Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-06-04, 02:15 PM   #109
Razorman

Default Re: FlatOut Demo (RIP NFSU2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin Presler
It does that on mine with the 6677's (cause they're junk) but is fine with 6177's and no v-sync. Mine didn't reboot, it went into a nasty sound looping BSOD.

Usin 66:81's here.
1Gb Samsung DDR 400 Mem @ Cas 2.5 Dual Channel
3D Mark 05 5749
66.93 Drivers
Razorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-04, 02:23 PM   #110
circuitbreaker8

Quote:
Well, I guess if you like wall riding the same track spit up 6 ways in the dark, a crappy EA only multiplayer lobby with no chat or even pings reported and nothing but old expired race pit info so you can't even get in a race, and if you did you would be wrecked repeatedly by some packet dumping, no connection kids warping, disappearing/reappearing, lag car, then maybe NFSU2 will have better racing.

Pffft. The only thing NFS has on FO is better engine sounds and Brooke Burk's boobehz! That's it.
Well, only noobs wallride, and you can do that in pretty much any arcade game I'll admit, MP isnt anything to write home about, but SP looks awesome with its open city and stuff. I donno, I just hate the country look, and I hate rednecks, so i guess this game just doesn't appeal to me
ll Cooler Master Praetorian WTX Form ll OCZ PowerStream 520 ll AMD Athlon 64 3400 ClawHammer CG@2.55Ghz ll Zalman 7000Cu ll DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb ll OCZ EL Platinum 3200 rev2 3200 @ 255Mhz 2.5-3-3-7(2x512Mb) ll Gigabyte X800XT PE 256Mb GDDR3 VIVO@580/580 ll Arctic Silencer 4 ll SB Audigy 2 ZS ll Logitech Z-560 THX 4.1 ll NEC FE991Sb 19" CRT ll 14.9k in 3dmark03! :eek:
circuitbreaker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-04, 02:26 PM   #111
TheTaz

Well... the demo runs sweet on my 6800GT. (65.73's)

Have an obvious billinear line with my 9800 Pro.
It's way worse with in game AA / AF than driver control panel AA / AF. Very annoying. I'll try a newer driver, cuz I think that machine is still runing Catalyst 4.8's.

Taz
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-04, 03:57 PM   #112
Elvin Presler

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitbreaker8
Well, only noobs wallride, and you can do that in pretty much any arcade game I'll admit, MP isnt anything to write home about, but SP looks awesome with its open city and stuff. I donno, I just hate the country look, and I hate rednecks, so i guess this game just doesn't appeal to me
Um. No, in NFSU 1/2 wall riding is the way the "pros" win because it is faster...because the game is crap and does not penalize for it. Wall riding is the only way to win races. If you don't do it in that game, you are the noob. Try it in FlatOut and you'll be stopping for a picnic, not winning a race. Try it in ToCA RD2 and you'll be looking at nothing but others license plates.

WTF? Rednecks? I didn't see any burning crosses or trailer parks in the demo...did you? Or did you just mean that anything other than a trendy ricer with plastic garbage stuck all over it is for rednecks only?
Elvin Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-04, 04:07 PM   #113
circuitbreaker8

Quote:
Um. No, in NFSU 1/2 wall riding is the way the "pros" win because it is faster...because the game is crap and does not penalize for it. Wall riding is the only way to win races. If you don't do it in that game, you are the noob. Try it in FlatOut and you'll be stopping for a picnic, not winning a race. Try it in ToCA RD2 and you'll be looking at nothing but others license plates.

WTF? Rednecks? I didn't see any burning crosses or trailer parks in the demo...did you? Or did you just mean that anything other than a trendy ricer with plastic garbage stuck all over it is for rednecks only?
Lets see....

*drive old american cars
*Look what the guy is dressed in
*who else drives on an all dirt track?
*PLAY THE FIRST LEVEL

if thats not redneck, i donno what is. This game just screems country trash. And I know NFS:UG2 screens RICE, but i'd rock a 350Z or Infiniti G35 coupe before I drive an old beater.
ll Cooler Master Praetorian WTX Form ll OCZ PowerStream 520 ll AMD Athlon 64 3400 ClawHammer CG@2.55Ghz ll Zalman 7000Cu ll DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb ll OCZ EL Platinum 3200 rev2 3200 @ 255Mhz 2.5-3-3-7(2x512Mb) ll Gigabyte X800XT PE 256Mb GDDR3 VIVO@580/580 ll Arctic Silencer 4 ll SB Audigy 2 ZS ll Logitech Z-560 THX 4.1 ll NEC FE991Sb 19" CRT ll 14.9k in 3dmark03! :eek:
circuitbreaker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-04, 06:12 PM   #114
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Well then you don't know what is "redneck"... so please be quiet and go play with your 100 hp penny racers.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-04, 06:20 PM   #115
H3avyM3tal
SB's Twin Blades

They are all right.
You have to admit that the racing part in this game is nothing to write home about.
It doesn't even barely scraches the surface of racing. Hell, even the old destruction derby 2 was more racing than this one (dare I say destruction derby 1).

And correct me if I'm wrong, but the only racer out there, which panalizes you for wall ide is gran tuismo 4 (or prologue).
Old 11-07-04, 01:31 PM   #116
TheTaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3avyM3tal
They are all right.
You have to admit that the racing part in this game is nothing to write home about.
It doesn't even barely scraches the surface of racing. Hell, even the old destruction derby 2 was more racing than this one (dare I say destruction derby 1).

And correct me if I'm wrong, but the only racer out there, which panalizes you for wall ide is gran tuismo 4 (or prologue).
I personally have never been really fond of racing games. They usually bore me to death after a few races.

I don't really see this game as a racing game (simulation-wise). I mean... what simulation let's you take THAT much damage and NOT affect the performance of the car???

For me, the fun is mastering the track (doing pavement track at constant full throttle... even the tight corners)... and "mixing it up" with the other cars.

If you can do the pavement track at full throttle for all 4 laps... that doesn't guarantee 1st place due to different debris on the track, different things the NPC cars do to you directly, and different things the NPC cars do to each other. On the other hand, I've even pulled a 2nd place when being messed up early on and being in 8th place for the first 2 laps or so.

The real reward is... how outrageous is the replay movie after the race (especially since I play in 1st person bumper cam, and can't see a lot of stuff until I watch the replay movie)... even if you end up in 7th place by getting clipped / spunout at the very last moment. So... it's a blast no matter if you win or lose the race.

It's real obvious to me that this game is not intended to be a serious racing simulation. It's sole purpose is road carnage.

Now I gotta figure out the dirt track. Pavement track is easy to master... dirt track is another story. (At least for me).

Regards,

Taz

Last edited by TheTaz; 11-07-04 at 01:46 PM.

Old 11-07-04, 02:55 PM   #117
theultimo
DoD + Sharepoint=Headache

I love this game for the simple fact that its fun. Car damage adds a nice change of pace, and the ragdoll modes are hilarious. Considering this, its hard to pass up on it, even with NFS:U2 leading the OMG RICE charts.
theultimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-04, 05:24 PM   #118
Elvin Presler

Damage DOES affect your car's performance. It gets slower and starts bouncing all over when damaged.

Taking the whole track at full throttle is possible becasue the stupid controls are "hijacked" and the game lets off the throttle for you every time you hit a bump or turn the wheel at all. IT SUCKS! They need to leave the throttle control to me.
Elvin Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-04, 06:52 PM   #119
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitbreaker8
Lets see....

*drive old american cars
*Look what the guy is dressed in
*who else drives on an all dirt track?
*PLAY THE FIRST LEVEL

if thats not redneck, i donno what is. This game just screems country trash. And I know NFS:UG2 screens RICE, but i'd rock a 350Z or Infiniti G35 coupe before I drive an old beater.
Actually the car in the Flatout demo is based on the Australian car, the HX 2 door Monaro... As far as i know, Australia isn't American soil... (just being gradually robbed of our Aussie heritage and being americanised... Damn Wigga's)
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-04, 07:17 PM   #120
TheTaz

Quote:
Damage DOES affect your car's performance. It gets slower and starts bouncing all over when damaged.

Taking the whole track at full throttle is possible becasue the stupid controls are "hijacked" and the game lets off the throttle for you every time you hit a bump or turn the wheel at all. IT SUCKS! They need to leave the throttle control to me.
Sounds like you need to buy a game that's more about racing.

I have fun with it, and I like it the way it is. As for performance being affected as you are smashed up... it's very minimal (Hardly noticeable in 1st person bumpercam view)... and the other cars are mashed up too, by that point... so it doesn't mean a thing.

I just played a race where I was mashed to the point of being a flaming car with 2 major accidents in the first lap. I thought for sure I was going to get like 7th or 8th place... 3 more laps with a flaming shell of car, and I pulled 2nd place. In the replay video 5 out of 8 cars were on fire by the end of the race.

Play it for what it is... an arcade game with lots of carnage. If you want a serious racing simulation... play something that's supposed to be that. /shrug

Taz

Last edited by TheTaz; 11-07-04 at 08:54 PM.