Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-04, 03:03 AM   #49
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

Default Re: Internet connection needed for retail HL2

Godamn, there are some narrow minded "i don't have a problem so there's no problem" egoists around here. First of all just because somebody's sitting on a permanent fat cable connection (good for him) doesn't mean everyone else's on the same boat therefore the "obviously we're all connected so i don't see what the fuss is all about" argument obviously does NOT stand. It has already been stated that those with multiple computers do tend to have an internet rig, with their good (gaming) one off the net. I think they'd be doing a big favor to Valve to setup a connection just for them and download their app in order to play the game.

Also, saying the activation of a game is pretty much the same with the activation of a well known app like Messenger or an OS is rather incorrect. I think we use some well known apps on a tad more permanent basis than games which come and go all the time but may well return after a little while to our hd's. Excepting the hardcore users who will never uninstall their favorite game, the average user will eventually do it and may reinstall it in say a year or so. Will it not be annoying to be forced to complete a couple of steps for a game he has already purchased long time ago? Looks like we have dudes who uninstall their OS/apps more often than their fav game.

And we're only talking about one game here as correctly stated. Incredibly ( ) there are users that install more games than one on their pc's. And Valve like it or not (not) is one of the biggest and hence one of the most influential studios out there. If such big studios were to do that thing, there's a chance that everyone would follow their example and try to control their community in a similar way. So Steam is just a little app that helps you play the game, merely a front-end? Thanks! How about others following suit with gamers finally being forced to install similar "merely a front-end friend, nothing special" apps for every ****ing game they purchase? Would the likes of you who are sitting up in the skies with a dismissive/grown up/jet set attitude feel stupid or angered then? Ah i know, that was just speculation, therefore it shouldn't be told at all. Way to go philosopher! Congratulations, you just abolished the "Hardware rumor mill" section of this fair forum. But i asked whether it's confirmed, apparently no one knows yet. Until we do get to know the real deal, we can only (yup, you guessed it) speculate.

I guess i could just forgive them for everything but am i the only one who's finding this too much? So far, they hyped a game that was not ready, fervently refused to admit that it was delayed (canceled pre-orders anyone?), they helped sell a few more XT copies too (coincidence obviously), then they admitted that it was never on for a Sep 30 '03 release anyway (so they lied as well). Now the prices of the game are not exactly those of a "you're buying a new pc game here" rather than "you're buying HL2 pal, so you better pay a lot". Perhaps they have to pay a lot of cash for the 98% and 111,5 % scores lol. And now they may (damn, I speculated again. Erm can we pass this as observation? Thanks) be trying to control their SP fanbase too? Nah. IF they plan to do this, enough is enough for me at least. Like i've been saying lately to ultimate, there seems to be one rule for the Id's and Valve's and a different one for the rest. Too much forgiveness, lack of memory, no black lists, no punishment, just fanboyism. Then again......

[ArnieVoice]
i bet that if by HL3, Valve demands from all its users to install their little app wearing a pair of sneakers and their tuxedo, there WILL be people who will argue that "come on guys are we splitting hairs here? We all have a tuxedo and sneakers so wtf is the problem here?"
[/ArnieVoice][/quote]
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP
Old 10-21-04, 04:44 AM   #50
Knot3D

I agree with Nazca. My internet pc is way too crappy to play HL2 on. My 3D modeling pc is the only one up to it and FOR SAFETY reasons it's offline in a very different room. I'm not gonna rewire cable all the way to that room and wifi's out of the question too, certainly for one single player game.

I just wanna go buy the single player HL2 game in a store, go back home and install the game from the dvd disc and play it on that offline pc.
Old 10-21-04, 07:11 AM   #51
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

Send a message via AIM to karkrash81

most everything in this thread is speculation, regardless of what "side" your on...I think both sides have valid issues, some people just need to calm down and enjoy some friendly discussion...

1. First of all, "to curtail piracy" is a poor justification for this type of authentication system, because it will be just as easily cracked regardless of the authentication procedure... there's no way to copy proof a game...

2. also, look at the unreal community...they've managed to effectively deliver content and updates without a steam-like network.

3. Valve has not been clear on the details of the system so speculation is to be expected...Valve should have flat out stated the details of this authentication process and until they do, the consumer should be concerned about any implications that this will have...

4. while this sort of validation is true in parts of the software industry, it is not the case for single player pc games or most non-MMORPG online games...so to compare this to other software is somewhat pointless...the gaming industry has not operated like this ever before...the audience for a game is much broader than specilized software... what about the average joe shmoe that can barely type but likes to play games? hardcore gamers with advanced technical knowledge only make up a part of a broad audience...

Has anyone tried to authorize windows on more than 2 or 3 computers for legitimate reasons (new computer, reformat, etc...)? You have to call microsoft, which can be a hassle...there are people that have had bad experiences with online authentication, so any concerns are real and should be considered...

Now, i think it might be a good idea that you have to authenticate the game the first time and they send you a unique code for your game that you can then enter manually every time you reinstall without having to go online, kind of like AutoCAD or 3DS Max...That would be a much better system in my opinion....
My System: Athlon 64 x2 3800+ overclocked to 4600+/2 GB Geil PC3200/8800 GTS 320 mb/Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard/Logitech z-680's/Total of 760 GB of Hard Drive Space (2x300 + 1x160)/audigy 2/Two 20.1" Widescreen LCD's (Dell 2005fpw)
Favorite movie: Snatch/Favorite Game: NOLF/Song of the Week: "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse/
What I'm Playing this Week: Nothing!

Last edited by karkrash81; 10-21-04 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-21-04, 07:22 AM   #52
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidX
Observation huh? Ok let me ensure your faith in mankind again and tend to your ego and tell you that your right in your "observation" and everyone else is wrong in there speculation.
Jesus Christ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DICTIONARY
spec·u·la·tion Pronunciation Key (spky-lshn)
n.

1. Contemplation or consideration of a subject; meditation.
LOOK HERE ->2. A conclusion, opinion, or theory reached by conjecture.
3. Reasoning based on inconclusive evidence; conjecture or supposition. <- TOO FAR, YOU MISSED IT!! BACK UP!!

1. Engagement in risky business transactions on the chance of quick or considerable profit.
2. A commercial or financial transaction involving speculation.
This thread is based entirely on speculative comments. In fact, on a speculative thread on the Steampowered forums with no official comment. Not that I don't appreciate jAKup providing us with all the information he can, but guys, you're making a big deal out of nothing. Mezkal has made some pretty good points too, especially about how businesses treat their customers. The fact that any of you are even taking offense at what I'm saying boggles the mind. So I'll present my argument, once again, real nice and friendly like so you won't cry:

Not a single person in the world, aside from Valve software, knows if there is a "software activation" procedure for Half-Life 2. It is extraordinarily likely that there is no software activation, aside from Steam users having to download a key to decrypt their copies. Valve has made no statements suggesting anything to the contrary. They've put up with untold amounts of BS from their "fans" and now, once their game is finally done, you all accuse them of one of the stupidest things conceivable (trying to protect their 6-years worth of work), and what's more, have absolutely no evidence to base your accusations on. It's RETARDED.

Make all the personal attacks you want, but none of you have any valid reason to be complaining about anything.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 10-21-04, 07:33 AM   #53
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

ninjaman09...while i understand that you like to post abrasively, you had to have anticipated that abrasive posts are going to get more abrasive responses and the entire thread could collapse into nothing but abrasive posts...i personally think your points would be more accepted if they weren't as abrasive...

while I agree that some people are complaing, many have valid points that are just as much "observations" as are your "observations"...i and some others with similar postings have never slammed valve or the game but have merely expressed concerns...

though, ninjaman09, your avatar seems perfectly appropriate...
My System: Athlon 64 x2 3800+ overclocked to 4600+/2 GB Geil PC3200/8800 GTS 320 mb/Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard/Logitech z-680's/Total of 760 GB of Hard Drive Space (2x300 + 1x160)/audigy 2/Two 20.1" Widescreen LCD's (Dell 2005fpw)
Favorite movie: Snatch/Favorite Game: NOLF/Song of the Week: "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse/
Old 10-21-04, 08:37 AM   #54
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Heh, that's why I picked it.

Please understand, it's just how I talk. No one should take it personally.

As for my observations vs. the observations others are making, I am pointing out a fact. It is a fact that this thread is speculative in nature. Others are "observing" imagined downfalls to the way Valve intends to distribute Half-Life 2. It really irks me to see people do this, because it's the same kind of mentality that drives people to put a "$" in the spelling of "Microsoft". It's one thing to say "wouldn't it suck if Valve made people connect to the Internet every HL2 installation?". It's another thing to say "Valve is going to make people connect to the Internet every time we install HL2." Why? Because with the second statement, you are making an uninformed accusation which has no base in fact. The thread spiralled out of control shortly afterwards, with people outright insulting Valve. What's next, a mob of angry villagers with torches? Come on. I was trying to put everyone back in perspective. It's kind of hard to do that without coming off as egotistical, but let me tell you this - I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong. If you can prove me wrong, I'll apologize. I've done so quite a few times, even on this message board. However, if you read through my posts, ignore the substance, and concentrate on the stuff that doesn't matter, it makes it even worse. I hate to say it, but nothing I did contributed to this thread's crappiness. It was a crap thread after a few posts, and basically I want people to think for themselves for a change and quit buying into this "evil corporations are out to screw consumers and make lots of money!" mentality.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 10-21-04, 08:51 AM   #55
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

point taken, but not everyone in this thread is insulting valve (like me, for example)... speculation is perfectly normal when presented in a thought-out fashion...lots of the posts in the entire nvnews forums are speculative in nature...the political forums are a prime example...

I understand that you feel that valve has not done anything to warrant this speculation, but i would counter, saying that valve has not done anything to not warrant this speculation....

IF valve does indeed implement an online authentication, then this will be a major change in the gaming industry because of valve's position...

Also, if there was no substance in these "rumors" about the authentication, then why hasn't valve squashed them? it would be a very simple thing for the company to do...
Old 10-21-04, 09:05 AM   #56
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

The burden of proof lies on the accuser, not the accused. Innocent until proven guilty.

Valve has most likely not responded because they are aware that the majority of their fan base is keeping their mouths shut and patiently awaiting Half-Life 2. It isn't their job to run around appeasing every moron who gets an idea in his head. Keep in mind they are a business as well as a game developer, and are probably very busy as a result, and do not have time to respond to absurd, baseless accusations (which are made on a sickeningly frequent basis). People seem to forget that people who work at Valve are supporting themselves and their families on the income they generate from their company, and have greater concerns than whiny, pre-adolescent fans with stupid conspiracy theories.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410

Old 10-21-04, 09:17 AM   #57
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
I want people to think for themselves for a change and quit buying into this "evil corporations are out to screw consumers and make lots of money!" mentality.
You're voting for Ralph Nader aren't you?
Old 10-21-04, 09:20 AM   #58
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

not if you buy it retail in stores. all you gotta do is to register the key.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
Old 10-21-04, 09:32 AM   #59
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Heh heh. I would if it wasn't a waste of my vote.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 10-21-04, 09:37 AM   #60
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
The burden of proof lies on the accuser, not the accused. Innocent until proven guilty.

Valve has most likely not responded because they are aware that the majority of their fan base is keeping their mouths shut and patiently awaiting Half-Life 2. It isn't their job to run around appeasing every moron who gets an idea in his head. Keep in mind they are a business as well as a game developer, and are probably very busy as a result, and do not have time to respond to absurd, baseless accusations (which are made on a sickeningly frequent basis). People seem to forget that people who work at Valve are supporting themselves and their families on the income they generate from their company, and have greater concerns than whiny, pre-adolescent fans with stupid conspiracy theories.
I found your comments as a whole "amazingly absurd.", look that up in your ninja dictionary. So according to you we are not suppose to criticize any of these games are devs because they have families to feed, children to send to school and way too busy to acknowledge their fan base which buys their product which supports there family and them etc. Just an "oberservation". Also no one is accusing Valve of anything but merely giving their views on if that authentication process came to be. How do you know the consumer wont have to go through this process? The answer is? You dont, just like we dont know if we will have to go through authenticatio process. So everything you also say is speculation. Look it up.
Closed Thread