Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-04, 05:18 PM   #37
oldsk00l

Default Re: Internet connection needed for retail HL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Maybe because everywhere I look I see people whining and bitching about a game that is still a month off. That gets me mad. And I always write abrasively when I post.

Besides, I can see you've all chosen to ignore the points I've made in my post.
Yeah well I feel left out. Dammit, you never post abrasively to me, and I find that offensive that you post abrasively to everyone else.

j/k dude
Old 10-20-04, 07:03 PM   #38
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

What sucks for me is when i see a few programs i've worked on out there with cracks and whatnot which leaves me out of $$$ in my pocket.
Old 10-20-04, 07:13 PM   #39
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsk00l
Yeah well I feel left out. Dammit, you never post abrasively to me, and I find that offensive that you post abrasively to everyone else.
Sorry! It's just that you don't say things that piss me off. It's sort of a passive gesture of respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmontem
My argument was that not everyone's gaming machine has online access. I can't see how this could not address your points that defended the use of Steam one way or another.
And my argument, which you ignored, was that nobody has the game and therefore cannot comment on the activation system, as any such commentary is entirely speculative. I cannot stand uneducated speculation - it's kind of a pet peeve, you see.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 10-20-04, 07:33 PM   #40
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

Quote:
Sorry! It's just that you don't say things that piss me off. It's sort of a passive gesture of respect

And my argument, which you ignored, was that nobody has the game and therefore cannot comment on the activation system, as any such commentary is entirely speculative. I cannot stand uneducated speculation - it's kind of a pet peeve, you see.
So what do you call what your doing/saying being that you dont know either if there speculation is fud or not?

In anycase I wont mind because I getting the retail and I am always connected to the net. But I understand where some or coming from. At one time my only access was at my college or a friend and I still have a freind who is content with gaming on his laptop with no internet at all but for my house. It all boils down to a needless burden for the consumer that just spent $54.11 and I bet those that steal it will have no problems at all.
Old 10-20-04, 09:44 PM   #41
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidX
So what do you call what your doing/saying being that you dont know either if there speculation is fud or not?
I call it an observation. I merely said that they were speculating, not whether or not they're right. Nobody knows how the activation system will work at this point. My point is - if you don't know what you're talking about, keep your mouth shut.

It's pretty sickening that I even have to explain this. I'm really losing my faith in mankind these days :P
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 10-20-04, 10:23 PM   #42
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

Quote:
I call it an observation. I merely said that they were speculating, not whether or not they're right. Nobody knows how the activation system will work at this point. My point is - if you don't know what you're talking about, keep your mouth shut.

It's pretty sickening that I even have to explain this. I'm really losing my faith in mankind these days :P
Observation huh? Ok let me ensure your faith in mankind again and tend to your ego and tell you that your right in your "observation" and everyone else is wrong in there speculation.
Old 10-20-04, 10:58 PM   #43
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Talking Re: Internet connection needed for retail HL2

Windows , app , activation is bad enough , game activation is totally retarded , and devs wonder why so many pirated software going arround , maybe becouse they jack up prises high and create stupid online activations , you don't have to bother with warez like that greedy bastards
Old 10-21-04, 12:38 AM   #44
mezkal

Yeah! ..and by your definition everyone who wants a Porsche should just go and steal it right? Actually f*ck that. Let's just go total anarchy!! Yeah SMASH THE SYSTEM! Yeah burn HOLLYWOOD BURN!!

It amazes me just how casually people threaten piracy when confronted with nothing more then what amounts to a potential validation feature which is nothing more than THOUSANDS of other companies have been using WORLDWIDE for almost a decade. Valve is centering all of their product release (especially considering the preloads, CSS Betas and the VST) scheduling via STEAM. They are trying something new and those of us who bought in (either with vouchers or pre-ordering online) are also for the most part (the rational percentage of us) willing to join in on the fun. More to the point, this type of transaction and activation sequence is where Valve is headed long term.

Steam allows them to become a SERVICE and CONTENT PROVIDER, with Servers, File and Mod Hosting being the service and Games, Mods, Updates, Movies, Events, Contest being the content. It will also allow them to eventually discard the need for a publisher, like VUG as they can deliver content directly to connected customers.

Right now it's all basically a test. Hell the whole internet is really. Internet Security ( a fundament to online trade) is still a field very much in development. The firewall market is just about settling down. Most of the smaller independents who were "also rans" have been culled. As the firewall market matures so will online trade.

Valve's Steam will at least have some experience in the market by then as other software house migrate online (in 3-5 years that is - judging by current IS trends).

Steam's model is nothing new. The cool thing is it is possibly the first global scale electronic software sale initiative. It will test, not only Valve's but all other levels of international infrastructure, from your local ISP to your nearest UPS (or whatever shipping company Valve will use) and back again.

It will (as it already seems to be doing now) also test a great many people's patience. The promise of online purchase in being able to avoid to the trip to store etc is not quite delivering just yet. Right now some people feel like they've paid their money and they wants their game GOSHDURNIT. Were I 10 years younger I would be inclined to agree.

ah.

But I'm not and so I've already learnt that life makes you pay UPFRONT for a great many things that are more of a gamble than Half Life 2. The trick is too decide which one's you're willing to gamble on and then ante up or shut up. The rest will happen no matter what you do.
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."

Old 10-21-04, 12:45 AM   #45
-=DVS=-

Lightbulb Re: Internet connection needed for retail HL2

mezkal as usual you miss the point and problem

becouse rumor is unconfirmed all this is speculation offcourse , and assumeing HL2 needs strictly steam via internet activation

Question : you got Windows Xp and HalfLife 2 both store bought with CDs and need online activation , but you got no internet

For windows you would call tall free number and activate , what to do with game ? huh im sure as Big Corporate supporter and warez fighter you can figure that out
And as for steam sure its cool but should prise be lower considering you only get software and nothing more.
Old 10-21-04, 01:51 AM   #46
mezkal

The fact that you assume that Valve would mistreat it's unconnected customers so unfairly essentially proves that you have an almost miniscule grasp of business practices. Furthermore, your attempts to insinuate that I'm a "Corporate supporter and warez fighter" are way off. WAY OFF.

You have no idea who I am or what I do so why even try? I'm not insulting you am I? Either personally or indirectly. My comments were general.

You'll note that I did say "potential validation feature". This has not been confirmed (as you so bravely state in teeny tiny text). My comments were aimed in general at the many people who have been sniping at Valve (many from the cheapest seats in the house I might add) and it's uses of Steam to propogate HL2. This thread discusses one of theses potential features/problems. I think therefore my comments are very mucn on topic. I certainly didn't miss any point. But thanks once again for another attempt.

If you wish to resort to piracy to countervent Valve's potential authentication system so that you can play it on a non connected PC that's good for you but don't use that a reason to slam the game. This is the nature of where we're headed. Unless you have a better solution and are willing to R & D, market and bring it too market then stop bitching.
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU

Quote:
Old 10-21-04, 02:11 AM   #47
-=DVS=-

Thumbs down Re: Internet connection needed for retail HL2

Wow not insulting me realy ?, in other thread you called me consumer slave yet again you the one who starts flames, and puts thing out of context.

And you proven your inability to read yet again , i did say and it is a theoretical speculation if it was one way and not another. I don't intend to quote everything twice over for you
Old 10-21-04, 02:22 AM   #48
mezkal

DVS look up. Notice any edits? Now look for the "This has not been confirmed (as you so bravely state in teeny tiny text)". Now read it. Read it again. I know what I said and when and I'm not the one who needs to prove thier ability to comprehend english.

So far you've beaten me insultwise 2:1. Actually scratch that make it 3:1 as you keep trying to insinuate I have an "inability to read".

DVS if english is your native tongue (which I doubt) then maybe you need to look a little word called comprehension. I have read each one of your posts and have responded rationally. Nothing I have said has been "out of context" as you are trying to insinuate. We just don't agree.

I think your bitching is just that. I think that you just want to have a reason to bitch. So go ahead. I won't agree with you.
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU

Quote:
Closed Thread