Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-11-04, 11:18 AM   #1
acp

Exclamation glxgears rates low, but games play correctly ?!!

Hello everybody,

while I was playing flighgear I realized that the framerate was horrible (around 10 I think, well that's the number flightgear shows in red in the bottom-right corner). Anyway, I then realized that my CPU usage reached 100% while playing, even though I had the nvidia drivers installed (5336 I think). Anyway I started looking around for a solution and despight all my efforts didn't manage to do a thing !

Now here's the situation today. I have the latest drivers from nvidia installed the debian way (oh, forgot to mention that, running on Debian) with a 2.6.5 kernel. I'm running glxgears (not maximized) and it gives me a rate of 700 which is too low for my Geforce 5200. Flightgear still seems to be running slowly too, BUT I have installed Enemy territory and it worked very flawlessly (CPU usage in each case was 100%).

Having read somewhere that agpgart support wasn't the best solution for 3d acceleration, I tried to compile it as module and did a ' Option "NvAGP" "1" ' in my XFConfig but Debian loads agpgart in the boot process (no 'agpgart' in /etc/modules), so I just simply removed it entirely from my kernel. Now, NVIDIA is used for AGP (confirmed with 'cat /proc/somethinghere/agp/status') but it doesn't fill good to me...

Oh, and I have already checked that the NVIDIA GL and GLcore files were used (ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/glxgears refers to them) and glxinfo says YES on 'Direct Rendering'.

Anyway, everything seems OK but glxgears gives me awfull rates, flightgear is slow and.....Enemy Territory works nicely ?!

Can please someone explain to me what is going on, because there must be something wrong here...

What I would like first of all to solve is the 100% CPU usage, which as I read in this forum was normal but the post dated from 2002, so things might have changed today, right ?

Thanks for your help !
acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-04, 04:58 AM   #2
acp

Default Re: glxgears rates low, but games play correctly ?!!

Does anyone have a clue on how to solve this ? Or at least what may be the cause of it ?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-12-04, 04:59 AM   #3
Lithorus

glxgears is the absolute most useless software for benchmarking...

You will always have games using 100% no matter what. It's just the nature of the software.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-04, 08:50 AM   #4
acp

Oh... Ok, I thought it was somehow the reference since everyone said that if you don't have more than 2000 in glxgears, then you have a problem. Still that doesn't explain why flightgear is slow (knowing that it works very well on windows, so it's not my graphic card who cannot handle it)...
Old 11-13-04, 01:08 PM   #5
acp

So does anyone have any idea ? It would be great to solve this little problem of mine...

Thanks for helping !
Old 03-09-05, 03:17 PM   #6
ragnarol

I have the same problem (same card, same distro...), glxgears didnt give me more than 700 FPS

Did you find the solution acp?
ragnarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 04:14 PM   #7
chunkey
#!/?*

"nvidia-bug-report.sh"'s log would be useful here...
chunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 06:16 PM   #8
ragnarol

Here is the output.

I've seen that X load glx extension fron /usr/X11R6/lib/extensions/libglx.so....

May it be the problem?
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.zip (16.1 KB, 219 views)

Old 03-14-05, 02:14 PM   #9
ragnarol

I've updated to the latest release of the driver and i see a little improvement.

Now it reaches 820 FPS, it is still a bad performance...

Anyone have an answer to this??

Thanks.
Old 03-14-05, 02:23 PM   #10
energyman76b

Hi,

if your ogl apps perf is ok, don't care about glxgears. It is more a CPU bench, than a GPU test
Hm, you have a faster CPU than me, and I have 1300FPS *lookatyourlog* oooooh

I think I have an idea... your second harddrive (hdb) is in SERIOUS trouble, it has to disable dma.. that means PIO, that means, your CPU is hammered at each harddisk access ... while you are playing et, you have most of the stuff in the cache, but when your flight sim needs to load a lot of stuff, it would explain the low rates.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 02:32 PM   #11
energyman76b

Hi,
to be more clear this:
hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown

is either a bad cable or a bad harddrive, or some overclocking/overheating related probs.

hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: DMA disabled
ide0: reset: success

I would replace the cable, download a drive test tool and check the bastards, or, if you don't have a floppy, get smartmontools, activate smart, let the smart tests run, not as good, but if the disk is damaged, it should find something
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 05:20 PM   #12
GermanHulkster

As posted on another thread 800fps at glxgears is pretty good for a cheap 5200 modell(the one with 64bit mem interface), especially if you run at 1280x1024
GermanHulkster is offline   Reply With Quote