Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-28-04, 01:23 PM   #25
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Default Re: Something that concerns me about the "internet registration" of HL2...

Err, yes they do "owe" me something. I'm paying $80 for one of their products, and I've purchased their past products at $25, $40, and $20 for HL1, OpFor, and Blueshift (respectively). I pay them money for a product that they provide: when they do something that I disagree with I'm going to let them know I don't approve of it, just as when they do something I like they will get my praise. It's like any other game having certain features or requirements, people should make their voice heard so that the developer knows how customers feel on the issue (for example many people complained to UBIsoft about many of their PC games requiring pixel shader compatable cards). If a large number of people got so mad at this online registration thing that they decide not purchase the game because of it, but they don't make thier views heard, then Valve is in for a big suprise when sales don't reach expectations (not likely, but it's only one example out of many about how customers can have in impact on a game). It's up to Valve to weigh the benefits and downsides to each decision they make, it's up to us to tell them what we want.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 02:25 PM   #26
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk
Default Re: Something that concerns me about the "internet registration" of HL2...

Well I hate warez kiddies but I'll be going with the cracked version once the pirates get it figured out thankyou
Old 10-28-04, 02:55 PM   #27
Fatman

Send a message via ICQ to Fatman Send a message via AIM to Fatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireuk
Well I hate warez kiddies but I'll be going with the cracked version once the pirates get it figured out thankyou
Edge, there is no need to romantisize the issue. HL2 fans are getting ****** no question about it. Once again, Valve does not owe you anything. You paid what ever the sum, but you purchased a product with EULA on it. Now, you may choose Vamp's route and go around the law, but strangely enough, what Valve is proposing is right up my alley. You beef seems to be with corporate politics in general, if so I would gladly discuss that with you in another thread.

Mobile Rig: Inspiron 8600 - Pentium M 2.0GHz - 1GB PC2700 - ATI Radeom Mobility 9600 128MB - Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM HDD
- 8X CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive - 15.4" WXGA Wide Display
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 03:21 PM   #28
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Well I wouldn't mind Valve's system if it wasn't mandatory for single-player games. And you may think it's a good idea now, but in 5, 10, 15 years where will Steam be? What will happen if you can't access Steam on the computer you want to install it from? Hell, what if you want to go back and show your kids or grandkids what you use to play when you were younger (OK so I'm getting ahead of myself, but still a point ). I like the idea of Steam and being able to access games from everywhere, I just don't like the idea of mandatory registration, no matter what the product.
Old 10-28-04, 05:00 PM   #29
Fatman

Send a message via ICQ to Fatman Send a message via AIM to Fatman

How many games from '99-2000 do you play? I've been playing CS on and off since summer 2000. The only reason I still do is because community keeps it alive and devs keep updating it. Steam goes down some day, community will be dead, CS will be dead. Yes, there is a remote possibility of Steam going down, Valve getting abducted by Klingons, or the whole human civilization being wiped out by a supernova 17 light-years away. All those things are possible, but lets try to be realistic and more or less objective about it.

Mobile Rig: Inspiron 8600 - Pentium M 2.0GHz - 1GB PC2700 - ATI Radeom Mobility 9600 128MB - Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM HDD
- 8X CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive - 15.4" WXGA Wide Display
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 06:03 PM   #30
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Well, considering I still play Total Annihilation, Dragon Force, and occasionally System Shock 2 (when I have no other games to play), I would be majorly disapointed if those games would eventually become unplayable due to registration reasons. Hell, Looking Glass died right after System Shock 2 was made, had they used a forced-online-registration system the game wouldn't have been playable after 1999. Valve isn't going to die anytime soon, but I am worried about Vivendi (they've made some pretty crappy decisions lately) and smaller startup companies that might not even live past their first game.

As I've said, I consider the registration for HL2 to be a minor issue. But there are also the short-term issues that I mentioned, such as never being able to loan the game to someone, not being able to play the game on a computer without an internet connection (there are at least 2 people on this forum alone who have their primary game-playing computer offline), or even temporary Steam or internet blackouts. Hell, given my current ISP it wouldn't suprise me if they would go down for a few days, and given my luck they'd go down on the 16th and wouldn't be back up until the 20th . Reminds me of how Phantasy Star Online on the Xbox required a Live account even to play single-player.
Old 10-28-04, 06:56 PM   #31
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman
How many games from '99-2000 do you play? I've been playing CS on and off since summer 2000. The only reason I still do is because community keeps it alive and devs keep updating it. Steam goes down some day, community will be dead, CS will be dead. Yes, there is a remote possibility of Steam going down, Valve getting abducted by Klingons, or the whole human civilization being wiped out by a supernova 17 light-years away. All those things are possible, but lets try to be realistic and more or less objective about it.
Yeesh, are you nuts?

If people didnt play old games then there would be no emulators, old consoles, DOS emulators or windows compatibility modes. At least half of the games I have installed on my computer are from 1997-2000. Not to mention my hundreds of ROMs (uhh... legal roms ) mostly from the pre-1990 era... then there is the DOS\9x machine I built to play the 1990-1996 era games I loved.

Anyone with a decent long term memory and some old games that they loved will want to play them again a few years down the road.

And saying that super novas and klingons are just as unrealistic as Steam being shut down is a load of BS. With the lawsuits and legal problems Valve and their publisher are having, I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if they had to shut down steam in less than 2 years (they are totaly bypassing their publisher, theres only so much they can get away with). Not to mention 10 years down the road (which isnt that far when we talk about GOOD games, ive played and beated at least 5 games this year alone from before 1995) when Valve and other large developers could very well be gone. All it would take is one really crappy title and they would be finished.

Obviously, im not to thrilled about this whole thing either. Some people play games to blow through them once and brag that they beat it. But I like to play games because of the atmosphere and the entertainment. If a game has a good atmosphere and is fun to play, ill play it through over and over. I would be surprised if there was a single game that I have ever enjoyed that I dont have access to right now. Simply because I love replaying games. If half-life 2 is good, ill want to do the same with it. I just hope this steam authentication crap doesnt interfere with that a few years down the road.

Hopefully there will be cracks to avoid it just in case...
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 07:01 PM   #32
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

Don't forget to fret about the poor bastards that might not get it in the first place.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-04, 07:15 PM   #33
shinrai

I purchased the silver HL2 preorder only becasuse the 'free' source enhanced games are not available on the normal retail store version. And being in Australia, i didn't have to pay for distributors costs so i saved 20% or so buying through source.
shinrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 07:47 PM   #34
WeReWoLf

I've already payed for mine through source, so you might be wondering what i'm complaining about. I also wanted the collectors edition box-set.
Old 10-28-04, 08:13 PM   #35
anzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinrai
I purchased the silver HL2 preorder only becasuse the 'free' source enhanced games are not available on the normal retail store version. And being in Australia, i didn't have to pay for distributors costs so i saved 20% or so buying through source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeReWoLf5900
I've already payed for mine through source, so you might be wondering what i'm complaining about. I also wanted the collectors edition box-set.
You paid for it through Steam not the Source Engine.
anzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 08:30 PM   #36
WeReWoLf

yeah that too.