Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-12-04, 01:59 PM   #49
Spikey

Default Re: Black screen with nvidia 6629 driver

Hello All,

I've got a similar problem. It does look like older TNT cards have died. I'm using a [RIVA TNT2 Model 64/64 Pro (Rev 15)] and I have the logo disabled. When I run startx, I see a black screen and a pixel-tall white line in the top left corner of the screen. I hear the start-up sound and it gives me icons and my desktop background (with a hole in the middle where the launching window is normally) and all the forground graphics are gone (like the taskbar, and all the text under the icons). I can click on KDE's start button and it shows a bunch of icons but doesn't draw the menu or the text on the menu.

I believe the problem has to do with the AGP bus because changing the NvAGP option in the XF86Config file gives me different results:

OPTION "NvAGP" "0" <- supposed to disable AGP
OPTION "NvAGP" "1" <- supposed to use NV Internal AGP
OPTION "NvAGP" "2" <- supposed to use AGPGART
OPTION "NvAGP" "3" <- supposed to try AGPGART then fallback to NV Internal

When I run "0" I see more forground stuff but it's still obviously busted. The KDE 3.1 initial launch menu shows up while KDE is loading when the desktop is loaded I see a few of the buttons on the taskbar and if I mouse over the ones that are missing they show up. I can manage to log out with the mouse because the "logout" and "cancel" buttons show up but the dialog box doesn't.

When I run "1" to use internal nvidia AGP, it works like my original description on the top of this message. (Not good, no forgound items or text)

When I run "2" it works like "0" (better but not working).

When I run "3" it works like "1" (not good).

So it seems to be toggling something, anyway I tried the options that someone suggested earlier, the EDID things and the HWMouse, neither of those items toggled the issue. My /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status shows DISABLED as well and I tried loading AGPGART manually and trying to load other AGP items like intel_agp and intel_mch_agp but I had no success trying to get it ENABLED.

Anyone else have any success?

-Spikey
Spikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-04, 03:59 PM   #50
Willski

I'm pretty certain it has to do with pre-NV20 cores, not with AGP, since it's happening on my PCI GeForce4 MX 4000, but eveything is fine on an AGP GeForce FX 5950 connected to the same system.
Willski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-04, 11:02 PM   #51
jhawk

GForce4 MX440 same thing in FC3 | udev fix | /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit |
Options NoLogo NoFlip CursorShadow BusID AGP
Result black ugly screen
jhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-04, 08:18 AM   #52
zhillla

just to say another "me too"
nvidia logo stays, garbles the screen, xfce/kde has broken widgets and redraw...
riva tnt2 pci, slack 10, kernels 2.6.9 and 2.6.9-ck3...
will somebody from nvidia start posting some fixes soon, pleeeeeease?
zhillla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-04, 10:38 AM   #53
Stringer

This message was first posted at "1.0-6629 for Linux x86 released" thread, but i decided to copy it here.

Sorry for my may-be-bad english, but i have same problem and may add some comments on it.

First, i have different kernel images compiled and installed: 2.4.18, 2.4.27, 2.6.9. (Base system - Debian 3.0r2 'woody') Same problem on all of them. They compiled with different configs, and on all of them everything works fine, except of new NVIDIA driver. Old driver (6111) works fine on 2.4.x. New driver compiled fine, but do not work.

Second. I noticed this: when starting X with xinit (without .xinitrc - should show xterm in left-up corner), there is no VISIBLE xterm, but IT IS THERE. If i move mouse to up-left corner, and type some command on keyboard, then press enter, command will be executed! (for example - i can type 'exit' and X closes). Mouse cursor also changes, when it enter this 'invisible' xterm.
Also i noticed this: when doing xinit, few moments after displaying NVIDIA logo, strange artifact apprear in the left-up corner. Just a horizontal line of black points, but with working driver, at this moment xterm shows up.
Looks like X try to draw xterm, but something go wrong.

Future more, when running KDM, background image is shown, but in the place, where login window must be, square part of NVIDIA logo remains. And i can work with this 'invisible' login window, with mouse and keyboard. I can try to login, and can get back to text mode console, pressing Alt-E.

There is other examples like this two. It looks like new driver do not DRAW X windows, but all, except this, works fine.
You may work with them (x windows) by mouse, or by keyboard, you just do not see them. --force-tls trick do not solve this.
As said in one of earlier messages in this thread, it it may be buffer swapping problem.

I hope this comments will help driver developers to solve problem.
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-04, 03:11 PM   #54
tiangha

So I tried re-installing Fedora Core 3 (just in case I did something the last time to muck things up). Ran up2date, installed the NVIDIA drivers, ran startx and the system froze again. Was ssh'ed into it from a remote machine in order to run the nvidia bug report utility but I think the crash locked up my system because I lost my connection and couldn't ssh back into the machine.

So it looks like I can't send the bug report to nvidia. Any other suggestions on what I could send or should I run the bug utility before I startx and just send that?
tiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-04, 05:02 AM   #55
Maria

Wheee! At last!!!

I had exact the same problem as many ohters here, black screen with only a movable mouse pointer after rhgb or gdm start... Tried everything that i could find in this forum - nothing worked, searched the web for days - was about to give up - then i found a patched 6111-driver and now i'm flying with Fedora Core 3 and OpenGL with my nVidia card...

http://ngc891.blogdns.net/kernel/pat...11-jp1.tar.bz2

Source: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...70#post1284570

Hope this this will work for others...

*hugs!*
Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-04, 05:06 AM   #56
maxresch
Geforce FX 5600 XT

Send a message via ICQ to maxresch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria
I had exact the same problem as many ohters here, black screen with only a movable mouse pointer after rhgb or gdm start... Tried everything that i could find in this forum - nothing worked, searched the web for days - was about to give up - then i found a patched 6111-driver and now i'm flying with
We are all reporting problems with the 6629 - Driver of NVidia. Why do you tell us about the 6111 Driver. This Version works - perfectly.

What we would need is help from NVidia with their closed-source drivers. I don't think that this bug is releated to the kernel module.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiangha
However, I have another system (SiS 741GX chipset, Geforce4 MX440 8x) which works perfectly with Fedora Core 3 after using that udev fix. So not every MX440 card is affected. Perhaps the 8x cards are immune?
Well I don't think that the 8x cards are immune because I've got a GeForce 4 440MX 8x AGP and it doesn't work...

By the way, whats the udev fix? (I'm on SuSE, which is also udev based maybe this could help me out)
maxresch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-04, 06:07 AM   #57
tiangha

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxresch
By the way, whats the udev fix? (I'm on SuSE, which is also udev based maybe this could help me out)
It's the one listed here:
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/udev/

It fixes the problem of the nvidia module not being loaded after a reboot.

Quote:
cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices
chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*
tiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-04, 01:02 PM   #58
maxresch
Geforce FX 5600 XT

Send a message via ICQ to maxresch

OK. udev has nothing to do with my/your/our problemes on SuSE. In a few days I'll get the new SuSE version (9.2). There might be some bugfixes in the kernel and user enviroment which could solve this but I don't want to be so optimistic.

I think it's definitly a X-driver bug.
maxresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-04, 02:03 PM   #59
Cadu

Quote:
There are known problems with TNT2 and some GeForce4 440MX cards.
Ok... And where is the known solution?
Cadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-04, 02:06 PM   #60
Cadu

Quote:
I hope this comments will help driver developers to solve problem.
Developers???? hahaha...
Cadu is offline   Reply With Quote