Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-25-04, 02:05 AM   #25
WarheadMM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 170
Default Re: why do fx cards perform so badly in 3dmark05

yes PS 2_0A works better on FX cards but there is no games out that uses it. Farcry 1.3 will let you use it tho
__________________
A7N8X Deluxe REV 1.04
AMD 2500+
Asylum 5900 (480/980)
1 GB PC 3200
Windows XP Pro SP1
WarheadMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 02:06 AM   #26
zakelwe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 768
Default Re: why do fx cards perform so badly in 3dmark05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
Eh? Not even sure what your saying. Yes its both pixel shaded and vertex limited. But vertex performance plays a substancial Roll in overall performance as well.

Surely Pixel performance is important in 3dmark. But so its Vertex performance.
OK then, let me put it this way, looking at your figures and aassuming you had a 6800 non ultra and Unwinders rivatuner would you rather have an extra VP or an extra 4 pipelines ?

Increase from 12 to 16 pipelines = > 400
Increase from 5 to 6vp => 100

The word limited is, to be honest, also incorrect as it implies it is stopping the score going up. This is not the case, even with 4VP at 16 pipelines you get 600 points more than 6vp at 8 pipelines .

It would be more accurate to say that 3dmark05 is both pixel and vertex dependent but with pipeline quads being more important.

Regards

Andy
zakelwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 02:14 AM   #27
ChrisRay
Registered User
 
ChrisRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 5,101
Default Re: why do fx cards perform so badly in 3dmark05

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakelwe
OK then, let me put it this way, looking at your figures and aassuming you had a 6800 non ultra and Unwinders rivatuner would you rather have an extra VP or an extra 4 pipelines ?

Increase from 12 to 16 pipelines = > 400
Increase from 5 to 6vp => 100

The word limited is, to be honest, also incorrect as it implies it is stopping the score going up. This is not the case, even with 4VP at 16 pipelines you get 600 points more than 6vp at 8 pipelines .

It would be more accurate to say that 3dmark05 is both pixel and vertex dependent but with pipeline quads being more important.

Regards

Andy
Oh jeez, you're getting bent out of shape over a techicality? The whole point of the chart was to show that 3dmark is sensitive to vertex performance and its not entirely a pixel shaded limited demo, In which case, This hasnt changed a bit,

of course 4 pixel pipelines is going to have a dramatic increase on effect, you gain 4 shader dedicatedt shader units +4 shared shader units with 1 quad activation, You only lose 1 vertex unit by disabling vertex performance.

And no this is not a 6800NU, If you look at the chart it clearly labels it a GT.
__________________
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 02:24 AM   #28
zakelwe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 768
Default Re: why do fx cards perform so badly in 3dmark05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
Oh jeez, you're getting bent out of shape over a techicality? The whole point of the chart was to show that 3dmark is sensitive to vertex performance and its not entirely a pixel shaded limited demo, In which case, This hasnt changed a bit,

of course 4 pixel pipelines is going to have a dramatic increase on effect, you gain 4 shader dedicatedt shader units +4 shared shader units with 1 quad activation, You only lose 1 vertex unit by disabling vertex performance.

And no this is not a 6800NU, If you look at the chart it clearly labels it a GT.
A technicality ? I didn't comment on the cart but your wording.

To quote you

"But geometry plays a huge role "

this is an exageration.

" But its just as much vertex limited as it is pixel limited."

no it isn't.

I didn't say anything about your chart being a 6800nu, I said assuming you had a 6800nu because that is the card most people will be trying to increase the pipes and vertex units on.

I keep seeing these comments about 3dmark05 being vertex limited and they seem to be coming from B3d it seems. If you look at the top scores for the 6800nu though you will see that a prereqisit is that the card is a 16 pipeline card. I have to say that if someone gave me a 24 pipeline card with only 6 vertex shaders I would not be too unhappy

Regards

Andy
zakelwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 02:34 AM   #29
ChrisRay
Registered User
 
ChrisRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 5,101
Default Re: why do fx cards perform so badly in 3dmark05

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakelwe
A technicality ? I didn't comment on the cart but your wording.

To quote you

"But geometry plays a huge role "

this is an exageration.

" But its just as much vertex limited as it is pixel limited."

no it isn't.

I didn't say anything about your chart being a 6800nu, I said assuming you had a 6800nu because that is the card most people will be trying to increase the pipes and vertex units on.

I keep seeing these comments about 3dmark05 being vertex limited and they seem to be coming from B3d it seems. If you look at the top scores for the 6800nu though you will see that a prereqisit is that the card is a 16 pipeline card. I have to say that if someone gave me a 24 pipeline card with only 6 vertex shaders I would not be too unhappy

Regards

Andy

Geometry does play a large role. Did you actually "look" at the chart? Comparing 2 vertex units to one quad, There is a substancial loss in performance. Sure one quad has a larger impact than 1 vertex unit, But 1 quad implements 4 dedicated shader units and 4 shared units, 1 vertex unit is exactly 1 vertex unit.,

In Some cases the vertex performance lost by 2 units is > than the loss of 1 quad, Therefore it shows 3dmark is also quite dependent upon geometry, Some tests, paticularly test 2 are unrealistically dependent upon it.

The reason that people are saying its geometry dependent too because it is. And it helps describe some disparity people are seeing with 3dmark in regards to pixel pipeline/vertex performance between ATI and Nvidia, Where the actual vertex performance is playing a large role.

I'm glad you like your quads, But it no way makes vertex performance any less important,.

And no, You said you assumed I was using a 6800NU, if you read the graph it clearly says I was using a GT with clock speeds illustrated.


Edit:

To reiterate, 1 quad "Should" have a larger impact on performance than 2/1 vertex units, Because it has 8 shader units per quad, But the fact is 2 vertex units are causing disparity between 1 quad, shows that the test relies on vertex data quite a bit.
__________________
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 02:45 AM   #30
zakelwe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 768
Default Re: why do fx cards perform so badly in 3dmark05

"OK then, let me put it this way, looking at your figures and aassuming you had a 6800 non ultra and Unwinders rivatuner would you rather have an extra VP or an extra 4 pipelines"

I was talking about people having a 6800nu and uprating otherwise I would have said

"OK then, let me put it this way, looking at your figures would you rather have an extra VP or an extra 4 pipelines"

sorry if that was not clear.

The fact is that for both modded X800's and nvidia 6800nu's getting a big gain when going to 16 pipelines means to me that the pieplines are what is important to have and the vertex is a secondary benefit, as you say because you get 4 pipelines at a go.

We'll have to disagree on this oen I guess.

Regards

Andy
zakelwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 02:49 AM   #31
ChrisRay
Registered User
 
ChrisRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 5,101
Default Re: why do fx cards perform so badly in 3dmark05

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakelwe
"OK then, let me put it this way, looking at your figures and aassuming you had a 6800 non ultra and Unwinders rivatuner would you rather have an extra VP or an extra 4 pipelines"

I was talking about people having a 6800nu and uprating otherwise I would have said

"OK then, let me put it this way, looking at your figures would you rather have an extra VP or an extra 4 pipelines"

sorry if that was not clear.

The fact is that for both modded X800's and nvidia 6800nu's getting a big gain when going to 16 pipelines means to me that the pieplines are what is important to have and the vertex is a secondary benefit, as you say because you get 4 pipelines at a go.

We'll have to disagree on this oen I guess.

Regards

Andy
And what are we disagreeing on? once again 1 quad "Should" reflect a larger gain over 2 vertex units, The entire purpose of this test was to show how vertex performance can effect the overall score, And when compared to a pixel pipeline. it's much more dramatic, If you could disable quads, 1 pipe at a time. You could disable shader units 2 at a time. Which would be reflective of how each Pixel shader unit reflects overall performance compared to each vertex unit.

The purpose of the test is to show they scale. Nothing more. Nothing less. In this case, 8 pixel shader units (on 1 quad) Can lead to less performance increases (for example Game test 2) than 2 vertex units.

The fact that pixel pipelines provided a higher boost was never disputed, It was merely a means to an end of showing how much 3dmark05 also emphasizes on vertex performance.
__________________
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 02:54 AM   #32
zakelwe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 768
Default Re: why do fx cards perform so badly in 3dmark05

Disagreement on your wording "huge" and the word " limited "

I prefer "some" and " dependent ". Only two words but I think that it better reflects real life behaviour of this benchmark.

Regards

Andy
zakelwe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-04, 02:59 AM   #33
ChrisRay
Registered User
 
ChrisRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 5,101
Default Re: why do fx cards perform so badly in 3dmark05

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakelwe
Disagreement on your wording "huge" and the word " limited "

I prefer "some" and " dependent ". Only two words but I think that it better reflects real life behaviour of this benchmark.

Regards

Andy

a technicality, it doesnt change the purpose of this test or the data it represents, And it shows that you completely mis understood the nature of the test. The fact that 2 vertex units can offer a similar loss to 8 pixel shader units, Show a rather large emphasis on vertex performance.

Obviously the Pixel and vertex units are not designed the same at or with the same function in mind. But when you see how close disabling 1 quad to 2 vertex units is, It shows to me that 3dmark05 is unreasonably vertex dependent.
__________________
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members

Last edited by ChrisRay; 10-25-04 at 03:17 AM.
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 09:24 AM   #34
kahloq
Registered User
 
kahloq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: why do fx cards perform so badly in 3dmark05

To answer the topic starters post. The 9800 pro is a good card. So are the 5900/5950. 9800 beats 5900/5950 in D3D, but fx series wins in opengl However these cards are still priced out rather high after the new gens came out and are still priced to high. If you can wait, get a 6600GT AGP. OR, wait for the 6700 series. There is also the possibilty of getting a 6200 and soft modding it to a 6600. There was an article on the front page.
http://translate.google.com/translat...hp%3Fid%3D1225
__________________
SPECS:
Alienware
3.4 p4 /200FSB NO overclock
OCZ pc3500 performance 2 gig memory
OCZ 520 watt PSU
Asus p4c800deluxe-e motherboard
2 x 80g Sata HD's / 1 x 60g IDE / 1 x 40 g IDE
1 x DVD / 1 x lite on cdrw
7 case fans plus vantec dual fan pci card
BFG 6800 Ultra OC 456/1.28 Stock air
3.2P4(no OC)3dmark03 score :13570
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3195131
3.2 p4 @3.472 217FSB 6800u@ 425/1.28 3Dmark03: 13738
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3195221
WIFES PC: 3.2P4/BFG 6800GT/1 gig pc 3200
kahloq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 01:23 PM   #35
Fahim
R420, NV40
 
Fahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In Front Of My PC
Posts: 164
Default Re: why do fx cards perform so badly in 3dmark05

Sounds like a silent war is going in this thread........

Should I post my scores? My XT PE score & the X800 PRO score @ 12 pipe and 16 pipe??
__________________
AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ | ASUS CROSSHAIR | 2 x 1GB Corsair XMS PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz | ATI RADEON HD 3870 512MB (800,2340) | PNY GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB (513,1584) | ATI RADEON HD 2900XT 512MB | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB (500,1584)
Fahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-04, 12:14 AM   #36
zakelwe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 768
Default Re: why do fx cards perform so badly in 3dmark05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
a technicality, it doesnt change the purpose of this test or the data it represents, And it shows that you completely mis understood the nature of the test. The fact that 2 vertex units can offer a similar loss to 8 pixel shader units, Show a rather large emphasis on vertex performance.

.
From your table

2 vertex shaders offer a loss of 300 to 500 points
8 pixel shaders offer a loss of 900 to 1400 points

So your conclusion of "The fact that 2 vertex units can offer a similar loss to 8 pixel shader units" does not match your own table. Your table shows 2x -3x greater loss when losing 8 pixel pipelines than 2 vertex units.

Like I said at the very beginiing, better to gain 4 pixel pipelines when modding a 6800 than the 1 vertex unit for 3dmark05.

Regards

Andy
zakelwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 Video Cards -- Disable Open GL on single? amites NVIDIA Linux 5 05-30-12 03:51 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.