Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-26-04, 06:19 AM   #1
EvilJolly

Default XFX 5900XT Strange colors/patters.

I was running an XFX 5900XT card in my computer for about 6 months with no problem. Suddenly I started having problems with bizarre patterns on the screen, reboots, blue screens, game crashes....the works. I checked everything, reformatted, rewired all of my power cables inside the computer, and re-installed EVERYTHING. I figured it had to be something wrong with the card so I RMA'd it and got another one. I got the new one, and I played a game for about 7 hours, exited the game and started to do some video editing and suddenly this happens (very similar to the first one)

This also happened repeatedly when I rebooted. Yes I had the molex plugged in and the fan was on, the card was actually running quite cool and I don't believe overheating was the problem.

When I first started having problems with the first card, I would reboot and even the windows XP startup logo would be messed up and sometimes the BIOS screen for the video card would be strange colors and disorted. It wouldn't even make it to the welcome screen every time. Here's an image of the first one when it actually made it to the welcome screen....

I had to take pictures with a digital camera since I couldn't manage to get a graphic program open, so sorry about the blurryness on the 1st pic. During the time this is happening, my mouse lags SEVERELY and the computer will eventually just freeze up. My cooling is fine...CPU runs around 100-110F and case is in the low to mid 80s. I have a 430W Antec power supply. My Geforce4 TI 4200 runs fine for hours on end, which is also 8x AGP. I've flashed my bios with the latest revision, and I am using an Asus A78NX-Deluxe Motherboard. Any suggestions? I can't see how I could have got 2 defective cards, but I don't see what else it could be...possibly the power supply going bad? Buy even under max load the 4200ti has no problems. I'm not sure what I should try replacing, and I don't have another computer to test this video card in, not to mention it might run fine for a while then suddenly have problems. This so so
EvilJolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-04, 07:17 AM   #2
jimmor

Default Re: XFX 5900XT Strange colors/patters.

EvilJolly,

Because you have had same problem with two different FX5900 cards, but not with TI4200 card, I would first of all suspect your PSU. The PSU loading of a 5900 is a lot higher than a 4200.

I am however assuming that you have not been modding or flashing bios's for the 5900 card. Because the kind of problem you are experiencing can also be caused by wrong bios settings ?

It is also a pity you have no access to another computer, because sometimes it is the only efficient way to isolate a hardware problem !

Intel P4 3.2 @ 3.85GHz (ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe)
BFG 6800GS (16x1,6vp) @ 300/430/1200.

Driver, 82.12 :-
Aquamark3, 75039
Codecreatures1, 90.8
3Dmark05 v120, 6195
3Dmark03 v360, 14334
3Dmark06 v102, 2949
3Dmark2001se v330, 23793.
jimmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-04, 04:24 PM   #3
EvilJolly

Yes I was suspecting the PSU also, but I didn't think the 5900 would be using much power just on boot. I can push the 4200 in a looping 3dmark stress test with no problems, but the 5900 can't even make it into windows sometimes. Is the 5900 really going to be pulling more power even during startup? No I have not done any bios modifications. With the first card I tried overclocking it when I first got it just to see what it could do, but I set them back to defaults and it ran ok for those 6 months. I am just wondering if it could be anything else? Does anybody else have any ideas before I go and buy a new PSU? btw, Thanks for the input jimmor!
Old 10-26-04, 04:44 PM   #4
EvilJolly

I'm not sure if this will help at all, but this is what my stats looked like while I was running prime95's toruture test for about 20 minutes. This is with the 4200ti in there, because I can't make it into windows with the 5900 for long. All of the voltages look ok to me, would the only way to tell be by looking at it with the 5900 in there?

Old 10-26-04, 05:28 PM   #5
jimmor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilJolly
I'm not sure if this will help at all, but this is what my stats looked like while I was running prime95's toruture test for about 20 minutes. This is with the 4200ti in there, because I can't make it into windows with the 5900 for long. All of the voltages look ok to me, would the only way to tell be by looking at it with the 5900 in there?

Everything looks ok as you say, however you would need to see same data with 5900 under fault condition. Which obviously may not be possible if display is corrupt.

Also your point about loading of a 5900 likely being lower during post is probably valid, however that doesn't mean it isn't enough to overload or overheat something in your PSU.

Because the problem you are experiencing doesn't happen all the time, it appears more like a bad interface, overtemperature or as said psu loading fault.

But of course we are always discounting the FX5900, just because it is a second card. Which is all more reason to try in another computer. The only time I remember having the kind of display problems you are seeing was when the memory timing of my 5900 was badly set up

If we now consider the mobo interface,

1) are your mobo device drivers up to date
2) are you overclocking your CPU/RAM
3) is your RAM making good contact ---> pressed in securely enough. RAM overheating or not seated properly can certainly cause bad display corruption.
4) is the interface cable from your 5900 card to the monitor ok ----> no loose wires or bent pins.

Intel P4 3.2 @ 3.85GHz (ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe)
BFG 6800GS (16x1,6vp) @ 300/430/1200.

Driver, 82.12 :-
Aquamark3, 75039
Codecreatures1, 90.8
3Dmark05 v120, 6195
3Dmark03 v360, 14334
3Dmark06 v102, 2949
3Dmark2001se v330, 23793.
jimmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-04, 06:25 PM   #6
EvilJolly

1) are your mobo device drivers up to date
-Yes
2) are you overclocking your CPU/RAM
-CPU, yes from 2100+ rating to 2400+ rating, but I have also tried it at defaults. Ram is running at defaults. The only changes I made to my BIOS settings were disabling secondary NVidia network card, onboard firewire, and the POST test speech reporter.
3) is your RAM making good contact ---> pressed in securely enough. RAM overheating or not seated properly can certainly cause bad display corruption.
-I have reseated the RAM and every other part inside the computer, but if it was ram wouldn't it happen on both video cards? Also, I am using Corsair XMS 6-2-2-2.
4) is the interface cable from your 5900 card to the monitor ok ----> no loose wires or bent pins.
-No the cable is find, but also remember the mouse lags, and I have blue screen problems and reboots so I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the monitor. The blue screens and reboots only occur after the video card starts to act up. With the 4200ti I have 0 stability problems.

I think your first assumption was probably the best. Although I have found Antec power supplies to be reliable, there's always a chance that something has become faulty. I can't think of a reason why anything on the motherboard would not have the same problems with the 4200 since it's also 8X agp, but as you said the 5900 is probably drawing more power. It's strange though that it happened on the second card after many hours of continuous gaming and not during. Or there's that one in a million chance I got two defective cards...
Old 10-26-04, 08:08 PM   #7
EvilJolly

We can rule out power supply, must be something wrong with the motherboard that only affects the 5900. I am at a loss here as to what it could be and why my 4200 runs just fine. I purchased a new 480W antec and am having the exact same problem. Oh well, any suggestions are welcome.
Old 10-26-04, 11:09 PM   #8
theultimo
DoD + Sharepoint=Headache

Tried disabling FW/4xAGP? Fixed a few comps I know of with a Radeon, might be a prob.
theultimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-04, 09:18 PM   #9
EvilJolly

Alright well before I go out and try a new motherboard and chip, thought I'd get a little more input from you guys. I tried 4x AGP, same problem.
here's a picture that's a little more clear than the first one...
http://eviljolly.com/stuff/wtf2.jpg

Anyways this is what has been attempted...
-Power supply replaced
-Windows Reinstalled
-All drivers upgraded to most recent
-Tried downgrading drivers to version which I knew were stable.
-Flashed BIOS (did not change any settings related to video)
-Reseated all parts inside computer including ram.
-Video Card has been replaced via RMA
-Ran hardware stress test for 24 hours without any errors. (Prime95)

Keep in mind that...
-Geforce 4 4200ti works perfectly (slow...but perfectly)
-Original Geforce 5900XT worked fine for about 6 months.

I can see only one other possibility that the second video card was also defective (highly improbable)
Old 11-11-04, 04:37 PM   #10
lostboyuk

Some time back I saw near enough the same screen shot on another forum,this guys problem was the actual connector on the video card,ie :the monitor lead to graphics card ,if he moved the connection about it produced the same screen shot you have posted...it turned out to be crap soldering to the pcb ...I think you have another duff v.card there.have you tried the card in another pc....a mates or something...this would be the best bet.
Jeff.
lostboyuk is offline   Reply With Quote