Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-17-04, 02:03 AM   #25
Groovel76

Default You guys rock!

Thank you so much johnschipper and Carl Brune. Your suggestions worked. Thanks again.

Take Care
Groovel76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 10:54 AM   #26
johnschipper

Default Re: Fix doesn't stick through a reboot (semi-n00b)

Hello Carl,
I've the exact same configuration as yourself except I'm using the VGA connector and a different monitor.
When I try 6629 with the default kernel in FC3 it boots into a black screen and freezes the system. I had to either revert to 2.6.9 kernel or to the 2.6.10-rc2-bk1 kernel to get FC3 on this machine (GX280 1G mem) to work.

Is your 6600 GT a PCIe one?
I'm wondering if you also installed the kernel source for FC3 and 2.6.9-1.667 which I have'nt found a way to do yet (either throught apt or an rpm)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Brune
I also had the problem of the permission not staying permantently set. The suggestion in the readme file didn't help. What you need to do is edit the file:

/etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions

and make the nvidia line look like this:

nvidia*:root:root:0666

The driver works great for me by the way (Dell GX280, 6600GT, HP L2335 monitor via DVI-D, Fedore Core 3, 2.6.9-1.667).
johnschipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 12:15 PM   #27
Carl Brune

Default Re: Fix doesn't stick through a reboot (semi-n00b)

Yes it's a PCIe (evga). One thing I needed to do was update the GX280 bios (to A03) to get the video card to work correctly. I do not have the kernel source installed, I believe one has to download an rpm for that separately now. I tried the vga connection briefly -- it worked (font rendering was wierd) -- but I didn't fool with it since I wanted DVI anyway. Also FWIW I have only tried runlevel 3 (my preference). No experience with other nvidia drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnschipper
Hello Carl,
I've the exact same configuration as yourself except I'm using the VGA connector and a different monitor.
When I try 6629 with the default kernel in FC3 it boots into a black screen and freezes the system. I had to either revert to 2.6.9 kernel or to the 2.6.10-rc2-bk1 kernel to get FC3 on this machine (GX280 1G mem) to work.

Is your 6600 GT a PCIe one?
I'm wondering if you also installed the kernel source for FC3 and 2.6.9-1.667 which I have'nt found a way to do yet (either throught apt or an rpm)?
Carl Brune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 05:58 PM   #28
Cadu

Smile Re: Fedora Core 3 and nVidia drivers - Solution

Quote:
Remember that with as many different systems as there are, NO ONE can make drivers that work on ALL machines. Not nVidia, not ATI, not Microsoft.
And how can Linux kernel developers do a OS that runs ( and runs very well ) in almost ALL machines and architectures? It's so easy: Open ALL the code and let the users free. Free to use, free to hack the code, free to make a good driver that works in almost ALL machines and architectures, like the linux kernel.

I agree with you... Microsoft can't do that, nVidia can't do that and ATI can't do that, BECAUSE their systems aren't free software, and their systems' source-code aren't open.

"'Free software' is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of 'free' as in 'free speech', not as in 'free beer.'"
Cadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-04, 02:57 AM   #29
J.F.
GeForce FX5600

Send a message via AIM to J.F.
Default Re: Fedora Core 3 and nVidia drivers - Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadu
And how can Linux kernel developers do a OS that runs ( and runs very well ) in almost ALL machines and architectures? It's so easy: Open ALL the code and let the users free. Free to use, free to hack the code, free to make a good driver that works in almost ALL machines and architectures, like the linux kernel.

I agree with you... Microsoft can't do that, nVidia can't do that and ATI can't do that, BECAUSE their systems aren't free software, and their systems' source-code aren't open.

"'Free software' is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of 'free' as in 'free speech', not as in 'free beer.'"
Well, even Linux doesn't work on all systems, but it would definitely be better if the nVidia drivers were open source. For example, some people have trouble with the nVidia drivers hanging at random while the open source driver works fine. I don't think that yelling at nVidia and telling them they don't understand Linux will help any. Instead, people should be working towards making things better.

nVidia basically states that they can't provide specs on their cards for open source drivers due to third party licenses that they are required to keep secret. That's understandable. If a third party won't agree to releasing the info, nVidia would have to remove that from their cards to make it open. Given the money invested in making the chips, I don't see that happening. But maybe things could be made a little easier on the driver writers.

My suggestion is to open source everything that can be opened, and make generic libraries for the few things that can't. The libraries would be designed to encapsulate only those functions that can't be disclosed publicly. Sort of a lower level version of what they do right now. Instead of a core that does everything with some open code that ties it to the kernel, you have a few libraries and a lot more open code. Without the libraries, the open source code acts like the "nv" driver. If it finds the libraries, you get accelerated 3D and other stuff.

In the meantime, I would encourage nVidia to keep improving the current drivers so that even more people can use them. We'll never get 100% of systems working, but the more the better. Encourage better drivers, don't rag on about how bad the developers are. That just instills bad feelings which aren't conducive to solving anyone's problems.
J.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-04, 08:31 AM   #30
svu

Question Composite extension

I got some old P3 PC with nVidia TNT2:
nVidia Corporation NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro] (rev 15)

Trying to enable Composite extension, got unstable system - after some period of normal work, X server crashes with Signal 11 and restarts (thanks to gdm). I enabled/disabled dri, I turned HwCursor on/off, switched AGP parameters - same story all the way.

Any hints?
svu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-04, 09:23 AM   #31
Spyke
Foxie

Send a message via AIM to Spyke Send a message via MSN to Spyke Send a message via Yahoo to Spyke
Default Re: Composite extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by svu
I got some old P3 PC with nVidia TNT2:
nVidia Corporation NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro] (rev 15)

Trying to enable Composite extension, got unstable system - after some period of normal work, X server crashes with Signal 11 and restarts (thanks to gdm). I enabled/disabled dri, I turned HwCursor on/off, switched AGP parameters - same story all the way.

Any hints?
Yes, use older drivers since TNT2 is broke in the latest.
12GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Onkyo TX SR-707 | 70" Sharp Aquos LCD | KEF Audio 5.1 C3/C6LCR/C7
Workstation:
Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | GTX 480 @ 800Mhz | Koolance VID-NX480 | Lian-Li V1200B | Corsair HX1000
EK NB ASUS HP | Watercool HeatKiller 3.0 | Feser Extreme X-360 | 2x160GB Intel X25-M SSD RAID0 | 4x2TB WD20EARS RAID10
12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Pioneer DVR-212D | Gentoo Linux
Dell 3008WFP | JohnBlue JB3 | CityPulse DA2.03e II DAC | KingRex T20U w/ Modded Auricaps & PSU | Glow Audio Sub One
Server:
Quad Socket Opteron 8356 (16 cores) @ 2.3GHz | Supermicro H8QMi-2 | Supermicro 2U Chassis | Redundant 1200W PSU
32GB 2GBx16 DDR2-667 ECC | 4x 300GB Cheetah SAS RAID10 | Adaptec 5805 512MB w/BBU | Colocated | Gentoo Linux
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-04, 09:23 AM   #32
jtuggle

Any more info on possible TNT2 issues? The README file had something about making sure the rivafb is never loaded, and I think I have that covered. I'm using FC3 with Kernel 2.6.9-1.667. When I try to use the 6629 release, I get the NVIDIA splash screen, but then something goes wrong with the display. For example, I can log in and see the Fedora Core loading screen, and I know that it does actually load my session, but none of that information is sent to the screen. If I move the mouse, I can see that, but it is not a continuous track -- mouse pointers are left all over the place. I fixed it by ALT-tabbing to the GNOME terminal (which I could not see on screen), and su-ing to do init 3.

For reference, the 6111 driver worked fine with the default kernel in FC2.
jtuggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-04, 09:25 AM   #33
jtuggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuggle
Any more info on possible TNT2 issues? ... I'm using FC3 with Kernel 2.6.9-1.667. When I try to use the 6629 release, I get the NVIDIA splash screen, but then something goes wrong with the display.

For reference, the 6111 driver worked fine with the default kernel in FC2.
Never mind -- just saw the above message. I'll try older ones.
Old 11-19-04, 06:48 PM   #34
skimpydog

<irritated>
WOW!!!

Freakin' amazing!

</irritated>

I just installed my Tainted Kernel Module, and in return my Kernel is tainted.
It didn't even want to boot after the module installation (poor thing... ).
this is on FC3 BTW, to which I do not blame

If I DID NOT have another computer next to me... then what....
...boot to my previous Kernel, and fix it....

THX SOOOOO MUCH for figuring this one out for me!!!!
-=you just took out the grunt work in hacking this out!=- |
_______________________________________________./
--skimp.
http://www.noneother.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucko
Here what I did to fix it:

1) Interrupt Grub from booting, edit the bootparameters with "e"-key, and remove the "rhgb"-parameter from the boot parameters. Then continue booting normally. (This will skip the graphical boot in Fedora.)

2) Fedora complains about not being able to start GDM, ignore it and cancel all questions to get to the login prompt.

3) Login as root, enter "init 3" to go to single-user mode. Enter "modprobe nvidia" to load the nvidia-module.

4) Finally, enter "cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices/" to fix the boot problem.

5) Now just enter "init 5" and you're back in business.
skimpydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-04, 09:29 AM   #35
jtuggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyke
Yes, use older drivers since TNT2 is broke in the latest.
Well, I'm stumped. I've read reports of other people using TNT2 with FC3 saying no problem after doing the udev and modprobe fixes. Mine looks like it almost works, but it freezes on the splash screen, then leaves little cursor "droppings" around the screen as I move the mouse. Any word on what's causing this behavior? The log files aren't complaining.
Old 11-21-04, 03:02 PM   #36
JimiQuakeKorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuggle
Well, I'm stumped. I've read reports of other people using TNT2 with FC3 saying no problem after doing the udev and modprobe fixes. Mine looks like it almost works, but it freezes on the splash screen, then leaves little cursor "droppings" around the screen as I move the mouse. Any word on what's causing this behavior? The log files aren't complaining.
I was unable to get the 6629 drivers to work with my Mandrake 10.1 install and my TNT2 card. Spash screen comes up, then wrongness prevails. I've read in a few other posts that 6629 broke the TNT2 cards.

I tried downgrading to the 6111 driver, but it would not compile with the 2.6 kernel out of the box.

Here's how I got the 6111 driver to compile and install with the Mandrake 2.6 kernel. It may work for you if you want to downgrade to 6111.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...918#post479918
JimiQuakeKorne is offline   Reply With Quote