Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-23-04, 11:48 PM   #13
***CENSORED***
Enter the Homertrix!

Default Re: Ok, so I just played Halo for the first time...

Halo is one of the easier games I've played...

SilverStone TJ06 / AMD Athlon 64 3500+ / Abit Fatal1ty AN8 SLI / 1.5 GB Mushkin PC3200 / Leadtek Geforce 6600 GT 128 MB / Maxtor 250 GB with 16 MB cache SATA / Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS / Sony 16x DVD-RW / Ultra-X Finity 600 watt PSU / ViewSonic 19" monitor / Windows XP Pro / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 / still the same crappy Compaq Keyboard and Microsoft mouse

People think I've stopped lying...but I've just gotten better at it!
***CENSORED*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-04, 05:29 AM   #14
JayrodTremonki

I agree that it's one of the most overrated, but not bad, games of all time. This isn't from lack of playing it. I've played in almost every environment(except online) and I can say that the game lacks something. The multiplayer is basically Army Men 3-D(without the cool melting soldiers). The single-player isn't a great experience either. It's pretty cut and dry fps material. They blew a lot of chances to make a cool story and there were only a select few areas that had any atmosphere to them.

The parts of the game where I actually had fun had nothing to do with the game. Playing on the multiplayer map with the huge gap between the 2-dimensional sides floating in space, and trying to jump acrossed by blowing yourself up with a grenade. Going to the level where you could steal the flying ship and playing tag with a rocket launcher and your buddy in the ship.

And those things wear out after a few hours =\
JayrodTremonki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-04, 06:15 AM   #15
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

Its good on xbox and it should have stayed there.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-04, 06:35 AM   #16
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Halo is a game where you have to adapt your style of play to any given situation. And often times that can change more than once within the same level. The type of enemy, quantity and your location (indoors, outdoors) will make a big difference in how you accomplish your objectives. A lot of players (myself included at first) don't realize this and it becomes awfully easy for them to criticize. I personally am not going to touch Halo on the PC again because it feels like a cheap console port. Xbox is the ticket to Halo fun.

And I'm going to say this one more time: there will be no PC port of Halo 2.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-04, 10:52 AM   #17
Riptide

I liked the game. It was my first experience with vehicles and I thought it was a blast. The graphics weren't bad, just not cutting edge. I'm glad it made it over to the PC because I had a lot of fun playing it. And after reading the books I appreciated the game that much more. I loved how you could throw plasma grenades, have it stick to the back of an elite, and watch him run around arms flailing trying to grab it until it blew him 30 feet or so through the air.

I agree about the netcode though. When it worked it was alright some of the time, laggy at others. And there are times when it just refuses to connect at all for me which can be very frustrating. I've put the game down since but I had a very enjoyable time with it.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-04, 11:32 AM   #18
|MaguS|

Halo is ok but seriously nothing new... As for changing your play style depending on the enemy? Pfft, not even... I just ran and gun half the time and toss nades to stop them from pushing on you too much. The big guys are easy as heck, all you do is just hold down the fire with the AR and back away... Theres usually more then plenty of ammo laying around from a dead soldier near by...

The only thing I really like about the game is the Coop. It changes the experiance alot because when being chased by an enemy your friend can cover you... and its also fun to pistol whip your friend when hes not looking.

Vehicles are fun for the most part but controls really suck ass on them...
Old 10-24-04, 11:46 AM   #19
Vash
Angel Arms

You obviously haven't tried Legendary. You can run and gun it in the other difficulties, but in Legendary it's adapt or die. If you want a challenge, then fire it up again and give that a shot. And even though it makes the game harder than just upping the damage enemies dish out, I really appreciate the fact that the AI actually gets more intelligent the higher the difficulty setting.

As for the Hunters... yes you can empty 2 or 3 AR clips into their faces to do the job, or you can pop them with 1 pistol round in their weak spot (weak spot = small of the back, neck, underneath their shield arm). Your choice.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-04, 01:02 PM   #20
intercede007
American

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via MSN to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
Halo is ok but seriously nothing new... As for changing your play style depending on the enemy? Pfft, not even... I just ran and gun half the time and toss nades to stop them from pushing on you too much. The big guys are easy as heck, all you do is just hold down the fire with the AR and back away... Theres usually more then plenty of ammo laying around from a dead soldier near by...
You must be playing on "Easy", because above that, you end up using your grenades very sparingly. And once you meet The Flood, you have to kill for your ammo, because the once dead soldiers that were laying lifelessly with it are now alive and shooting at you.
intercede007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-04, 01:29 PM   #21
|MaguS|

I never play any game on "Easy", The Flood turned me so off from the game... It became stupid then...Not difficult, just stupid.
Old 10-24-04, 01:35 PM   #22
mezkal

errr OK.

That sounds like rhetoric too me sonny.

The are THE FLOOD. Therefore they are all consuming, like...a....Flood. If you dropped your controller there then what can one say? You obviously know best.

Me? I played the game right through all the way up to Legendary. There are many hidden bonuses (such as cutscenes, dialogue, end of credits animations) that you will never see. But as you say, it was stupid (not difficult).

Yeah. Right.
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."
mezkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-04, 04:26 PM   #23
aAv7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezkal
It's obvious that you've never played HALO : XBOX over LAN, XBconnect or DIALUP! I used to play via XBconnect (freeware alternative to XBOXLive) via Dialup (56K) with 4 players, it was smoo-oooth.

Look, I know you've had issue with me but generally I have had none with you. This time I do. You're wrong. Halo PC had possibly the WORST netcode out of ANY game released in the last 5 years. Considering how many crappy PC FPS game there are THAT is saying something.

Gearbox even said thierselves that many XBOX hardcore players might have some issue with the PC version's netcode.
I did try it on xboxconnect and it was really laggy-maybe it was the host's fault.

Halo PC online was pretty buggy-you're right, but the CE edition they released seems to have fixed some of those problems, had nothing but smooth game play with CE....just seems it was too little too late.

Worst netcode in the last 5 years has to go to Far Cry....

I haven't had issue on your opinions Mezkal, just how you speak to people sometimes. You're free to say what you want to who you want about anything you want, I just get irritated when the flames start, but it isn't really my place to say anything, I'm judging you and I shouldn't-because no one is better than anyone else, were all the same, so please accept my apology.
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
aAv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-04, 07:11 PM   #24
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVidi0t
Actually, the Silent Cartographer is one of the better levels. It was a great game on Xbox, though I agree it should have stayed there.

thats my take on it as well...

this game, with co-op was PERFECT for the xbox... and even now after all this time it is one of the better games to have come out on the xbox...

can't wait for halo 2
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote