Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-10-04, 01:06 AM   #157
|MaguS|

Default Re: Everquest 2 ships on November 8th!

My favorite feature is how the floor gets wet when it rains...
Old 11-10-04, 01:38 AM   #158
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

Good thing about the grass displacement is that you get about a 10fps boost with it off

System II: C2D E8400 || Gigabyte GA-EP35 || 2GB Gskill DDR2 1066 || XFX GTX 260 Black Edition || Audigy 2 || Corsair TX650 || Klipsch PM 2.1 || Gateway 2185W LCD

Consoles: 360/PS3
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-04, 02:03 AM   #159
Phillychuck

I stopped playing EQ for a month or so in anticipation of either WoW or EQ2. I got the WoW beta last night and bought EQ2 today, I hope I'm happy with EQ2 for awhile since my new finance situation can't support another $50 this month .

I'm not too keen on the anti-KS code, you have to stand there and watch fellow players just die if they can't handle a mob instead of being able to assist in some way (toss a heal, or nuke..). I hope they change this to a can't help until mob is say less then 30%. It also eliminates power leveling with characters outside the group but heck, after 1 account of all 51-67 characters and another account with a 62 and 65 pretty much all leveled by me.. I don't need to PL anymore.

The tutorial is sweet, however when I rerolled another char to try a mage I was forced to do that island again, its nice the first time thru...

I wish I had some RL friends or steady ingame people to play with, my EQ buddies dropped off the face of EQ about 3 months before EQ2, everyone was fed up with it.
Phillychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-04, 02:15 AM   #160
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillychuck
I stopped playing EQ for a month or so in anticipation of either WoW or EQ2. I got the WoW beta last night and bought EQ2 today, I hope I'm happy with EQ2 for awhile since my new finance situation can't support another $50 this month .

I'm not too keen on the anti-KS code, you have to stand there and watch fellow players just die if they can't handle a mob instead of being able to assist in some way (toss a heal, or nuke..). I hope they change this to a can't help until mob is say less then 30%. It also eliminates power leveling with characters outside the group but heck, after 1 account of all 51-67 characters and another account with a 62 and 65 pretty much all leveled by me.. I don't need to PL anymore.

The tutorial is sweet, however when I rerolled another char to try a mage I was forced to do that island again, its nice the first time thru...

I wish I had some RL friends or steady ingame people to play with, my EQ buddies dropped off the face of EQ about 3 months before EQ2, everyone was fed up with it.

If a player wants help all they gotta do is type /yell or hit the help button, Then the mobs are freed up for anyone to engage. So if they need help they can get it assuming they ask for it.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-04, 08:01 AM   #161
|MaguS|

You can skip the island as soon as you complete the first task given to you (kill the Goblin Invader), Then you can just go to the Amassador and get off...
Old 11-10-04, 12:01 PM   #162
Connaught

When does this game release in Canada?
I went onto the Futureshop site and it said November 25th!!!!
I sure hope that is incorrect...going to swing by Futureshop later today and see if now then I'm screwing my pre-order and checking if EB has it...if it is not there then....its going to be very slow until the 25th....I guess I'll have to beat Halo 2 in all the difficulties and what not....
Connaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-04, 12:30 PM   #163
B3D_Sage

i LOVE this game. i went in and tweaked the settings... try turning down the animation detail sliders and youll get a pretty good FPS increase. And thanks for the tip on FSA!

Does anyone know if the game supports SMP? I'm running 2x 1.26GHz Tualatins and a Leadtek 6800GT. I think it's time to do some seriousl OCing... I know the Tualatins will do 1.6GHz and the 6800GT will do 407 / 1128. I imagine it will go higher too. But, my main concern is the CPU's... if it's not SMP-enabled then I'm really not getting near the speed my system is capable of

edit:
oh yeah, how are those 66.93's? I'm the guy that released them a day before official release but they were on a diff computer in another state and I havn't installed them in my EQ2 rig yet
B3D_Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-04, 12:48 PM   #164
nod

I'm somewhat disappointed with performance so far. I'm running on the "balanced" performance, which I've slightly tweaked... some settings up, but mostly down a notch or two. I'm running 1280x1024 with AA/AF at 4x each at the moment using which I've enabled via the eq2.ini hack I posted above.

It seems though, that no matter what the settings, I get some chugging, frame dropping, and just very mediocre performance with an Alienware 3.0ghz/6800 Ultra rig, and it's kinda distracting. It even chugs a bit if I turn off AA/AF and lower the game to it's "performance" mode. It's not a low fps, it's just poor performance...

Methinks something is going on between the game and Nvidia cards - this happened once in AO, but they sorted it out - same kind of behavior. I'm using the new 66.93 drivers as well.

Any thoughts on this? I know that Sony was recommending the 66.81 beta drivers, but surely the 66.93 are just as good, no?

My comp works great with all other games, all drivers up to date, yadda yadda yadda.
nod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-04, 12:59 PM   #165
Phillychuck

Thanks for the tips, I didn't know you could get off after killing the single gobbie.

Time to kill some orc.
Phillychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-04, 01:02 PM   #166
B3D_Sage

well, I know I was getting HORRIBLE performance at first. Had to turn the settings waaay down to get any playability. Then, I switched to my fresh Windows install and played the game from there... BAM soooooo smoot. I was able to turn things up prety high before it started to chug. And I'm still running default 350/1000 speeds on my GT.

I recommend anyone having unusual performacne problems just make another partition on their harddrive (partition magic works great- if you dnt have it you need it) of about 1GB and make a fresh windows install on it. do all the updates and such, then give it a whirl!
B3D_Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-04, 02:00 PM   #167
Ghosthunter

i am not getting great performance neither..but maybe my machine just not good enough I got a P4 2.8 HT, 1 GB PC3200, BFG 6800 GT

nothing overclock...maybe i should start to overclock..

I dont really know if the slow performance is from lag, video lag, ...i do see my hard drive being accessed a lot so dont know..maybe i will give it a few days and see if anything gets patched..or maybe try different drivers using 66.93
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-04, 02:12 PM   #168
|MaguS|

I get great performance on Very High with some custom settings. One feature to turn off is specular shadows, theres very little graphic increase with it but a big boost in performance, same goes with water, this option does not effect normal rivers rather only ocean waves, like the ones in the tutorial. I have mine set to medium.