Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-02-04, 05:45 PM   #13
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Send a message via ICQ to Skrot
Default Re: GuildWars Beta Weekend event...lucky?

Oh yeah there are places where you can just roam around. I went for a wander about the countryside killing beasties with my girl, and we came across a quest zone. I think the way that it works is that when you teleport to a zone, you're actually just teleporting to a distant area that you could have otherwise walked to. But maybe every area is instanced? This does seem possible, actually.

egbtmagus, why do you seem so angry about the definition of the game as an MMORPG? It's just a game...
Skrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-04, 06:10 PM   #14
faraday

first of all, even in towns it isn't massive, because after a certain amount of people enter the town (place whatever) the game automatically creates a new distric, so its never overcrowded, meaning unless you know who you're looking for, chances are you're not meeting anyone you know in the game.

Exploratory areas aren't even big, and again the district problem I think (someone check that).
All pvp is guild based, meaning its usually a couple dozen players max ?? Notthing like DaOC's 500+ player PvP (More like 200 in a good day but theoretically...).

It's very powergamer oriented, fast lvling, fast health/mana recovery, no arrows, no definitive specialization in skills...

It's definitly NOT a typical MMORPG, but it's a refreshing twist of the genre to me. I liked it somewhat, but I feel like I'll be bored with it quick.
faraday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-04, 09:41 PM   #15
K007

Its easy to meet your freinds, just look at your freinds list O.o, i had alot of old d2 buddys play gw and we got to geather and had a blast with this game .

PS:The guys at the ign forums has started a thread to give out there freinds keys to unfortunate souls who cant get the game because AREANET hasent got the game out to people in there countries, i got a freinds key for this weekend, i have pre ordered mine via UK as well so its all good for me
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-04, 09:40 AM   #16
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrot

egbtmagus, why do you seem so angry about the definition of the game as an MMORPG? It's just a game...
Sorry get kinda over the top on this subject because its annoying when people compare games that aren't even in the same genre. It's like comparing UO and D2... they are completly different. People are constantly calling GW an MMORPG and it needs to stop since it truly isn't. Not even the developers are calling it an MMORPG.

GW is an Online Action RPG, while EQ2 and WoW are MMORPG's. They are in a different league. The world in EQ2 and WoW can be affected by the players, your character actually adaptes during his/her life do to factions which isn't in Guild Wars. The only way your Character grows in GW is by level/gear and stats.