Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-28-04, 11:01 PM   #37
theultimo
DoD + Sharepoint=Headache

Default Re: Something that concerns me about the "internet registration" of HL2...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
Yeesh, are you nuts?

If people didnt play old games then there would be no emulators, old consoles, DOS emulators or windows compatibility modes. At least half of the games I have installed on my computer are from 1997-2000. Not to mention my hundreds of ROMs (uhh... legal roms ) mostly from the pre-1990 era... then there is the DOS\9x machine I built to play the 1990-1996 era games I loved.

Anyone with a decent long term memory and some old games that they loved will want to play them again a few years down the road.

And saying that super novas and klingons are just as unrealistic as Steam being shut down is a load of BS. With the lawsuits and legal problems Valve and their publisher are having, I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if they had to shut down steam in less than 2 years (they are totaly bypassing their publisher, theres only so much they can get away with). Not to mention 10 years down the road (which isnt that far when we talk about GOOD games, ive played and beated at least 5 games this year alone from before 1995) when Valve and other large developers could very well be gone. All it would take is one really crappy title and they would be finished.

Obviously, im not to thrilled about this whole thing either. Some people play games to blow through them once and brag that they beat it. But I like to play games because of the atmosphere and the entertainment. If a game has a good atmosphere and is fun to play, ill play it through over and over. I would be surprised if there was a single game that I have ever enjoyed that I dont have access to right now. Simply because I love replaying games. If half-life 2 is good, ill want to do the same with it. I just hope this steam authentication crap doesnt interfere with that a few years down the road.

Hopefully there will be cracks to avoid it just in case...

Uhh....is this too many? Heh, still need to update to .87....

I play emulated/old game more then newer stuff, really. Its too easy to jump in and play a quick game while waiting for something....And the only games like activation are the CPS2-style, where you lose a battery, you have to send the board to capcom....
theultimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 01:30 AM   #38
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Talking Re: Something that concerns me about the "internet registration" of HL2...

I always pirate companys products who screw REAL customers and or overprise , greedy Corporations will learn one day when they start looseing cash and or management will be replaced.

I wonder why stupid people always get to be managers or CEO of something important.
Quote:
A man flying in a hot air balloon realized he was lost.

Reducing altitude, he spotted a man on the ground and descended to shouting range..

"Excuse me," he shouted. "Can you help me? I promised my friend I would meet him a half hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The man below responded: "Yes. You are in a hot air balloon, hovering approximately 30 feet above this field. You are between 40 and 42 degrees North Latitude, and between 58 and 60 degrees West Longitude."

"You must be an engineer," responded the balloonist.

"I am," the man replied. "How did you know?"

"Well," said the balloonist, "everything you have told me is technically correct, but I have no idea what to make of your information, and the fact is I am still lost."

Whereupon the man on the ground responded, "You must be a manager."

"That I am" replied the balloonist, "but how did you know?"

"Well," said the man, "you don't know where you are, or where you're going. You have made a promise which you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. The fact is, you are in the exact same position you were before we met, but now it is somehow my fault."
When they start looseing money they always blame users or pirates for stealing they perfect products
Old 10-29-04, 03:49 AM   #39
Kavvv

Default Re: Something that concerns me about the "internet registration" of HL2...

Im gonna play the pirate version. Nothing can make me use Steam agn.
Wanna stop piracy? lmao this will prolly make more ppl get the pirate version

Get that commie crap out of my PC
ty

I doubt anything can stop piracy. Look at dead to rights the crack for this game is a whole CD. I dunno what protection they used lol
but the crack is 550MB CD image
Kavvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 06:22 AM   #40
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

My beef is that it is in my opinion a stupid idea, if I like something I buy the damn thing but crap like this really puts me off.
Old 10-29-04, 08:17 AM   #41
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS
greedy Corporations will learn one day when they start looseing cash and or management will be replaced.
Yes, DAMN those GREEDY CORPORATIONS for trying to make money! Never mind that everything I own is produced by GREEDY, EVIL CORPORATIONS, thus making me a complete hypocrit, I hate EVIL CAPITALIST CORPORATIONS!!

Anywho, you guys are assuming that Valve won't provide a patch of some sort when/if Steam goes down. I'm sure they will. They aren't going to making Half-Life 2 impossible to play, that wouldn't make any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvv

ty
I like how software pirates try to act like they're making some kind of statement by not buying the software. The only statement you're making is "I'm too much of a cheap ass to buy my games". A thief is a thief. Morality aside, piracy is theft, don't try to make it something it isn't.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 08:38 AM   #42
Kavvv

lol whatever dude
Im not "too much of a cheap ass to buy the game"
im just not gonna bend over and take it up the ass
kk bbye now
Kavvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 08:39 AM   #43
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Can you tell us all how you are "bending over and taking it up the ass" by paying for the game instead of stealing it? I somehow doubt you can. Nice to see more pre-pubescent retards joining the forum :P
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 10-29-04, 08:52 AM   #44
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

Send a message via AIM to karkrash81

hey ninja, this sounds familiar doesn't it haha

after much (actually not much) thought, i think i agree with you on every point you made in the last thread and this one...

and despite this policy and what anybody thinks about it, piracy is not the answer
My System: Athlon 64 x2 3800+ overclocked to 4600+/2 GB Geil PC3200/8800 GTS 320 mb/Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard/Logitech z-680's/Total of 760 GB of Hard Drive Space (2x300 + 1x160)/audigy 2/Two 20.1" Widescreen LCD's (Dell 2005fpw)
Favorite movie: Snatch/Favorite Game: NOLF/Song of the Week: "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse/
What I'm Playing this Week: Nothing!
karkrash81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-04, 09:01 AM   #45
Fatman

Send a message via ICQ to Fatman Send a message via AIM to Fatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvv

ty

I doubt anything can stop piracy. Look at dead to rights the crack for this game is a whole CD. I dunno what protection they used lol
but the crack is 550MB CD image
You are right, piracy will never be stopped. Because there will always be people like you, who will find an excuse to justify their actions.

Mobile Rig: Inspiron 8600 - Pentium M 2.0GHz - 1GB PC2700 - ATI Radeom Mobility 9600 128MB - Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM HDD
- 8X CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive - 15.4" WXGA Wide Display
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 09:03 AM   #46
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by karkrash81
hey ninja, this sounds familiar doesn't it
Heh heh, good point - I'll drop it now, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents...again
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 10-29-04, 09:12 AM   #47
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman
You are right, piracy will never be stopped. Because there will always be people like you, who will find an excuse to justify their actions.
Which will result in one or all of the following conditions:

1) Higher prices for games because publishers will spend more time and effort to try and combat piracy.

2) Devs stop making games all together because of rampant piracy. Imagine no Half-Life 3 or Doom 4 because retards wanted free games. Makes me want to

3) More stringent copy protection schemes that screw with people who legitmately buy games. And this has already happened with certain titles, the biggest being UT2004.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 10:13 AM   #48
Riptide

What happened w/UT2004?
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote