Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-11-02, 12:03 PM   #1
Raffles

Default GF4, SuSE 8.1 and 3D

Hi,

Just installed SuSE 8.1 and the Nvidia drivers 3123.
The links are right but 3Ddiag keeps complaining that 3D acceleration doesn't work. It suggests i set defaultdepth to 16 in the XF86Config file.
If i do that 3Ddiag is satisfied, but i want to use a color depth of 24 or 32. Tuxracer also complains 3D acceleration is not enabled. Despite it runs fine too.

My games like tribes2 en ut2003 seem to run fine. Framerate in tribes varies from 50-90. I guess 3D acceleration works despite 3Ddiag nags about it.

Please your opinion.
Raffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-02, 11:57 PM   #2
feeyo

Lightbulb enable 3D supportl

hi,
did you try to enable 3D support!??
go into YaST2 Screen en enter the graphic card configuration. use a color depth of 16! or else your 3D supoort doesn't work that good.

You can Enable 3D support there 2 restart your X and there you go.
feeyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-02, 06:01 AM   #3
Raffles

Default Re: enable 3D supportl

Quote:
Originally posted by feeyo
hi,
did you try to enable 3D support!??
go into YaST2 Screen en enter the graphic card configuration. use a color depth of 16! or else your 3D supoort doesn't work that good.
This means i can't have a colordepth of 24/32 in my games? Do you know an url where i can read about this in depth. 3D acceleration is a hardware thing. Imho if the correct drivers are installed and the libs are correctly linked to these drivers it should work. So i don't understand why there's only 3D acceleration with a 16 bits colordepth setup and not with 24/32 bits col. depth. Will be very glad if so is willing to enligthen me on this subject.
Old 11-12-02, 06:06 AM   #4
feeyo

Default geforce 2 ?

What Geforce you have? 32MB 64MB??
i have a geforce 2 MX 400 / 32MB and my 3D Acceleration can only be in combination with 16bit color depth.. anyhow thats what i have read in the config screen from YaST2 (graphic card properties)
Old 11-13-02, 08:50 AM   #5
Raffles

Default Re: geforce 2 ?

Quote:
What Geforce you have? 32MB 64MB??
i have a geforce 2 MX 400 / 32MB and my 3D Acceleration can only be in combination with 16bit color depth.. anyhow thats what i have read in the config screen from YaST2 (graphic card properties)
I have a GF 4 4200 128 mb. Before i had a Geforce 2 MX which ran fine too on a colordepth of 24.
Since this thread started i went back to 16 bit colordepth just to be sure :-) The graphics still look good.

I noticed a big difference between the compiled nvidia driver in an rpm archive and the uncompiled driver. After compiling and installing the 3123 driver UT2003 seemed to run much smoother than before.
Old 11-13-02, 10:09 AM   #6
feeyo

Default Cool

wow cool graphics card!
So u are saying that the Tar archive is much beter then the precompiled (rpm) one?

Thanx i am gonna test it out
Old 11-13-02, 01:02 PM   #7
Raffles

Default Re: Cool

Quote:
wow cool graphics card!
So u are saying that the Tar archive is much beter then the precompiled (rpm) one? Thanx i am gonna test it out
It's a cool graphics card indeed.They are getting less expensive. I play games so often it seems like a good investment.

It looks like the tar archive performs better on my system.I didn't test witch benchmarks :-)
So i'm very curious if you notice any difference with the rpm archive?
Old 11-13-02, 01:07 PM   #8
feeyo

Default Re: Re: Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Raffles
It's a cool graphics card indeed.They are getting less expensive. I play games so often it seems like a good investment.

It looks like the tar archive performs better on my system.I didn't test witch benchmarks :-)
So i'm very curious if you notice any difference with the rpm archive?

I havent tested it yet i'll do it tonight or tomorow, i'll have you updated.

http://www.source-unlimited.com very nice prices!
only the order area isn't really fixed yet.

Old 11-13-02, 04:31 PM   #9
feeyo

Lightbulb bad...

Ok i used the tars and that really broke my whole X.
i have been busy for like 1 hour trying to fix it...

I had to reinstall the dummy drivers (from SuSE).
And then do a reinstall (official) Drivers..

now i am using the expert option NoRenderAccel and mouse shadow.... it works fine
Till now my graphics are stable. i didn't tested on a game yet... but i have to say after doing those uninstalling and installing again.. the Xserver is even more stable then first...

Anyhows i am gonna try adding some other expert options to see what hapens lol
Old 11-14-02, 03:52 AM   #10
Raffles

Default Re: bad...

Quote:
Ok i used the tars and that really broke my whole X.
i have been busy for like 1 hour trying to fix it...

I had to reinstall the dummy drivers (from SuSE).
And then do a reinstall (official) Drivers..

now i am using the expert option NoRenderAccel and mouse shadow.... it works fine
Till now my graphics are stable. i didn't tested on a game yet... but i have to say after doing those uninstalling and installing again.. the Xserver is even more stable then first...

Anyhows i am gonna try adding some other expert options to see what hapens lol
Linux is fun too :-). It took me a few days to set up my system with the new distro. It's not always easy, but in the end it's very rewarding. Did you shut down X before removing the old drivers and installing the tar archive? The GLX driver f.i. from the tar archive will be placed in /usr/lib. The rpm archive places it in the /usr/lib/GL. So the symbolic links 'Gl.so.x' etc must point to the new location of the driver. Here it went without problems.
Old 11-15-02, 04:04 AM   #11
feeyo

Thumbs up

Yeah thats what i love about linux sometimes its a pain in the ass, but when its finished and it works yor soo happy

yes i did it in text mode, i started my box without X. ( Runlevel 3 ) And then installed the tar.

Buuut i geusse i forgot to point the symbolic links to the new one's haha lol oops my bad..

Anyhow. i cant believe how good it works right now, but 1 tiny problem.
I sometimes still have a same problem.....
And that is that sometimes my mouse pointer gets black and then pressing a window or moving my mouse a black trail follows.. pressing a window makes my whole window go black..

do you have this problem too?
and do you know how to fix it?

.....respect.....
Old 11-15-02, 02:38 PM   #12
Raffles

Quote:
And that is that sometimes my mouse pointer gets black and then pressing a window or moving my mouse a black trail follows.. pressing a window makes my whole window go black..

do you have this problem too?
and do you know how to fix it?
.....respect.....
I've never seen that problem. A few times when i started up i noticed an erratic mouse pointer. Can't control the mouse and i have to restart X. Don't know how to fix that either. This problem is so rare i can't reproduce it. Before 8.1 i used SuSE 7.1 (XFree 4.0.2). Later i compiled a 2.4.19 kernel which replaced kernel 2.2.18. This was a terrible stable combination. Can't even remember if it ever failed.

SuSE 8.1 runs with a 2.4.19 kernel and xf86 4.2. Perhaps it's something with this xf86 version. When you find a solution for your mouse i'll be glad to hear it.