Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-04, 04:57 PM   #1
aAv7

Default Crytek lies yet again, no HDR incorporated in patch 1.3!!

So after months of waiting, I made a thread here about a month back stating how sm3.0 textures and new scenes like the "rocks on the beach" scene were scratched out of the 1.3 patch. Crytek claimed it was too buggy and said they might, just might, put those scenes in the 64-bit version, but nothing is set in stone. ( Seeing as it takes them 6 months for a patch, I'd say the 64-bit version of this game will come out 2 days after DNF)

After talking on a forum to someone from crytek, he stated that HDR would still be an option that would be implemented, but now that we have gotten the change log from version 1.2 to 1.3, there is NO MENTION of hdrl whatsoever. Here's the log

Patch 1.3 change log

* Fixed a crash with the ForkLift when loading some levels.
* Fixed a bug that prevented levels from loading after saving in a previous level.
* Returned surround 5.1 sound option to the menu.
* Fixed a mounted weapon traverse problem.
* Fixed problems related to shaders1.pak and scripts1.pak not being removed on installation of the patch.
* Fixed a delay relating to tagging enemies in binocular mode.
* Normal Map Compression. Requirements: NVidia: Geforce FX Family or better, ATI: x800 card or better. This feature is disabled by default. To enable it, type r_TexNormalMapCompressed 1 in the console after loading a level. Enabling this feature during the game may take some time - the PC may appear to freeze. This variable will not be saved when restarting the game. Enabling normal map compression will have prolonged execution the first time running through a level due to initial compression phase occurring in real time through the level. Subsequent reloads of the same level will yield better performance and therefore we recommend that you run any benchmark twice and to take the second of the two runs for benchmarking purposes since this most closely represents the usual user experience.
* SM 3.0 and SM 2.0x are now enabled by default when graphics settings are set to ‘Very High’. To see performance increases you must have Direct X 9.0c installed.
* Improved tangent-space calculation to improve bumpmap quality.
* Anisotropic filtering disabled for some textures (light-maps, several lookup textures, fall-off maps) for increased performance.
* When attempting to connect to PunkBuster regulated servers, make sure you are not running with –DEVMODE enabled. Run the Farcry.exe itself (not a shortcut) if you are unsure.
* If you are kicked from a PunkBuster enabled server with the reason “No packet flow”, make sure the Windows XP internal firewall is disabled.
* Improved syncronization in multiplayer.
* Fixed bug in leaning with different player classes.
* Fixed an invisible wall exploit in mp_freighter.
* Please ensure you have your graphics cards latest drivers installed.

This doesn't sound like much for a game with a horribly,buggy netcode does it? What's worse is the only option promised that they did deliver on is Normal Map Compression....or what ati has touted as 3dc. Problem is, 3dc used on ati cards uses higher compression than that of nv40 cards-which means they lowered the compression mode so it would also run on nvidia hardware. These means they've pretty much screwed everyone, whether you own ati or nvidia, regardless of what features you were looking for....

Rocks on the beach scene? Shown in April during nvidia's launch party-as part of the benefits of sm3.0. Then shown again in May @ e3.....now said to be a possible special feature of the 64-bit version

HDRL? Promised since April, again, at nvidia's launch party and now mysteriously gone with no explanation whatsoever.

3DC? Well...not really, they dummied it down to run on a wider range of cards. Perfect example of this is what they did with sm2.0b. At first Nvidia owners were glad to hear of sm3.0 to speed up shaders in farcry, then out of left field came sm2.0b, which did the same thing sm3.0 did. That's what they've done here. Normal map compression can be done on more cards, so they opted for it.

Now I know 90% of the posts will say " who cares, hl2 is coming soon" but it's annoying that a company gets away with such lies. It really, really bothers me. Their bs helped sell nv40 cards and copies of their game. None of the special effects we were supposed to get have been given to us. Even ati owners are getting screwed. It's just a darn shame that a company can post pics, do interviews (like one at firingsquad) on how hdr and 3dc are being incorporated and then not give us any of those features promised. Isn't that fasle advertising? Falsifying the public?

It's not so much that I'm ticked we wont get the features, i'm ticked that we were told we'd get the features and then we dont get them. Blunt lying and getting away with it, thats what urghs me . Thanks for reading the rant, feel free to post in the ubisoft.com forums if you're also upset by this ....the more complaints the better. Oh and uh....bring on HL2...
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
Old 10-15-04, 05:22 PM   #2
GamerGuyX

Default Re: Crytek lies yet again, no HDR incorporated in patch 1.3!!

Is this piece of crap patch even out yet anyways?

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
Old 10-15-04, 05:36 PM   #3
aAv7

Supposedly next week. Yippie, next week, we WONT be able to enable HDR, ati owners WONT be able to enable true 3dc.....can't wait...really....
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
Old 10-15-04, 05:38 PM   #4
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

crytek sucks.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
Old 10-15-04, 05:43 PM   #5
aAv7

I wish I could find a site that could report to the public, what crytek is doing/has done. They shouldn't get away with lying to so many.

Old 10-15-04, 06:01 PM   #6
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Hey guys,

why does crytek suck? They gave us a quality game, on a quality engine, with good performance and we got our fun out of it. Just because they didnt incorporate feature which FEW PEOPLE CAN USE, doesnt mean they suck.
Old 10-15-04, 06:10 PM   #7
aAv7

Imo it does. They flat out lied to nvidia and ati users....about features they would implement. They have also ignored many a' bug in the multiplatyer portion of the game. So sure, single player may be quality....but they ignored good performance on quantity.....multiplayer. I can't sit around playing sp 100 times....we wanted better net code for mp so the game could get more use, rather than just be a benchmark for new drivers. The lack of new features also cripples the modding community....anyone who was thinking of using 3dc or hdr in their mod now, cant. It's just alot of crap they've spilled out. If they had no intention of using special features, they need not announce them.

Old 10-15-04, 06:12 PM   #8
GamerGuyX

Sorry Intel17, but I agree with Ultimate on this one.

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]

Old 10-15-04, 06:54 PM   #9
noko
noko

I still loved the game and when 1.3 comes out I will start playing it again. FarCry, DoomIII, FarCry, DoomIII, FarCry . . . HL2 (come on I am in a infinite loop here). In the meantime I picked up Slinter Cell for $14 at Target .
Old 10-15-04, 07:00 PM   #10
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Ha, HDR will come out in patch 5.9!!!! I remember when CryTek put on a show with the "Rocks on the Beach" and told everyone that the 6800 could do all of this and blah blah. Where the heck is it? I say it will never be released.
Old 10-15-04, 07:06 PM   #11
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate17
Imo it does. They flat out lied to nvidia and ati users....about features they would implement. They have also ignored many a' bug in the multiplatyer portion of the game. So sure, single player may be quality....but they ignored good performance on quantity.....multiplayer. I can't sit around playing sp 100 times....we wanted better net code for mp so the game could get more use, rather than just be a benchmark for new drivers. The lack of new features also cripples the modding community....anyone who was thinking of using 3dc or hdr in their mod now, cant. It's just alot of crap they've spilled out. If they had no intention of using special features, they need not announce them.
Who cares? Does HDR really make the game much more fun? Didn't think so. now netcode, I can understand.
Old 10-15-04, 08:16 PM   #12
aAv7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17
Who cares? Does HDR really make the game much more fun? Didn't think so. now netcode, I can understand.
HDR makes it more enjoyable for graphic hounds. It also justifies a purchase of a $4-500 dollar video card glamourized with sm3.0, it makes the game itself that much more entertaining.

At least you understand my argument about the netcode.

Closed Thread