Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-12-02, 05:16 PM   #1
feeyo

Arrow :: X Desolves into black ::

I have SuSE 8.1 | geforce 2 MX 400 | new Nvidia drivers | SWAP 2.2G | AMD Athlon 900mhz | KDE
3D accelerated is going ok.

Sometimes using some applications or whatever i really dont know how it happens.

My Mouse pointer gets Black! then pressing a application or opening a new window that fux everything op everything gets black!!

By pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL ( for the loguit screen)
The problem is solved.
After a while the same thing hapens..

Can somebody help me with this annoying error please...

......respect.....
feeyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-02, 12:51 PM   #2
bwkaz

I'm pretty sure this isn't the problem, but why on God's green earth would you have 2.2 gigs of swap? I'd move 3/4 of that into another partition, to have another gig and a half of space to play with -- after all, even if you only run 256MB of memory, your swap will hardly be touched a lot of the time. I run 256 mem+384 swap, with no problems at all, and that 384 has been as small as 64MB before.

In any case, are you sure it isn't heat-related? My GF4 recently started to make X flicker a bunch, then go catatonic, after running for about a half hour. I think that my problem is heat-related; perhaps yours is as well?
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-02, 01:17 PM   #3
feeyo

Unhappy

Hi,

I aint sure why i did a Swap of 2.2Gig i took that decission reading the SuSE book, where they tell how more swap the better.

anyhow i have checked it out how much swap my box uses and looking at it made me feel a bit stupid lol.

Now about the problem.
i dont think its the heat, cause my motherboard doent get above the 36. and my processor doesnt get above the 40 degrees.
i have a big standard "ventilator" cooler. those you normally put in a bedroom the big ones.
I took off the leg and opend my comp and put the cooler next in the opening.
Old 11-13-02, 03:19 PM   #4
Ryoko
Rage3d God

sounds like the drivers have been corrupted somehow... can't tell you how to fix it as i'm a windows monkey
Ryoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-02, 04:52 PM   #5
bwkaz

I suppose you could try to reinstall the drivers (the kernel and GLX), but make sure you run md5sum on the files you download before you install them. Check the md5sum against what's posted on the driver download page to make sure they match, and then install.

That will fix it if it's just the files getting corrupted...
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-02, 04:55 PM   #6
feeyo

Lightbulb

Thank you i will try it out.
i'll have you guys updated.