Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-11-02, 03:49 AM   #1
GamblerFEXonlin
polygons are fun!

Send a message via ICQ to GamblerFEXonlin
Default NVIDIA Skipper - "enormous polygon counts"

http://www.nvnews.net/#1036954373

"Enormous polygon counts with special rendering mode for GeForce3 and GeForce4. Dot 3 bump mapping, pixel shaders and vertex shaders. Gorgeous real time water reflection."

If they call this high-poly and are almost saying "this is what graphics you can expect from a GF3 and GF4" I am dissapointed. They could at least have used bumpmapping on the boats details/windows. The water looks good but it seems thats where all the polygons went, the bridge in the background and its little island is just awful.

I wanto see doom3 like bumpmapping and lightening/shadowing, that is what I find next-gen and impressive now, not reflective and refractive pixel-shaded water effects (and the rest looks cartoony like most other games). But of course, not the polycount in doom3 that one is awful, but I guess its all we can have so far because those polygons casts exact real-time shadows and they are animated so any more is too much for the CPU and AGP and graphics cards stencil buffer performance? I would love to read why doom3 has so low polycount.

Polygons? I'll Take a Pass

In this article Carmack is quoted, he wants "100 passes per polygon" (I can see that if you fire a rocket with see-through rocketsmoke sprites and it has 100 of those hehe). But with an attitiude like that there is no motivation for 3dcard manufactorers to do something about the pointy fingers. Im sure the ears look funny close-up and the nose has no holes.

With his no polygons-rather-a-pass attitude I see a Doom4 game with the monster-count and large outdoor areas like doom1 and 2 but this time the difference is the sprites have bumpmapping (pixel-shading) and real-time lightening and shadows. As in Doom1 and 2 the monsters are only sprites, i.e a flat object with an animated texture on it.

Laugh all you want but Doom3 will be the benchmark reviewers will test hardware on and 3Dcard manufactorers will develop hardware and drivers for, just like Quake3 was. That means 3 years with no real high-poly characters. Bumpmapping can only do so much, if you get up close, or look at it from the side, only polygons can provide real-looking graphics. Bumpmapping would be good for the even smaller details, like pores and the small wrinkles in the skin. Here I'm sure Carmack wanto bumpmap the ears details, just wait and see when Doom3 is out.

Last edited by GamblerFEXonlin; 11-11-02 at 03:53 AM.
GamblerFEXonlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-02, 06:22 AM   #2
StealthHawk

Default Re: NVIDIA Skipper - "enormous polygon counts"

Quote:
Originally posted by GamblerFEXonlin
But of course, not the polycount in doom3 that one is awful, but I guess its all we can have so far because those polygons casts exact real-time shadows and they are animated so any more is too much for the CPU and AGP and graphics cards stencil buffer performance? I would love to read why doom3 has so low polycount.
i'm sure that Carmack has explicitly stated that it is because of the lighting system. and that has been reiterated many times by many different people here and in other boards.

Quote:
Laugh all you want but Doom3 will be the benchmark reviewers will test hardware on and 3Dcard manufactorers will develop hardware and drivers for, just like Quake3 was. That means 3 years with no real high-poly characters. Bumpmapping can only do so much, if you get up close, or look at it from the side, only polygons can provide real-looking graphics. Bumpmapping would be good for the even smaller details, like pores and the small wrinkles in the skin. Here I'm sure Carmack wanto bumpmap the ears details, just wait and see when Doom3 is out.
and who says that other devs that license the Doom 3 engine will be constrained by low polycounts for as long as the engine is in use? look at what has been done with the Quake 3 engine. the games begotten by it look much better than the original Quake 3 ever did.
Old 11-11-02, 07:44 AM   #3
Uttar

Send a message via AIM to Uttar Send a message via Yahoo to Uttar

Well, Virtual Skipper 2 Demo simply crashes my PC, so I couldn't comment :P

As for Carmack and Doom 3. The problem with Doom 3 is SHADOWS. Doom 3 will stress the vertex engine too, but if there's the option to disable shadows ( I suppose there'll be such a thing, but I'm not sure ) , you'll rapidly see that the vertex engine isn't stressed. At all.

Shadows in Doom 3 seem to be AMAZING.

And it sounds like Carmack didn't just say that polygons were no longer so important. He made the whole industry say it.
Why do you think there's only a 1.5X increase in Vertex Shading but a 2X increase in Pixel Shading with the NV30?
I can already imagine the scene...
"Give me unlimited fillrate NOW or I'll put your driver problems public. And you wouldn't want your so high reputation Detonators being considered as completely useless, right?"
"Yes, master Carmack. We'll give you so much fillrate you'll be able to put a thousand lights at 128 bit color rendering. But PLEASE! Spare our driver reputation!"

Actually, Carmack is a lot more objective than that. But I'm certain he pretty much put the whole industry in the "fillrate is everything" direction again... Good ole Carmack

And BTW, it's not a so bad thing that there aren't so many polygons. That way, at least, 6X Antialiasing at 1600x1200 won't be required to make it all look as good as possible

Uttar
Uttar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-02, 05:32 PM   #4
Pafet
GeForce 7900GT

to tell you the truth, IMO unreal 2 is just like the original Unreal (and the best at that) only with high polycount and killer-size textures. the shadows are nice but nothing more.

I believe that good engines come first with features limited to current hardware and as new games come out, which use that engine, they add those - polies and textures.

I hate to bring it up AGAIN (actually I love it ) but get a load of the "Quake - Tenebrae" with the new HiRes textures (some twice the size used in the leak) and tell me it doesn't look good...
BTW they're also working on detailed models as well

http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/
Pafet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-02, 07:16 PM   #5
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Uttar
Why do you think there's only a 1.5X increase in Vertex Shading but a 2X increase in Pixel Shading with the NV30?
well, it could have something to do with Vertex Shaders already being more powerful and flexible than Pixel Shaders, which is why more work needed to be done on the PS side.
Old 11-11-02, 11:40 PM   #6
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Pafet
to tell you the truth, IMO unreal 2 is just like the original Unreal (and the best at that) only with high polycount and killer-size textures. the shadows are nice but nothing more.

I believe that good engines come first with features limited to current hardware and as new games come out, which use that engine, they add those - polies and textures.

I hate to bring it up AGAIN (actually I love it ) but get a load of the "Quake - Tenebrae" with the new HiRes textures (some twice the size used in the leak) and tell me it doesn't look good...

Wow those are coming along really nicely. Maybe I'll re-install Maya and put out a few models, heh, not touching 3DS again, I hate it.
Old 11-12-02, 10:59 AM   #7
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

i think the models in doom3 have an almost tenabre look to them... in that the bump mapping makes the textures look silly at points, cus they get too shinny... yeah its good, at times great but the edges of things look stupid... its a step in the right direction but we cant forget polys!
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-02, 11:41 AM   #8
SavagePaladin
info*****

Quote:
Originally posted by Pafet

It doesn't look good

(Hides in his hole since people will figure out rather quickly that hes the only one on Earth that thinks so)

What I think would look good....is a computer and 3d and 3d sound system fast enough that any limits weren't directly noticable. Yes, that's too much to ask, but whatever.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-02, 01:16 AM   #9
SavagePaladin
info*****

Speaking of, Gambler, why not whine about something useful like that shot not being in high res or with FSAA. Yes, of course it doesn't look too good at its conditions.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-02, 10:08 AM   #10
Scooter
shoes

Send a message via ICQ to Scooter
Red face

8==========D *******
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-02, 10:18 AM   #11
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk