Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-26-05, 09:46 AM   #1
lucasd

Default linux ppc drivers

Can you recompile/rebuild your drivers to provide a version for linux on ppc architecture?

There are many users of Apple hardware with NVidia cards who would really like to have their hardware properly supported.

thanks,
lucas
lucasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-05, 10:28 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: linux ppc drivers

This has been asked lots of times but nvidia currently isn't interested in ppc linux as the demand for drivers is low. I think they would consider it if big customers asked for drivers but for now there won't be drivers. The only linux ppc support is the opensource nv driver from xfree86/xorg which is maintained by nvidia.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-05, 01:28 PM   #3
MadEgg

Is the opensource nv driver maintained by nvidia? Didn't know that, I thought it was just the XFree86 team's effort to create a driver or something...
Old 03-26-05, 01:48 PM   #4
Thunderbird

I think it was started at the time by someone from ST which produced the riva128 and rivatnt. After that it was maintained by xfree86 guys and some time later Mark Vojkovich took it over. (he was a xfree86 core developer and he works for nvidia)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-05, 12:06 AM   #5
acrux
ISF Napoli

IMHO, a lot of linux people 'd migrate to PPC platform if there was nVidia drivers .
Now there are very stable linux distro for PPC.
acrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-05, 06:25 AM   #6
MadEgg

Actually I doubt that seeing that there isn't too much to use hardware acceleration on PPC yet anyway. All commercial games ported to Linux aren't ported to PPC/Linux AFAIK(except for 1 or 2 games from Loki) and for the rest there isn't much except for tuxracer, is there?

I'm happy enough as it is if commercial games get ported to Linux/x86, I think it would be a tad too much to ask for those companies to also port it to Linux/PPC even though it might not be that much extra effort programming-wise but it also would make another binary they'd have to support and make patches for etc.
Old 03-27-05, 09:01 PM   #7
acrux
ISF Napoli

Exclamation Re: linux ppc drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadEgg
Actually I doubt that seeing that there isn't too much to use hardware acceleration on PPC yet anyway. All commercial games ported to Linux aren't ported to PPC/Linux AFAIK(except for 1 or 2 games from Loki) and for the rest there isn't much except for tuxracer, is there?
..not about games.
ehy, there is people that sometimes use to work here :P

greetz,
Acrux
acrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 01:55 AM   #8
MadEgg

That use Linux/PPC 3D acceleration for work? Please explain :P I think that's even a more niche market but anyway.