Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-28-04, 11:07 AM   #13
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

Send a message via AIM to karkrash81
Default Re: Something that concerns me about the "internet registration" of HL2...

I doubt this will curb piracy at all or even have an effect on piracy in the long run...
however, i believe that the outcome of this policy could have a major effect (good or bad) on future games...if valve pulls this off successfully this could be a trend that other developers will take...the music industry (or microsoft, depending on your point of view) is following a similar path with DRM and such...

i can see both positives of this trend and negatives...for most users having an internet connection shouldn't be an issue

If i was valve, i would be concerned with the general public and their ability to deal with this procedure... how many times have we heard stories of how people buy the game without reading the sys requirements and then whine that they can't play it? if valve can get the masses to go along with this without a huge problem, then they will have a resounding success...

definately an issue to keep an eye on in the future ...

while this issue of the activation may be a legit concern it will most likely turn into a useless flaming war like it did last time...http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39031
My System: Athlon 64 x2 3800+ overclocked to 4600+/2 GB Geil PC3200/8800 GTS 320 mb/Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard/Logitech z-680's/Total of 760 GB of Hard Drive Space (2x300 + 1x160)/audigy 2/Two 20.1" Widescreen LCD's (Dell 2005fpw)
Favorite movie: Snatch/Favorite Game: NOLF/Song of the Week: "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse/
What I'm Playing this Week: Nothing!
karkrash81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 11:19 AM   #14
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom
Default Re: Something that concerns me about the "internet registration" of HL2...

im sure valve will address these issues when/if they come up. as of now, it seems these fears are purely speculation.
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 11:39 AM   #15
ynnek

So now you'll have to track user names and passwords for every game you play, since you'll be creating new accounts for each game. So you're back to square one again.. lmao

I personally like to have BOTH.. Physical and virtual copies.. Especially manuals.. I hate not being able to glance at the manual while i'm in the middle of the game.. or waste my money to print my own version out.

In the end, people that actually paid for the product, suffer much more than people that pirated it... thats not right.

I guess no longer we'll be able to play old video games in the future, when the activation scheme nologer exists. I guess you just have to stock up on cracked vers then.. lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman
I don't sell old games, I have plenty of friends and relatives who I pass stuff down to. So when I'm done playing HL2, I'll create a new Steam account, and give the login info to my friends/relatives.
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 11:58 AM   #16
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Quote:
Valve is not forcing anyone to buy HL2 or any other games. You don't like the product, don't buy it.
Nobody forced you to buy all those cds
Old 10-28-04, 12:03 PM   #17
OWA

Quote:
Maybe I'm a minority on this one, but I like the fact that Valve has the balls to push online distribution forward.
I'm actually worried that they'll be a huge success and that others will follow suit (a bad thing in my mind). I don't mind if it is just an option though as long as companies still provide a physical copy that can be purchased at retail or whatever. While my internet connection is fairly reliable, I don't really want to be dependent on it just to play a game or to be able to start a game especially if it is a single player game. The more stuff that becomes dependent on the internet, the more infuriating it becomes when the connection is down or is having problems. It's a potential headache that I don't think I need.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 12:10 PM   #18
Fatman

Send a message via ICQ to Fatman Send a message via AIM to Fatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireuk
Nobody forced you to buy all those cds
I'm not complaining about it, and I'm not blowing things out of proportion. Global warming is a concern, oil price is a concern, authenticating games via internet is not a concern for me.

Mobile Rig: Inspiron 8600 - Pentium M 2.0GHz - 1GB PC2700 - ATI Radeom Mobility 9600 128MB - Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM HDD
- 8X CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive - 15.4" WXGA Wide Display
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 12:12 PM   #19
Q

I think the biggest point here, and rightfully so, is the "eventually the company won't offer the service to activate" thing here. While more unlikely for valve than for some companies, eventually the service to activate the game WILL NOT EXIST. If Valve succeeds here, many companies will switch to this type of activation. The reason that the service won't exist is simple....some companies suck. They will go out of buisness or stop support a certain game.

I know that there are still a few older games that I or my girlfriend play that have NO support at all, not even a website. My girlfriend plays Frogger(the 3d one from 95), old as can be, but she still likes to play it. I've been looking for a simple patch for her to update her game (I know that one exists, but all the links around the freakin world are dead...). Unfortuanatly, the company no longer supports this game and there is no website for it. BUUUT, at least she can play the game....what if this game needed activation? Or my Virtual Fighter 2 or FF7. I still like these games, as much of relics as they are, and I wouldn't be able to play them if they needed activation.

I do think that something needs to be done to thwart piracy, and this IS a good idea....for Valve most likely, and for huge companies like Microsoft that we KNOW will be around to kingdom come. As long as other companies....smaller ones....shakier ones...dont adopt this policy....I think we'll be alright.

I hope.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 12:28 PM   #20
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Global warming is a concern,
Global warming actually isn't a concern. It's made up.

I've already expressed my opinions about the topic in another thread
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-04, 12:56 PM   #21
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Maybe I'm a minority on this one, but I like the fact that Valve has the balls to push online distribution forward. I have a ton of games, almost a drawer full of game manuals, key maps and other junk. I don't need all that crap, I'll take my manuals in PDF format, and I do prefer for the company to keep track of my CD keys. Bioware was probably the first company that offered me to keep my CD key in their online database. Steam is even better IMO. I don't sell old games, I have plenty of friends and relatives who I pass stuff down to. So when I'm done playing HL2, I'll create a new Steam account, and give the login info to my friends/relatives.
So what's wrong with the current system they use for Half-life 1 and it's mods? You can still install it and play on single-player and LAN without any need for a Steam account or authorisation. You have the benefit of being able to install the game at any computer you want at any time, and you still have the option of registering your game so that you can download it and reinstall it from anywhere, without having to worry about the CD or CD-keys. It's all the benefits of HL2's registration without the downsides. But there is absolutly no benefit to the players by FORCING them to register online. The point isn't that online registration sucks, it's that there's a better method they could be using that manages to not alienate their customers and still provide all the benefits offered by the service.

If any other game had an online registration system like this, people would probably either boycott it or pass the game off because of it. But because it's Half-life 2, Valve knows they can get away with pushing this system and virtually everyone will still buy the game. And once Valve has their foot in the door, how many other companies will step through? And that is what worries me far more than having a minor inconvenience about installing HL2: that some day many more games from smaller publishers will adopt this registration system, and their networks go down and the game is no longer playable. It's like applying the problematic online reliance structure from MMORPGs to single-player games (RIP Earth and Beyond...).

Quote:
Valve is not forcing anyone to buy HL2 or any other games. You don't like the product, don't buy it.
You know, I really hate this BS excuse. You can say that for ANY game, but that hardly means we aren't allowed to complain about their downsides. We're pointing out a flaw in a game and are suggesting substitutions that would work better, sounds pretty productive to me. But you are right: those that don't like this online registration system won't buy the game, instead they'll pirate it. Problem solved!
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 12:56 PM   #22
Fatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Global warming actually isn't a concern. It's made up.

I've already expressed my opinions about the topic in another thread
I was just making a point. I'm not a supporter of global warming theory. If any tree-huggers want to flame me for that, please use the open forum.

Mobile Rig: Inspiron 8600 - Pentium M 2.0GHz - 1GB PC2700 - ATI Radeom Mobility 9600 128MB - Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM HDD
Old 10-28-04, 01:02 PM   #23
Fatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
You know, I really hate this BS excuse. You can say that for ANY game, but that hardly means we aren't allowed to complain about their downsides. We're pointing out a flaw in a game and are suggesting substitutions that would work better, sounds pretty productive to me. But you are right: those that don't like this online registration system won't buy the game, instead they'll pirate it. Problem solved!
Whoa slow down sparky. I didn't say you can't complain, but damn, don't you realize (you being all the folks who complain) that Valve doesn't owe you anything. They are in business to make money. Customer loyalty is a factor you might want to consider, but is seems that in this particular case, they chose their interest above ours.

Old 10-28-04, 01:12 PM   #24
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Fatman is right.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote