Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-28-04, 01:20 PM   #1
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Thumbs up New Half-Life 2 Interview

Quote:
Valentin 'bladi' Ihringer, inHalflife.de: How long will it take an average player to complete the Half-Life2 single player mode?

Heinrich Lenhardt, PC Games: Hmm, you have to be careful when giving such numbers, there’s no real way to tell what exactly an ‘average’ player is. On the medium difficulty level it will probably take about 20 hours.

Valentin 'bladi' Ihringer, inHalflife.de: In your opinion, which was the most impressive innovation in the game?

Heinrich Lenhardt, PC Games: The physics simulation. Not only it being in place, but what the level designers made of it when it comes to playing. The final product is a visual instruction for the whole game making industry.

Valentin 'bladi' Ihringer, inHalflife.de: Do you miss the deathmatch mode?

Heinrich Lenhardt, PC Games: Not that much. It would have been a nice extra, but there’s no reason to complain about the multiplayer part as Counter-Strike : Source was included.

Valentin 'bladi' Ihringer, inHalflife.de: How many new pictures and videos can the readers expect to find in the next PC Games issue?

Heinrich Lenhardt, PC Games: just check it out

Valentin 'bladi' Ihringer, inHalflife.de: Can you describe the different character between Doom3, Farcry and Half-Life2 using a few words?

Heinrich Lenhardt, PC Games: Half-Life2 is rather comparable to Farcry than to Doom3. All 3 games are very good in their own way, but out of the 3 we would pick Half-Life2, as it offers the best diversity.

Valentin 'bladi' Ihringer, inHalflife.de: Are the system requirements for Half-Life2 justified? What was the setup of the machine you used for the tests and did it run stable?

Heinrich Lenhardt, PC Games: The official benchmark, which is enclosed with CS:Source, pretty much shows the same result as on our test machine (P4 3.2 GHz, 2Gbyte RAM and a Readeon X800 XT, with that Half-Life2 ran at 60 FPS at a resolution of 1600x1200, full details and 6x edge smoothing and 8x asyntropic filtering). We therefore have used this official benchmark for our issue, but we are also going to have a test with our own benchmarks in the issue after the next.

Valentin 'bladi' Ihringer, inHalflife.de: What is your stance on the fact one will have to activate Half-Life2 via Steam after purchase in order to play the single player mode? Do you think this will be a problem for people who do not know about this when they buy the game?

Heinrich Lenhardt, PC Games: It would be nice if there was a visible hint on the package. The whole thing is kind of a hassle. But in the last 20 years I have already seen some much more annoying copy protections.

Valentin 'bladi' Ihringer, inHalflife.de: The ’USK’ has rated the game with ’inappropriate for persons under 18 years of age’. What do you, after having tested the game, say about that?

Heinrich Lenhardt, PC Games: The rating is quite appropriate. We are happy that the adult german players will not be punished with ‘robot graphics’ like in the predecessor game.

Valentin 'bladi' Ihringer, inHalflife.de: Will there be riddles to solve in half-Life2, were there points during your test where you had to think of something for a longer time? Or is Half-Life2 rather a stupid shooter game coming with impressive graphics and physics?

Heinrich Lenhardt, PC Games: Half-Life2 is absoutely not a stupid game, there are quite some fiddly and also logical riddles. There actually was a riddle where none of us had a clue, so after a while we gave up and asked the nice programmer next door for a little hint…

Valentin 'bladi' Ihringer, inHalflife.de: How is the die-hard Half-Life fan going to prepare for Half-Life2?

Heinrich Lenhardt, PC Games: One should try to remember some of the old times, because Half-Life2 does contain some very well done allusions to its predecessor. One should also keep a supply of energy nutrition (the approved peanut-butter-protein-bars from the valve bureau kitchen are unfortunately hard to get over here). And of course apply for a short holiday after the 15th of november release day. Possibly then the so-called ‘Half-Life2 flu’ will rage among Germany’s players...

Valentin 'bladi' Ihringer, inHalflife.de: Is Half-Life2 easy on beginners? How many difficulty levels are there and how are they called?

Heinrich Lenhardt, PC Games: Yes, it will be easy for beginners. The players will not be clobbered over the head with events, unusual new weapons are being explained very well. There are 3 difficulty settings to choose from.

Valentin 'bladi' Ihringer, inHalflife.de: How long do you think Half-Life2 will be able to stay on top of the charts? How many copies do you expect will be sold?

Heinrich Lenhardt, PC Games: Oh, this is actually very hard to predict. Let’s say it this way: If THIS thing does not sell a couple million of times, then something is wrong with the pc gaming world.

Valentin 'bladi' Ihringer, inHalflife.de: Are there long periods of the player not being on his way alone during the game, but has a support?

Heinrich Lenhardt, PC Games: We didn’t take the time on that, but one is mostly on his way solo. Team battles are occuring more often in the last third of the game.

Valentin 'bladi' Ihringer, inHalflife.de: Has the ending of the game surprised you, or was it predictable? Are there alternate endings possible?

Heinrich Lenhardt, PC Games: The story is predetermined, there is only one ending. The finale is very dramatic and by all means has its surprise elements – but we do not want to give away any more secrets.

Valentin 'bladi' Ihringer, inHalflife.de: Who is Gordon Freeman building up relationships with during the game?

Heinrich Lenhardt, PC Games: No comment on Alyx The friendship between men with Barney is in any case also not missing out.

Valentin 'bladi' Ihringer, inHalflife.de: Is it possible to affect the string of events within the game, for example by killing of certain NPCs?

Heinrich Lenhardt, PC Games: No, the story is strictly linear.

Valentin 'bladi' Ihringer, inHalflife.de: Is it possible to save the game whenever you like or are the so-called save points?

Heinrich Lenhardt, PC Games: Yes, there are save points, but you can also save the game at any time.

Valentin 'bladi' Ihringer, inHalflife.de: Does the player receive a list of objectives? And if, does he have to fulfil some of those within a time limit?

Heinrich Lenhardt, PC Games: No, there is no list of objectives in that sense. It is always pretty obvious what has to be done next.

Valentin 'bladi' Ihringer, inHalflife.de: Describe City17, the place in which gordon Freeman is staying.

Heinrich Lenhardt, PC Games: Let’s say it this way: The first couple of minutes in City17 are part of the best i have experienced in game when it comes to the atmosphere – without a single bullet being fired.

Valentin 'bladi' Ihringer, inHalflife.de: Do you wish for a Half-Life3?

Heinrich Lenhardt, PC Games: Yes, definetly! We have the feeling that Valve sooner or later (more likely) will grant that wish to the fans.
http://halflife.ingame.de/article.ph...=69&intSite=13

And a translated German interview with Gabe-
Quote:
PC Games:
Gabe at the beginning of the development of HL2 you said to your team that money is no consideration the main thing is that you create the best pc game ever. Do you think that this plan worked well for you guys?

GabeN:
Yes, now that the work is done, I think that we succeeded. I am very proud of my Team. I don’t want to compare HL2 to other games or look down on them contemptuously. I just think that we had an idea of what the future of gaming should be like in terms of characters, world and gameplay – and I think that what we achieved is better than what we hoped to be able to create.

PC Games:
What do you think are the three most important strengths of HL2?

GabeN:
Characters and physics are ranked 1st and 2nd. Merging all parts together and taking the artistical design and acoustical design on one level with the graphical programming is most seemingly the third important factor.

PC Games:
We also noticed that HL2 is a very, very versatile game: Every chapter has its own mood and feeling.

GabeN:
The game has a very diverse plot and many character developments, and there were many factors we had to keep in mind in order to make the gameplay work: How often do we scare the gamer, how often is gamer the involved in fights or when will the gamer just explore.

PC Games:
What went wrong in development of HL2?

GabeN:
The biggest catastrophe was that we weren’t able to stick release dates. That is very frustrating for the gamers, the publishers and of course for us. That is noubt the biggest problem we have. We know how we can achieve a great level of quality, but than we screw up at making realistic release dates. We also screwed this up while developing HL1.

PC Games:
The next Valve project will be Team Fortress 2. Do we have to wait another six years before we get our hands on HL3?

GabeN:
No. I think we are now in a position where we can release games more regularly. We now have the tools, the characters, the gameplay options, so that we can create new content much faster.
Much we did in the last time was aligned to take us to a position where we could produce much more efficient. Every aspect of a game is so complex, be it a unique character or a building. I think that we are in a good shape for that now and also I don’t want to develop another game for six years for the teams’ sake.

PC Games:
How many people worked on HL2?

GabeN:
During the development there were about 50 staffers. If you also count voice actors and testers there are easily another 50.

PC Games:
We hardly dare to ask how much money went into the HL2’s production…

GabeN:
I will wait for start of the retail sale of HL2, until we calculate that exactly. At one point during the development our fiscal manager (sorry don’t know the correct term) Pat Goodwin said to me: Oh well, until now the production costs 40 million dollar. I answered him: I don’t wanna hear that, no updates on that figure anymore!

PC Games:
Do you see enough creative clearance for more games in the HL-Universe?

GabeN:
We try to create a framework for interesting storylines. I think there is still a lot that can be done after HL2. For example two of my favourite characters are Alyx and Dog (the robot).
I’d love to have a little time to create something new with both of them. Other team members have other favourites.

PC Games:
Which competitor made you nervier this year: Far Cry or Doom3?

GabeN:
Hard to say – I am a fan of the Doom series, Far Cry is not really my territory. The Doom 3 release was very exciting, because Doom is the very reason why I’m in the business – in that regard I’m really a fanboy. We don’t believe that it’s bad having several good titles on the market, because gamers mostly have enough time to play more than one title.

PC Games:
In what area in regard to game production do you see the next big technical step?

GabeN:
For us it’s learning to use our new tools better. Much is craftsmanship: understanding how to make dramatic scenes, using our new non-linear animation system. The result is the cooperation between art and AI, which work simultaneously, to create a unique gaming experience. We don’t look for new challenges but for consolidation, because we think that we barely scratched the surface.
Old 10-28-04, 01:28 PM   #2
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: New Half-Life 2 Interview

Nice find jakUp. All these finds you're coming up with are making me want the game even more. Dang it. The system specs thing is kinda scary though, I'm sure nobody will be playing it at 1600x1200, especially not me.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 01:30 PM   #3
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Well he said that the game runs like the Source benchmark... so 1600x1200 4x/16x here I come!!
Old 10-28-04, 01:54 PM   #4
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Haha. I've never tried running a game at 1600x1200. I only use 1280x1024 for my desktop and 1024x768 for my games. So maybe I could run it that high. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Later.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 02:17 PM   #5
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

1280x1024 with some AA and AF is all I ask for. I don't think that will be a problem.

It'll be great to come back from Vegas and HL2 will only be a couple days away after that.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 02:50 PM   #6
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

did any of you guys read the interview with a german accent? or was it just me?
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 03:18 PM   #7
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

I cant wait to fire up Half-Life 2.

Even with my measly Radeon 9800pro 256mb, I will probably be able to play 1024x768 2xAA and 8XAF, with all it's high-rez, high-polygon goodness
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 03:40 PM   #8
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

16*12 w/ 8x AA here. Good interviews
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-04, 12:34 AM   #9
aAv7

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom
did any of you guys read the interview with a german accent? or was it just me?
lol-yea I always do that. I dunno if that means we are of higher intellect or lower
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
aAv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 12:51 PM   #10
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by |JuiceZ|
16*12 w/ 8x AA here. Good interviews
Sweet dreams

Wake up though...
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 12:53 PM   #11
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Yeah really, I don't expect I'll be able to play anything near 16x12 @ 8xAA. Even UT2K4 is a slideshow at those settings. It'd be nice though *sigh*

*did you mean Anisotropic Filtering, or Anti-Aliasing?
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote