Closed Thread

Old 10-19-04, 08:50 PM   #1
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Exclamation Internet connection needed for retail HL2

Quote:
Response (JonH) 10/19/2004 01:18 PM
Hello,

"Will it require setting up a STEAM account so that the game can be authenticated ONLINE at install time? (and then play OFFLINE)"

Exactly, this is how the game will be 'activated'.
Just an interesting tidbit I found on the net
Old 10-19-04, 08:58 PM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: Internet connection needed for retail HL2

Boo! Hiss!

Activation is teh deval.
Old 10-19-04, 09:26 PM   #3
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
Boo! Hiss!

Activation is teh deval.
ROFL.

Well, I hope that once it is activated, no more Steam to play a Valve game. I don't mind going through Steam to play CS:S now, but what happens if my cable (internet) connection goes out for some reason? I'd rather have a seperate executable on my desktop and NOT go through Steam. But that's my opinion.
Old 10-20-04, 12:03 AM   #4
Son Goku

Another company goes the way of software activation. That doesn't give us many details (such as if it will tie to hardware like XP activation or not, will we have to call in on a re-install, etc)...but I can say I don't like activation as it is.

As I mentioned years ago, it isn't just XP and one call to Microsoft, but if other companies copy their example one could end up having to make a seperate call for every piece of software on their HD on each reinstall. Sorry, but I don't particularly like having to speak on the phone that much, let along beg for permission to reinstall a program I payed for.

Another company/product goes the way of activation and we have yet to see how encombersome this will be for the consumer.
Old 10-20-04, 12:06 AM   #5
|MaguS|

Im all for it! Maybe they should even use a USB Key to lock it! F them Pirates!

Old 10-20-04, 12:22 AM   #6
CaptNKILL
CUBE

So what if the game has a bad install and I activate and have to reinstall...

Bah... why the hell do they have to make it so damned complicated. No matter what they do there will be illegal versions of the game scattered all over the planet. Windows XP had pretty stiff protection yet im willing to bet that around half of the computers with XP installed are using it illegally (one way or another).

Its been said a million times before. The only people this crap hurts are the paying customers. Its irritating as hell to have to go through with things like this. Besides, if I have 2 computers and want to try the game on both I should be able to. Im only one person, I cant very well play them both at the same time can I?
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
Old 10-20-04, 01:09 AM   #7
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Wow, that's increadibly stupid...and what's even worse is that the cracked version of the game probably won't have this limitation. I think I'll call them as soon as I get the game and complain I can't play it because I don't have internet (not that I don't, but not all the computers I have at my house are currently networked and I'd like to be able to play HL2 on any of them, saying "I can't play it at all" sounds more critical ). *sigh*, it's like we're returning to the old days of color wheels and manual codes in order to "validate" a game.
Old 10-20-04, 03:16 AM   #8
Son Goku

If winXP is any indication it is not the pirates that get effected by these stupid activation schemes. After they've downloaded their Devil's Own release or whatever else, they could care less. It is the honest people who pay the price with these schemes, even while the pirates invariably find another way.

Arguments of "anti-piracy" hold no weight with me here... Anything that can be setup in software can also be broken in software as well. And though Devil's Own isn't technically a crack (it's a leaked corporate release), beta 2 and all the release candidates of Windows XP were cracked. I had winXP prior to release from an MSDN subscription, and yes I was quite well aware of the cracks and where to get them. If it wasn't cracked in the final, but just leaked...it's probably largely to the fact that peeps aren't necessarily going to spend the time cracking something, when there's an easier way to get it out. In such matters, humans can tend to be a bit on the lazy side, taking the easier path to accomplish their goals.

This should also be brought into consideration here, as I know matter of factly that people who never warzed things before XP activation were quite willing to consider it even when having a purchased copy of winXP. Same might end up occuring here, if activation becomes more of a pain/more work then cracking it, with those who are most honest being the one's who get stuck the most.

Old 10-20-04, 04:25 AM   #9
CaptNKILL
CUBE

I just thought about something else thats totaly rediculous about this...

What if 10 years down the road I want to play HL2 again? Its likely that Steam will be gone (very few programs last that long in this industry... valve may even be gone), which means HL2 will be totaly USELESS. Without the Steam servers, you simply will NOT be able to install it.

If Valve was so damned worried about piracy, youd think they would use their amazing new Steam purchasing system and make the games a fraction of the retail cost. If some pirate had a choice of slowly downloading the game illegally over the course of a month and then not being able to play online OR spending $25-$30 to download it from Steam legally, Im willing to bet that most wouldnt pirate it.
Right now they either pay $50+ to download it, $50+ to buy it retail or download it for free illegally. Im not going to lie, if I had a guaranteed chance to get it for free, I would consider it (though Id probably buy it eventually anyway just to have it).

Its like the chicken and egg thing. They raise the prices of the games to make up for pirated copies which are downloaded because the games cost too much. Actually no, I guess they just raise the prices of the games because they want to be rich
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
Old 10-20-04, 04:50 AM   #10
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

Unhappy Re: Internet connection needed for retail HL2

Everything's got to be done Valve's way hasn't it? Is this 100% confirmed? If it is, **** them. I don't see why i have to ask them in order to install their game i legally bought, or have to mess with Steam just because they say so. I could perfectly understand the anti-piracy thinking behind it but i don't see why they should **** everybody (legal owners included) for that. I get the impression that they're doing this ONLY in order to milk the game as much as they can and get every last penny out of it, without caring about their hard work being stolen/wasted each time an illegal copy is sold. Valve has been pushing the envelope way too much with their hyped game and unfortunately 99% of gamers prefer to obey, drop their pants down and bend over. I'm sick of it. No HL2 for me looks like
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP
Old 10-20-04, 05:05 AM   #11
FierceDeityLink

Send a message via AIM to FierceDeityLink Send a message via MSN to FierceDeityLink Send a message via Yahoo to FierceDeityLink

Valve can't make Half-Life 2 available for less money on Steam. More than likely, Half-Life 2 will be tied to your Steam account, so if you have to reinstall, you can just have Steam rebuild the cache files. If Steam is ever shut down, there will probably be a new version of the architecture (e.g.: WON -> Steam), so you'd end up needing to download a patch. Of course, none of this is possible if you don't have an internet connection unless they opt to allow calling for activation (dunno how with the global simultaneous release).

I don't care if I have to activate, because it will have already been done because I purchased through Steam.
Old 10-20-04, 05:11 AM   #12
mezkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZCA M12
Everything's got to be done Valve's way hasn't it? Is this 100% confirmed? If it is, **** them. I don't see why i have to ask them in order to install their game i legally bought, or have to mess with Steam just because they say so. I could perfectly understand the anti-piracy thinking behind it but i don't see why they should **** everybody (legal owners included) for that. I get the impression that they're doing this ONLY in order to milk the game as much as they can and get every last penny out of it, without caring about their hard work being stolen/wasted each time an illegal copy is sold. Valve has been pushing the envelope way too much with their hyped game and unfortunately 99% of gamers prefer to obey, drop their pants down and bend over. I'm sick of it. No HL2 for me looks like
ummm I really REALLY don't see what the issue is here. Are you going to be playing the game online? Will you let it download updates?

So what's the difference if it needs to be authenticated to start? So do Yahoo, MSN messenger and umpteen other apps we have on our "connected" PCs.

If you are connected enough to care about your signature on a chat board then I think you won't find it unusual for HL2 to connect to authenticate.

[ArnieVoice]
Stop whining!
[/ArnieVoice]
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe