Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-28-02, 02:28 PM   #1
ChrisW
"I was wrong", said Chris

Default CineFX=propaganda???

After a carefull read of the CineFX Archetecture, I have concluded it has nothing to do with hardware at all. It seems that CineFX is nothing more than the software suite that consists of CG and the Exluna software. Therefore, when it says the pictures were produced with CineFX, it is correct, since nVidia just purchased Exluna. I can find nothing in the technical document that states anything to do with the NV30. It seems people are believing the CineFX archetecture it the hardware archetecture of the NV30 graphics card, but I can find no evidence of it. The only thing that even seems to resemble information from the NV30 is the list of default software settings from the CG program.

I can be wrong about the entire thing which is why I ask you to read the CineFX document and tell me your oppinion of my assestment.
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 04:06 PM   #2
Dragon88

A graphics card is nothing without the software to use its features. Just think, when you do a fresh install of windows 98 and dont install the gfx card drivers, your TI4600 performes like a generic PCI card right. Well then you install optimized drivers, and install optimized games to play, and you see what your card can really do. Well the CineFX will be just like the nfiniteFX on GF3/4, it will give programers great flexibility and options when making games for the card. So nvidia may be putting out a lot of "propaganda" on CineFX, all companies do about all their products. But it will be a big feature of the card.
Old 07-28-02, 04:22 PM   #3
PCarr78

but the cinefx whitepaper included some specs for the nv30 (nv3x) compared to the nv2x line
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 08:10 PM   #4
Remi

Good point, ChrisW, but I certainly would not go as far as saying that Cg have nothing to see with hardware... Because in the end, that's on hardware that the code runs. The most important noticeable thing is that it does states nv3x and not nv30, which could be interpreted as something like "hey guys, it will be for nv35 only!". But frankly that just does not make sense, after all those bold quotes from NVidia, to ship a product unable to perform to the level of expectation set by the same company that ships it.

So I do not expect it should be interpreted in that way.

Just my 2 cents however...

Last edited by Remi; 07-29-02 at 06:29 AM.
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 09:20 PM   #5
StealthHawk

obviously nvidia's goal is to make the claim that those pictures can be rendered in real time, i would call it marketing, not propaganda.
Old 07-28-02, 10:22 PM   #6
ChrisW

The point is the Exluna software (a.k.a. CineFX) is designed to product those pictures on most any hardware. Those pictures were not even rendered on nVidia hardware. So, of course the NV30 can render those pictures. So can the GF3, GF4, Radeon 8500, etc.
Old 07-28-02, 10:44 PM   #7
StealthHawk

the gf3/4 can render those pictures in hardware? even if that were so, none of those exluna pictures were hardware accelerated. that is the whole point of nv30. hell even r9700, these new products are supposed to be able to render this stuff in hardware. realtime or not, it will be faster than doing it in software.
Old 07-28-02, 11:47 PM   #8
ChrisW

It would be great if the NV30 can render these images in realtime (1/30 of a second). But who said it would? Certainly not the CineFX Architecture technical document.

Old 07-29-02, 04:37 AM   #9
SurfMonkey
QuadCore G80 PS3 Overload

Location: In a small room surrounded by vast, inscrutable, machines...

It would appear to me that the increased specifications that the CineFX architecture details are more useful to offline rendering than for real time rendering.

I think that nVidia are making a play for the Pixar, Dreamworks market place with a hardware\software combo and thereby getting themselves a toe hold in a $2 billion dollar market. Maybe they want to see the nVidia logo up on the silver screen along with Steven Spielbergs name

Even if you view the CineFX part as being software only then you still have to take into account the hardware that supports it, and at this point in time only the NV3x line seems to have the extended pipeline requirements to do so.

The fact that the pixel shader now contains a limited form of flow control, via NV25 style vertex control, is a pretty interesting addition in itself.

I guess the only way we will actually find out though is by playing around with the NV30 when it arrives.

"Halflife2 got halfway around the world before Gabe had a chance to get his pants on."
Anon
SurfMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-02, 04:56 AM   #10
DIMA

Send a message via ICQ to DIMA
Default Re: CineFX=propaganda???

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
After a carefull read of the CineFX Archetecture, I have concluded it has nothing to do with hardware at all. It seems that CineFX is nothing more than the software suite that consists of CG and the Exluna software. Therefore, when it says the pictures were produced with CineFX, it is correct, since nVidia just purchased Exluna. I can find nothing in the technical document that states anything to do with the NV30. It seems people are believing the CineFX archetecture it the hardware archetecture of the NV30 graphics card, but I can find no evidence of it. The only thing that even seems to resemble information from the NV30 is the list of default software settings from the CG program.

I can be wrong about the entire thing which is why I ask you to read the CineFX document and tell me your oppinion of my assestment.
That must be the LAMEST thing I EVER heard!

If that's not the NV30 architecture that NVIDIA speaks highly of so much, promising REVOLUTIONS, their BIGGEST contribution ever since the company was founded and u think that THE KEY to this is all A LIE?

So what do u think they're using? NV25 architecture perhaps?

I can't belive u can ever consider that!
DIMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-02, 07:58 AM   #11
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

G2 MX could render those pics the only problem is it will be rendering at 0.0000000001fps (No joke)
Old 07-29-02, 08:25 AM   #12
PCarr78

My i815 could do the same... the CPU is doing all the work...
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote