Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-28-04, 06:35 AM   #49
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

Default Re: FarCry 1.3 OpenEXR HDR guide, screenshots, and movies

The difference between fp16 and fp32, as far as I know, would be utterly negligable. Least, that's my understanding. This in my understanding will just be the HDR algorithm being a little overzealous with volumetric lighting that wasn't built with HDR in mind.
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 10:01 AM   #50
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Here is the problem that I have with the new patch and HDR. Looking at some comparison pics at HardOCP, the water on inside levels look a whole lot worse, less realistic. I played some MP last night and the brightness flip flopped on me (*cough*John Kerry*cough*). One minute, you could tell that HDR is implimented and everything is super bright. Another minute, everything turns dark and sometimes, things are hard to see. I've tried different HDR Modes (1, 2, 5, and 7) and nothing really changes. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm also having a little pause and jagger every once in a while like HardOCP had. Later.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 02:54 PM   #51
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Ooo HDR...big deal...

This engine will not last much beyond 2004.

Yes it's a cool feature, but it doesn't make FarCry the most advanced engine out...
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 02:59 PM   #52
JayrodTremonki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17
Ooo HDR...big deal...

This engine will not last much beyond 2004.

Yes it's a cool feature, but it doesn't make FarCry the most advanced engine out...
Why do I have the feeling that someone here is having HL2 issues?
JayrodTremonki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 03:42 PM   #53
Apple

Quote:
I actually got a better movie now, samller size, better res, and that compares HDR 'on' (mode 2) and off (mode 0), and a much better place.
Link?
Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 04:01 PM   #54
SlamDunk

Default Re: FarCry 1.3 OpenEXR HDR guide, screenshots, & movies (56k warning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank J
I actually got a better movie now...
Post it, plz! The last one was very good
SlamDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 04:19 PM   #55
Ruined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
Way too much contrast and it totally lacks transparency.
Try switching the rendering mode to "Cold" under video options. The reason its very saturated is because FarCry was oversaturated to begin with, then they added on the HDR feature without adjusting the saturation of the overall game. The "Cold" rendering mode attenuates for this quite a bit, try it out.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 04:43 PM   #56
MrMike

I tried HDR last night. I don't like it one bit. Any graphic option that obscures bad guys with a blinding bloom of white or covers a hallway with the same bloom is not a good option to me. I hated it in full spectrum warrior and I can't stand it in far cry. So when I changed the shortcut to remove the options that enabled it and restarted it all screwed up. Everything was transparent, gun models, walls, floors, ceilings, everything. I could see through the whole map. Very odd. After playing around a bit to try to figure out what was going on it looks as if it set HDR to on in the config file, but the command line switch didn't set it to on. Deleting (system.cfg? can't remember the filename) and resetting everything fixed it.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-04, 04:48 PM   #57
Ruined

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike
I tried HDR last night. I don't like it one bit. Any graphic option that obscures bad guys with a blinding bloom of white or covers a hallway with the same bloom is not a good option to me. I hated it in full spectrum warrior and I can't stand it in far cry. So when I changed the shortcut to remove the options that enabled it and restarted it all screwed up. Everything was transparent, gun models, walls, floors, ceilings, everything. I could see through the whole map. Very odd. After playing around a bit to try to figure out what was going on it looks as if it set HDR to on in the config file, but the command line switch didn't set it to on. Deleting (system.cfg? can't remember the filename) and resetting everything fixed it.
That is one disadvantage to more realistic looking games and HDR. If the sun is bright and in the sky and you turn to face it, it is going to be difficult to see the things around it, they will appear darker than if the sun was not in your eyes. One of the tradeoffs of realistic lighting versus easier gameplay.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Old 10-28-04, 04:59 PM   #58
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Well, the thing is that HDR renders things like your eye would see them. It makes the game harder because in real life if you were looking toward the sun, you WOULD have a hard time seeing other things. If you want the game to be easy in exchange for realism, you could always run it in Fullbright mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined
heads up on some new info:

If you feel the HDR is a bit oversaturated or too bright, on the main menu, go to:
Options/Video Options, and change "Render Mode" to "Cold."
*cough*

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...3&page=5&pp=15
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 05:22 PM   #59
Ruined

new shots:

OpenEXR HDR + Cold Rendering Mode Screenshots

1280x1024
0xAA/8xAF

Old 10-28-04, 05:35 PM   #60
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Well, the thing is that HDR renders things like your eye would see them. It makes the game harder because in real life if you were looking toward the sun, you WOULD have a hard time seeing other things. If you want the game to be easy in exchange for realism, you could always run it in Fullbright mode.
Note, I actually really like HDR, and I do think it brings the game more in line with the light response of the real eye. However, what you say isn't entirely true. The human eye is actually VERY good at attenuating its light response to attention. Supposedly tests have been done in which it's been conclusively shown that our eyes focus on what we want to focus on, even if there's very very bright stuff 'in the frame'. In other words - even if the sun is there in the right hand side of our 'visual frame', if we're focussing on a tree in the middle, it won't take long for our eyes to adapt to the brightness of the tree. Far Cry is certainly closer to what happens, 'cept you actually have to block bright light to get the proper light response. What HDR is more like is what happens with a Video camera with auto-focus and auto-brightness. That's why films *tend* to have uniform lighting in scenes where they don't want radical overexposure.
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote