Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-04, 11:47 AM   #25
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default Re: Internet connection needed for retail HL2

I should also add that the quote jAKup showed in the beginning was entirely speculative. So no need to get all your panties in bunches here, fellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karkrash81
I format my pc 2 or 3 times annually so it would be a major inconvenience to have to figure out how to install a game 2 or 3 times a year.
Step 1: Install Steam.
Step 2: Download your games automatically.
Step 3: Play your games.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 10-20-04, 12:07 PM   #26
oldsk00l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
I should also add that the quote jAKup showed in the beginning was entirely speculative. So no need to get all your panties in bunches here, fellas.

Step 1: Install Steam.
Step 2: Download your games automatically.
Step 3: Play your games.
And now the instructions for dialup users:

Install game, dialup, take 15-30 minutes to download/install Steam/setup Steam account.

Then play game.

VS

Install game, enter key/manual code/grid coordinates for the "Where's Gordon" game in the manual for his location (eg Where's Waldo) whatever

Play game.

I see it as a hunk of garbage authentication system. If Valve gave me a $5.00 rebate for activating then hey, all's well, but for someone buying the retail game this is utter BS.

[edit]

In actuality, it might be more convenient for modemers to go download the crack, it's a smaller dl, quicker method.
Old 10-20-04, 12:27 PM   #27
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

Send a message via AIM to karkrash81

ninjaman09...i don't think you understand my point...when i reformat my pc and reinstall i'll have to register the product again and since i previously registered / activated it they will most likely assume i'm trying to install it on another pc...and then i will most likely be prevented from using it...

i had to go through the same problem at work with a 3D design program...i moved computers several times and after the first install when you tried to authenticate it, it would say that the product has already been activated...so i had to call autodesk and clear up the situation, which was a pain...

hence my itunes dilemma...

I don't want to have to call them up and tell them to reset my key or have to wait 2 weeks to do it via email...

the problem isn't the process itself, but the implications for specific situations that might arise...

i hope that clarifies what i said earlier...

anyway, that's my two cents...

edit:
oldsk00l...i thought about a cracked exe or something...if this activation nonsense turns out to be true, i might just do that to save me the trouble...of course, i will buy the product legally...no piracy here
My System: Athlon 64 x2 3800+ overclocked to 4600+/2 GB Geil PC3200/8800 GTS 320 mb/Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard/Logitech z-680's/Total of 760 GB of Hard Drive Space (2x300 + 1x160)/audigy 2/Two 20.1" Widescreen LCD's (Dell 2005fpw)
Favorite movie: Snatch/Favorite Game: NOLF/Song of the Week: "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse/
What I'm Playing this Week: Nothing!
Old 10-20-04, 01:20 PM   #28
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

And you don't understand my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karkrash81
when i reformat my pc and reinstall i'll have to register the product again and since i previously registered / activated it they will most likely assume i'm trying to install it on another pc...and then i will most likely be prevented from using it...
You do not know this. You are assuming it. This entire thread is based on speculation and assumptions, all of which are most likely false considering things that Valve has actually said. None of us have any idea how the activation will work or if we'll need to re-activate Half-Life 2 after unlocking it. I'm going to make an educated guess - we won't. How did I arrive at that conclusion? When I first got steam, I had to enter my Half-Life CD Key. Since then, I have reformatted my system several times. I have not had to re-enter a CD-Key once, and I've had no trouble playing any of my games offline or online. Seeing as it is well known that it is a relatively simple task to back up your GCF files once downloaded, there is absolutely no reason, short of paranoia, to think that you will have any trouble re-installing Half-Life 2. Christ, get a hold of yourselves :P
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 10-20-04, 01:26 PM   #29
Edge
3d animator for hire!

It's ironic that people are practically forced to use cracks just to bypass some BS protection scheme on a game. For example, back on my old computer, whenever I tried running a Safedisc compatable game such as Ground Control when my parallel port adaptor wasn't installed (which I had to replace with a network card for LAN parties), the game would freeze on a black screen and not continue. Worse part is, I didn't even have internet access back then, so I had to go to school, download cracks for all the Safedisc games I owned, put them on discs, and bring them home, just to play games I owned, and only single-player. Or the way that I currently have to use a crack with Stronghold because the 1.2 patch (which of course is needed to play online) doesn't detect my Stronghold CD, so I have to use a crack just to play it (which is actually kinda nice, since I don't need to have the CD in the drive anymore). And yes, I own the legal version of all the aformentioned games...although I often ask myself why I bothered to buy it when I'm required to use illegal methods to play them anyway.

I'm hoping any authentation system Valve uses will be better-implimented than some of these past examples and doesn't assume that you'll only have the game installed on 1 computer, but it really is annoying needing to be connected to the internet on any computer you want to play the game on. I hope it doesn't turn into the huge hassle we had at LAN parties when we were trying to play Steam games when we didn't have internet access where we were playing and there was no Offline mode for Steam. Hopefully this story isn't true, given my current problems I'm having with my ISP and the kind of luck I'm having, it wouldn't suprise me if they were down for a week starting on the 15th of November
Old 10-20-04, 02:32 PM   #30
gmontem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Who gives a ****? Jesus, you people. ALL OF YOU HAVE INTERNET ACCESS OBVIOUSLY. What's the problem? God damn.
At least use your brain for once before you shout. Not everyone use the same machine to play games and connect online. I would not be surprised if there are people here who can only read this forum from work or from some "internet cafe" because they don't have an internet connection at home. Oh wait, I shouldn't be surprised; I'm one of them.
Old 10-20-04, 02:32 PM   #31
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

I (and many other people like me) don't want another useless, memory hungry app running in background in the system tray to play a game I've legally purchased. Or a stupid copy protection that does not allow me to play because I might have installed a CD-burning utility it doesn't like.

I really have enough of these stupid copy protection systems that are only able to piss off legal users while warez kids have their nice cracked appz the same day it's supposed to hit the stores.