Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-29-04, 07:58 AM   #1
gore daimon

Default NForce 2 audio driver not working under Mandrake 10.0

I cannot get any digital audio (dsp) with this driver. Under KDE, only the CD player works. I´m using Kernel 2.6 (first release for mdk 10.0) and thew latest nvsound. When I starts Kde sound system, it gives an error that cannot allocate memory for /dev/dsp. It´s very strange! Somebody have this problem?
gore daimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 02:18 PM   #2
viper_xtr

Default Re: NForce 2 audio driver not working under Mandrake 10.0

I had the same issues as you, im running mandrake 10 Official with the same kernel, there is a doc included with the install of the nforce that points out things that need to be changed in /etc/modprob.conf and i believe its the default line in it stating alias sound-slot-0 nvaudio (or it could be alias sound-slot-0 int8x0) needs to be remarked out with # and alias sound-slot-0 nvsound added in to it also make sure your sound system is set to threaded open sound system as stated in the nforce install document included with the install.

Now i do have sound from nvsound with no errors but the sound is distorted or garbled so im off to search this forum for a solution or anyone else here have one to post.
viper_xtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 03:17 PM   #3
DaBlade

Hi! Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I have a similar problem, but on Fedora Core 2.
I'm quite a noob, so here's my modprobe.conf. Can someone give me an edited version of it, so that it works?
My chipset is nForce2, and I'm on Kernel 2.6.8-1.521. (And I'm on KDE)
Code:
alias eth0 8139too
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
alias usb-controller2 ohci-hcd
alias char-major-195* nvidia
Old 10-31-04, 03:03 PM   #4
jacen

In KDE you must configure the Sound System, and choose hardware -> Open Sound System MultiThread, so KDE can use the oss driver from Nvidia.
jacen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-04, 03:19 PM   #5
DaBlade

I did it, but still no sound.
Old 11-01-04, 12:14 PM   #6
viper_xtr

Its true that hardware needs to be set to Threaded open sound system if running the nvaudio or nvsound driver, from the modprobe.conf file in DaBlade's post i see the default is set to intel8x0 which works in my nforce2 system with kde sound hardware set to the alsa driver.

Only thing i think with the alsa driver being used with intel8x0, you wont get all the features your hardware support like 5.1 sound.

DaBlade all you need to do to get nvsound and im guessing that you have downloaded and installed the nforce2 driver from nvidia, is to open the modprobe.conf file with something like kedit or any other type of file editor, make sure you have root or root permissions so you can edit the file, remake this line (alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0) in modprobe.conf like so # alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0 and add this line alias sound-slot-0 nvsound then save and close the editor, it also states that you need to run the command modprobe nvsound, reboot and when linux loads it should load the nvsound module, then make sure kde is set to Threaded open sound system, if all this is done properly you should have sound.

The nvsound driver on my system just didnt quite run right, while i could play mp3's great all but one dvd movie player would play properly, sound in some games where distorted, audio in dvd movies ran slow in 6 channel mode, so i defaulted back to the intel8x0 and alsa sound since it ran without a hitch in games and dvd movies, i may wait for the next nforce 2 driver release to try nvsound again.

My System Specs, not OC'ed
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ with 333 FSB
XFX MainBoard with Nforce2 chipsets with integrated nforce audio and nv ethernet
Kingston 512 mb DDR PC2700 Ram with Heat Spreader
Asylum Geforce FX 5600 with 256 DDR vid ram
Western Digital 80 GB special edition harddrive
Linux Mandrake 10 Official

Last edited by viper_xtr; 11-01-04 at 12:26 PM. Reason: needed an extra sentence
Old 11-01-04, 01:40 PM   #7
zajelo3

I had the same expierience as viper_xtr with the nvsound 0292 driver and switched back to the alsa driver. The nvidia audio drivers are too new right now and there just not working right for most people. The 0292 driver is just the second release that supports the nvidia APU and it still has some bugs. I couldn't get the first driver to work at all. I have seen some posts where people have mixing (via the dmix plugin) and surround sound working with alsa but the documentation is sparse and it looks like a major pain. Keep in mind though that anything that is done sound wise right now is on the software side of things and your CPU has to handle the sound via the AC97 audio controller. When Nvidia gets these audio drivers working right they will use the APU and all the audio tasks (mixing,surround,etc) will use the APU not the CPU, which equals better performance, like higher framerates in games. I think Nvidia is going to have to start using alsa because oss is becoming obsolete very fast and it would also reduce confusion on the end users part.
zajelo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-04, 03:41 PM   #8
viper_xtr

I totally agree, hopefully nvidia gets this fixed soon for us , i remember reading somewhere that oss was being phased out in favor of alsa.
Kingston 512 mb DDR PC2700 Ram with Heat Spreader
Asylum Geforce FX 5600 with 256 DDR vid ram
Western Digital 80 GB special edition harddrive
Linux Mandrake 10 Official

Old 11-01-04, 04:20 PM   #9
DaBlade

It didn't work. It's still muted.
Old 03-26-05, 09:29 AM   #10
amal

Smile Re: NForce 2 audio driver not working under Mandrake 10.0

Hi,

I had the same problem, and it started working after I changed to Threaded open sound system in KDE.. Thanks for that infooo.. :-)
amal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 06:26 AM   #11
raghugs

Hello

I installed NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0301 drivers for Mandrake 10.1 runing 2.6.8.1-12mdk version of kernel,
i installed just sound driver, installer compiled a driver and then installed it,
i changed modprobe.conf and replaced alsa driver with nvsound, upon restarting my system hung on showing this message.

Starting sound (nvsound)

i reverted modprobe.conf to alsa driver and booted the system then modpobed nvsound this time nvsound module loaded successfuly.
nvsound module only load if snd-intel8x0 module already loaded.
shall i set nvsound as default sound card driver in modprobe.conf and add modprobe snd-intel8x0 to modprobe.preload?
does it work?
please help me.
raghugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 06:41 AM   #12
SuLinUX

The nvidia sound driver is a waste of time, If you get sound by the intel_8x0 driver use it since it's ALSA.

I dont know why some people make issues for themself when they have a perfectly working driver in the kernel, dont people trust opensource driver or what?
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote