Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-23-04, 12:54 PM   #1
Nocturnaloner

Default Ok, so I just played Halo for the first time...

Long story short, I've been out of gaming for a while, but I just built a new gaming rig (P4 3.2, 6800gt), and I'm catching up on some things. Played Far Cry all the way through, it came with my eVGA card, loved it. Single player FPS are what really float my boat, and yes, it took this long for me to actually play Halo in any form. I downloaded the demo... and I was less than impressed. The combat seems somewhat tedious to me, distribution of ammo is extremely stingy for what it takes to kill those big armored guys, and the sound effects in no way convey any sense of power or danger. More than once I was killed by a grenade that I could barely hear. Also, the enemies, aside from the grunts, lack any personality. The squad AI seems really bad, or at least scripted to the point where all they will do is ride the buggy and shoot its guns. Why the heck can't they follow me up a hill?? I'm talking about the Silent Cartographer map, because that's all I've seen. Will all of Halo seem like this to me, or are there much better missions waiting in the full version?
Nocturnaloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-04, 12:58 PM   #2
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default Re: Ok, so I just played Halo for the first time...

For one thing, each enemy type you fight requires a certain strategy to kill. The big armored guys (Hunters) have a weak spot on their back where their skin is exposed, you're supposed to go for that when fighting them. Friendly troops aren't always supposed to follow you, either. I'd play the whole game and understand how the combat works, because it's a lot more tactical and different from most FPSes.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-04, 01:20 PM   #3
nVidi0t
Quad Damage

Send a message via ICQ to nVidi0t

Actually, the Silent Cartographer is one of the better levels. It was a great game on Xbox, though I agree it should have stayed there.
System: Intel Core 2 e6600 @ 3.6ghz (450*8) @ 1.475v | Koolance Exos 2 Water Cooler | 4096Mb Mushkin ASCENT 8500 @ 2.1v @ 1160Mhz| Asus P5k Deluxe P35 'bearlake' 804bios | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 850W| BFG 8800GT OC2 675Mhz | 150GB WD Raptor X | Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA | Lian Li V2000 PC2 Case | Pioneer DL Burner | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI FATAL1TY FPS | Dell 2707WFP 27" LCD | Windows Vista Ultimate | Sennheiser HD-590 Prestige/Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones w/ Emmeline Hornet Amp | Razer Deathadder | Razer tarantula Keyboard |
nVidi0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-04, 01:38 PM   #4
Nocturnaloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVidi0t
Actually, the Silent Cartographer is one of the better levels.
Really? Ouch. Maybe I'll steer clear then. It's strange though, Halo's regarded as a classic of the genre. Guess I should have played it before newer stuff like Far Cry and Call of Duty.
Nocturnaloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-04, 02:00 PM   #5
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVidi0t
Actually, the Silent Cartographer is one of the better levels. It was a great game on Xbox, though I agree it should have stayed there.
Exactly, it should have stayed on the Xbox. This game launched with that console in 2001......and we are on the verge of 2005.
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-04, 02:22 PM   #6
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnaloner
Really? Ouch. Maybe I'll steer clear then. It's strange though, Halo's regarded as a classic of the genre. Guess I should have played it before newer stuff like Far Cry and Call of Duty.
Eh, you really haven't played the game enough to understand how it is different from Far Cry and Call of Duty. While I'll agree that the Silent Cartographer is one of the better levels, if you don't know how to play it, it would really suck. It's about half-way through the game in the full version, by which time you would have had enough experience to know how to approach the level.

The game was a zillion times more fun on the X-Box, though. The PC port is unanimously declared one of the worst ports in history. It's still pretty fun on the PC, but it was a lot more polished on the X-Box. Plus it came out in 2001, you really can't compare it to Far Cry and Call of Duty.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-04, 02:23 PM   #7
aAv7

I was happy they ported it over to PC for a few reasons.

1.) Higher resolution and AF (aa is bork on it darnit)
2.) Multiplayer- Xbox has a rigged version of multiplayer for Halo, but it's laggy as heck. So I was happy to get a full version of MP for the PC version.
3.) Keyboard and mouse

The game is nowhere near as good as it's hyped to be. Even the xbox version-which I played way before the PC version-it's a run of the mill fps. But I thought it was fun for what it was. You have to make sure you play on legendary mode or else the a.i is just really weak and the game isn't much of a challenge.

I mean-compared to a game like Doom 3, Halo is filled with action and much more story. But it's not a "must play" title. It's worth going through if you plan on getting the sequel...that's about it at this point.
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
aAv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-04, 10:00 PM   #8
***CENSORED***
Enter the Homertrix!

Halo=Most overrated game ever.

That doesn't mean it's bad, just that it isn't the best out there like all the console fanatics say it is.

SilverStone TJ06 / AMD Athlon 64 3500+ / Abit Fatal1ty AN8 SLI / 1.5 GB Mushkin PC3200 / Leadtek Geforce 6600 GT 128 MB / Maxtor 250 GB with 16 MB cache SATA / Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS / Sony 16x DVD-RW / Ultra-X Finity 600 watt PSU / ViewSonic 19" monitor / Windows XP Pro / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 / still the same crappy Compaq Keyboard and Microsoft mouse

People think I've stopped lying...but I've just gotten better at it!
***CENSORED*** is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-04, 10:21 PM   #9
PikachuMan

Quote:
The game was a zillion times more fun on the X-Box, though. The PC port is unanimously declared one of the worst ports in history.
Not really, there isn't anything wrong with it other than it demands a big graphics card, his 6800GT shouldn't have trouble even at 1600x1200. The sound is extremely well done also.
The Halo "Custom Edition" addition the released really improves the netcode, now easily better than UT2003, at least for my connection. Performance has been sped up considerable as well.

The demo mission they chose was...meh..It doesn't convey the whole cinematic feel the rest of the game has, that's one of the game's biggest selling points.
I have a great time playing Halo on the PC, even though I had the same "gah....this is weak" feeling from the demo.
PikachuMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-04, 10:26 PM   #10
BlackSun

I can't wait for the PC port of Halo 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW
COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 Evolution
Danger Den Watercooling -Best they have!!!
CORSAIR Dominator 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1142 w/fans
Creative XFI
Dual Western Digital Raptor X's HD's-Raid 0
2 Western Digital 500G
Pioneer A08 DVD+RW
Klipsch Promedia Ultras
Dell 3008WFP-HC
BlackSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-04, 10:32 PM   #11
mezkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate17
2.) Multiplayer- Xbox has a rigged version of multiplayer for Halo, but it's laggy as heck. So I was happy to get a full version of MP for the PC version.
It's obvious that you've never played HALO : XBOX over LAN, XBconnect or DIALUP! I used to play via XBconnect (freeware alternative to XBOXLive) via Dialup (56K) with 4 players, it was smoo-oooth.

Look, I know you've had issue with me but generally I have had none with you. This time I do. You're wrong. Halo PC had possibly the WORST netcode out of ANY game released in the last 5 years. Considering how many crappy PC FPS game there are THAT is saying something.

Gearbox even said thierselves that many XBOX hardcore players might have some issue with the PC version's netcode.
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."
mezkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-04, 10:42 PM   #12
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

I just played the demo, and found that you can drive the 'warthog' though 95% of the demo, so i did, i didnt have any problems killing those big blue things because i would just jump on the warthogs gun and power em down.

At the end of the level that big boss guy with the blade i took out with 2 rockets he didnt even touch me.

After evalutateing it i belive a better title is
Halo: Gameplay Circa Quake II