current main is a Sorceres, last one prior to wipe was a Shadow Knight.
Old 10-16-04, 01:10 PM   #10
spirited1

My biggest worry with EQ2 is what you touched upon there, egbtmagus. The class architype system. People have been saying how balanced it is - too balanced. With EQ1 there was a plethora of different classes to choose from, each one pretty much unique, even the hybrids. But in EQ2 it seems, there's only four classes, as the brancing of those classes really doesn't seem to make, say, the Priest classes individual. Need a healer? Any Priest class will do.

Hopefully after level 20 they'll all become unique.
spirited1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-04, 01:13 PM   #11
|MaguS|

Well they all have thier strenghts and weakness, No one will heal as good as a cleric but a cleric will never be able to deal out the damage of a druid or buff like a shaman. Alot like EQ1.
Old 10-16-04, 01:37 PM   #12
lognoronon

I have only been in the beta for 2 months but the biggest problems I have with it other than the performance(they have a ways to go imo for optimizing the engine) is this. The spell/abilities just seem kind of bleh to me. They need to add in some more variety and in general make a lot of them better than they are atm but it's still in beta so lets hope things get ironed out further. Also the priest healing is just not strong enough or the mobs dps is too high imo. Too often priests are spamming heals and thats all that they do. I would like to actually throw in a nuke or dot once in a while but I just can't do it enough due to using up power thats needed for healing or because I have to be spamming heals.

Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
I7-2600k
8 Gig of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 560 TI
Lite On 20x DVD +- RW
WD 160 gig 7200 rpm hd
WD 750 gig 7200 rpm hd
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Razer Naga mouse
Corsair GS700
LG 22" L226WTQ