Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-12-04, 10:37 AM   #1
berserk80

Exclamation 6629: corrupt screen when exit from X

I have installed with no problem the lastest drivers from nvidia on a Mandrake 10.1 Community. I have a toshiba m30 laptop (GeForceFX Go5200). But all the time i startx and then i exit to console the screen is corrupted, the text is big and unreadable...
Anyone know i can solve the problem?

Thanks

Fabrizio
berserk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 04:25 AM   #2
Sam Soul

Default Re: 6629: corrupt screen when exit from X

I have exactly the same problem with my Mandrake 10.0 community.
But it disappears when I choose linux-nonfb on lilo...
Sam Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 08:45 AM   #3
stalkerg

Yes... in Mandrake 10.1 on MSI GeForceFX 5200 and TFT monitor
I see too...
I install new kernel 2.6.9 but i see this bug again...
stalkerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 12:19 PM   #4
stalkerg

Very good... i del vga=788 on lilo.conf and all work good.
stalkerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-05, 05:26 PM   #5
Jey

Hello,

I up this topic, because I have exactly the same problem than berserk80 (and I looked several topic here without finding the solution), and exactly the same material (a laptop toshiba SM30 with a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 Go). The linux distribution is nearly the same too: a Mandrake 10.1 official. My kernel is 2.6.8.1-12mdk.
I installed the driver 1.0-6629, first normally. Then I tried with the 2 patches NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-6629-1165235.diff.txt and NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-6629-1171869.diff.txt, as seen in a sticky topic here.

But whatever I did, I have those two problems:
1/ I have to load myself the driver by logging in root, then "modprobe nvidia", then startx.
I have seen people saying to add a line "nvidia" in the /etc/modules. I did it, but nothing changed. If anyone could help me to solve this problem, it would be fine.

2/ But the worst problem I have is the one of this topic. Once I launched startx, the consoles become unusable... Or somehow, I could use them, but as a blind guy, because the big caracters fonts are not readable. That's useless, except for writing halt...

Of course, I tried the above solution to modify the /etc/lilo.conf, but in my cas, it changed nothing.

And this is - for me - the most disturbing. Because when you have a problem on your X interface, usually, you switch to a console to solve it. Indeed, I often use many consoles, all the times.
And then I cannot use them anymore; and if X has problem, I am stuck, and has to reboot!!!
Please help me obi Wan Kenobi... ;-)
Jey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 11:40 AM   #6
Arawn

Not a solution, but a work-around perhaps...

Try logging out and back in;
exit <ENTER>
username <ENTER>
password <ENTER>

shouldn't need to see the text to do it, and on my system at least it will restore a usable console on login. a pain in the butt, but better than rebooting.
Arawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 07:54 PM   #7
Jey

Hello,

you say you just log-out and then log-in back? Because I just tried as you said, but this tip doesn't seem to be working on my laptop... unfortunately.

Thanks all the same for the try and if you have other ideas, or if anyone here has a solution, don't hesitate, because this thing is really annoying.
Thanks.
Old 01-07-05, 10:09 AM   #8
Jey

Hi, just to say that I resolved the first problem. Indeed it seems that since kernel 2.5, the file for loading modules at boot is no more /etc/modules but /etc/modprobe.preload. Then now I add the "nvidia" line and this module is launched automatically.

That's nice, but that wasn't my worse problem. So no-one has figured out yet a solution for the weird display issue of the mad tty consoles?

Old 01-09-05, 10:11 PM   #9
Jey

Hi, I finally resolved the tty fonts problem!!! And without meaning it moreover!

I had problems also with OpenOffice fonts: all the menus were nearly unreadable. But at that time, I didn't even think it could be linked to the tty console issue.
And I notice there is no arial font. So I just install a package I found in my rpm database, called msfonts.
And... wonderful! OO is fixed.
I continued all the other stuffs, shut down the computer. the day after, I shut it up, and... the console were fixed too!!!

That was just a missing fonts problems! It is so stupid that I am so proud about finding it (even though I was'nt meaning it uhuh).

This is such a common problem for Mandrake user, that if I was a moderator here, I would nearly think this deserve a sticky.

Anyway, I thought it would be nice to come here and tell it to you. Hope you will all have a fixed display too!
Bye. :-)
Old 01-10-05, 01:42 PM   #10
Schyzo

I can't find this package...

I have the same problem and I am running on Mandrake 10.1 download and a GeForce 4 MX...
Schyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-05, 09:12 AM   #11
Jey

Hi,

you are probably on the 10.1 community, aren't you? I say that because I noticed that my brother (who is on the community too) didn't have this package in his urpmi lists.

So what I suggest you is either to download several font package (use the rpmdrake program and search with the keyword font), and probably one may solve the problem. Or easier maybe, just find this package msfonts elsewhere than on the urpmi lists, for instance on http://rpm.pbone.net, where you will find it without any problem.

P.S.: eh I am so nice, I even looked for you and find the package on pbone. Here is a link:
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat...oarch.rpm.html
Hop it will fix your system too (but as it fixed mine, I am nearly sure it will).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schyzo
I can't find this package...

I have the same problem and I am running on Mandrake 10.1 download and a GeForce 4 MX...
Old 01-11-05, 09:45 AM   #12
Schyzo

In fact, I added the IgnoreEDID option and it seems to fix the option...

Thanks a lot for your effort I will still install the package
Schyzo is offline   Reply With Quote