Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-22-04, 07:19 AM   #85
nVidi0t
Quad Damage

Send a message via ICQ to nVidi0t
Default Re: FarCry 1.3 HDR guide, screenshots, and movies

Okay, I put some more benches up on my site. The article also includes IQ comparisons.

http://www.nvidiot.com/main/article_read.asp?id=16
System: Intel Core 2 e6600 @ 3.6ghz (450*8) @ 1.475v | Koolance Exos 2 Water Cooler | 4096Mb Mushkin ASCENT 8500 @ 2.1v @ 1160Mhz| Asus P5k Deluxe P35 'bearlake' 804bios | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 850W| BFG 8800GT OC2 675Mhz | 150GB WD Raptor X | Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA | Lian Li V2000 PC2 Case | Pioneer DL Burner | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI FATAL1TY FPS | Dell 2707WFP 27" LCD | Windows Vista Ultimate | Sennheiser HD-590 Prestige/Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones w/ Emmeline Hornet Amp | Razer Deathadder | Razer tarantula Keyboard |
nVidi0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-04, 10:34 PM   #86
Xplode

Default Re: FarCry 1.3 HDR guide, screenshots, and movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVidi0t
Okay, I put some more benches up on my site. The article also includes IQ comparisons.

http://www.nvidiot.com/main/article_read.asp?id=16
Nice but I dont think anything under 40 FPS Average is playable..
Xplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 08:26 AM   #87
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Default Re: FarCry 1.3 OpenEXR HDR guide, screenshots, and movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtestube
Dunno about that... depends on the look they go for. I personally think that HDR is an aesthetic choice as much as a technological one... and I can think of a large number of games that HDR would look horrible in. I mean, Doom 3 for a start. That game just would not work properly if it had HDR lighting. Still, I could be wrong. I guess it depends largely on how RTCW2 actually looks.
Well, HDR rendering isn't just the "bloom" effect. It's basically rendering to a higher precision framebuffer, so you can get qualicative improvements just doing that on there. But as long as you design the content to suit HDR rendering, then it will look spectacular. FarCry's content was CLEARLY not made for HDR rendering, that's why it looks a bit "off".

Sadly it has come to my attention that while the licencees of the Doom 3 engine have access to the HDR experimental code that John Carmack wrote, it's still not enough to have working in a game, HDR. So if the people who are making RTCW2 decide to use HDR, they'd need to do a slight bit of coding to get it to work.

I wish JC would have added HDR into Doom 3. However since he seems to be falling behind in the tech race, I'm not expecting much from him anymore.
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote