Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-05-04, 01:08 PM   #49
Spyke
Foxie

Send a message via AIM to Spyke Send a message via MSN to Spyke Send a message via Yahoo to Spyke
Default Re: Fedora Core 3 and nVidia drivers - Solution

The nvidia module does indeed support udev.
All that is needed is to modprobe the nvidia module at bootup.
This copying of device nodes isnt necessary.
12GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Onkyo TX SR-707 | 70" Sharp Aquos LCD | KEF Audio 5.1 C3/C6LCR/C7
Workstation:
Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | GTX 480 @ 800Mhz | Koolance VID-NX480 | Lian-Li V1200B | Corsair HX1000
EK NB ASUS HP | Watercool HeatKiller 3.0 | Feser Extreme X-360 | 2x160GB Intel X25-M SSD RAID0 | 4x2TB WD20EARS RAID10
12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Pioneer DVR-212D | Gentoo Linux
Dell 3008WFP | JohnBlue JB3 | CityPulse DA2.03e II DAC | KingRex T20U w/ Modded Auricaps & PSU | Glow Audio Sub One
Server:
Quad Socket Opteron 8356 (16 cores) @ 2.3GHz | Supermicro H8QMi-2 | Supermicro 2U Chassis | Redundant 1200W PSU
32GB 2GBx16 DDR2-667 ECC | 4x 300GB Cheetah SAS RAID10 | Adaptec 5805 512MB w/BBU | Colocated | Gentoo Linux
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-04, 02:42 AM   #50
warlock_ba

Send a message via ICQ to warlock_ba

Is there any fix for faster 2D graphics on FC3 with 6629? I have very slow2D ... got some faster 2D after using experimental Acceleration. But for what i used leenux before is knda gone. I had a pretty slow pc 533MHz, and my advantage was with the 4xxx drivers that i had very fast 2D => good divx quality, nice framerate. Now, windows SPINS divx in comparation of 0.5 fps on linux (same movie).

PS: Driver installed correctly, GL running.
warlock_ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-04, 11:57 AM   #51
andrus2000

Hi!
I'm install nvidia driver and changing xorg.conf file (nv>nvidia). After restart X , nvidia logo picture dont go is screen.
How i can take to X work with nvidia driver?

Quote:
-> Installing 'NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86' (1.0-6629):
executing: './usr/src/nv/makedevices.sh'...
executing: '/sbin/ldconfig'...
executing: '/sbin/depmod -aq'...
-> done.
-> Driver file installation is complete.
-> Running post-install sanity check:
-> done.
-> Post-install sanity check passed.
-> Shared memory test passed.
-> Running runtime sanity check:
-> done.
-> Runtime sanity check passed.
-> Installation of the NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86
(version: 1.0-6629) is now complete. Please update your XF86Config or
xorg.conf file as appropriate; see the file
/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for details.
andrus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-04, 01:15 PM   #52
lennoni

It looks like nothing starts because the proprietary nvidia kernel module does not install before X starts the nvidia graphics driver.

Try this instead: From a clean install, using whichever version of the drivers you wish (I used 6629)

1. Download the NVIDIA driver
2. edit (as root) /etc/inittab
find the line

id:5:initdefault
and change to
id:3:initdefault

3. edit as root /etc/rc.local
add at the end

/sbin/modprobe nvidia
/sbin/init 5

4. edit as root /boot/grub/grub.conf
change
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
to
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ quiet

5. enter in a console terminal as root
init 3
to shutdown the graphical system

6. as root, in the directory where you downloaded the installer run
sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-????-pkg?.run

or the equivalent x86_64 file (which I have)

7. edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Find Driver "nv"
change to
Driver "nvidia"

I'm using FC3 x86_64 from the DVD install with the 6629 NVIDIA drivers. I've lost the pretty graphical reboot, but it boots every time, and starts X with the NVIDIA drivers installed.

If someone can load the nvidia driver even earlier in the process, the whole thing would probably work with the grapical installer as well.

Hope this helps
lennoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-04, 07:13 PM   #53
Plasmar

what do I do if it replys with cp: cannot stat 'dev/nvidia': No such file or directory when I do the cp part???

I'm thinking this is a small prob... just started linux a couple of days ago

running Fedora core 3 and my video card is geforce 4 440 go'
Plasmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-04, 07:38 PM   #54
megajim

im a new linux user.

just tried for the first time today to install FC3. cannot boot, i have a geforce 5900.

as far as i'm aware, i cannot run the modprobe nvidia command properly as i get the "FATAL: module nvidia not found ..." so i guess that means i have no nvidia drivers?

i looked in my kernel/drivers/video folder and there is no nvidia type files in there.

how is it possible to fix this problem if there are no nvidia drivers on my linux partition? can i burn to a cd and mount that cd..? if so, how?

thanks for any help you might be able to give me,

james
megajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-04, 06:48 PM   #55
pbwest
pbw

Send a message via AIM to pbwest Send a message via MSN to pbwest

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/udev/ has:
<Q>
Current Problems on Fedora
Nvidia

Quick solution: If you do not need rhgb, just load the nvidia module in /etc/rc.local

If you have udev >= 032-5, load the nvidia module:

cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices
chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*

The Bugzilla for this problem is 133900.
</Q>

According to Harald Hoyer, the author of the above web page, there is a chicken-and-egg problem with FC3, udev, and the nvidia drivers.

"The correct way would be to load the module from the X-server part and wait for the device nodes to show up. We expect the next steps from nvidia." (From an email.)

I don't know how nVidia feels about this.
pbwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 11:19 AM   #56
mauro.borghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by morr
Secondly, I have a similar config, though 32 bit. I would be curious to see if you could logout and back in several times after doing the above. I can get the system to work (mostly) the first time I start X with 6629 drivers, but subsequent startups cause the system to hang hard. I am reasonably sure it's related to the 2.6 kernel, but it would be interesting to know if the same behaviour occurred on a 64 bit system.
Similar problem to yours (and similar machine). I'm experiencing system hangs when starting repeatedly the X server (they occur both on start-up and on exits), and when changing video mode (e.g. starting/quitting Tux Racer).

My system is a fresh FC3 install (with up-to-date packages).

Motherboard: Asus P5AD2 Deluxe
Processor: Intel P4 Prescott 3GHz
Gfx-card: NVIDIA GeForce PCX 5750

I already tried to:
- change kernel smp settings
- change various options in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
- use "noapic" boot kernel param

but the only thing I found that makes the system stable... is using the vesa driver. :-(

Ciao,
Mauro.
mauro.borghi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-04, 02:27 AM   #57
Spyke
Foxie

Send a message via AIM to Spyke Send a message via MSN to Spyke Send a message via Yahoo to Spyke

All that is needed for FC3 with udev is to modprobe nvidia in /etc/rc.local.
Entering this command will do just that.
echo "modprobe nvidia" >> /etc/rc.local

By the way, did you ever wonder why the device nodes magically appear when you manually modprobe the nvidia module? Thats because nvidia's module supports udev. This is no different then if you had RTC as a module and something needed RTC and it wasnt loaded, and kmod couldnt load it because /dev/rtc doesnt exist, so you have to cludge a device node there so kmod will auto load the module, but manually loading rtc module will create the node in /dev automatically.

Copying of these device nodes just cludges the device in dev so that when X accesses the /dev node for nvidia, kmod will auto load the module. It isnt necessary, and telling your machine to modprobe nvidia in /etc/rc.local will solve all of your problems. Also delete the rivafb module if it exists.

The main fact is is that this isnt nvidia's problem, nor fedoras.
If you look in slackware's udev create_extra_nodes.sh script, you will notice that patrick added some nvidia nodes to get created at bootup, so kmod can automatically load the module when X requests it. He has the same thing done for alot of different common device nodes since the same issue happens for them too. This is more of a problem with UDEV itself, since kmod is not integrated with it. kmod wont know if you try to find a nonexistant device in /dev. However, the "old" devfs worked in tandem with kmod, and this problem was never a problem. Kmod would probe a module if something looked for it in /dev if the node existed or not. In my opinion, devfs should of been rewrote into a standard structure and setup like UDEV, instead of deprecated. I can go on about many good things getting deprecated for more dumber things, ALSA over OSS being one of them, OSS still has much better sound quality and crispness over ALSA anyday and that probably wont ever change, yet they call OSS depreciated. The guys over at opensound.com arent too happy about the ALSA developers getting their way. But heck, the sound quality in the non-free drivers blows ALSA away anyday, and it just about matches the free OSS drivers in the kernel. Bottom line, just because something newer comes along, it shouldnt ever obsolete perfectly working technology thats in most cases far superior.

Anyhow, This is a simple fix, all Fedora has to do is add the device nodes, or nvidia can load the module at bootup via rc.local, since all distro's seem to have some different UDEV setup structure.
12GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Onkyo TX SR-707 | 70" Sharp Aquos LCD | KEF Audio 5.1 C3/C6LCR/C7
Workstation:
Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | GTX 480 @ 800Mhz | Koolance VID-NX480 | Lian-Li V1200B | Corsair HX1000
EK NB ASUS HP | Watercool HeatKiller 3.0 | Feser Extreme X-360 | 2x160GB Intel X25-M SSD RAID0 | 4x2TB WD20EARS RAID10
12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Pioneer DVR-212D | Gentoo Linux
Dell 3008WFP | JohnBlue JB3 | CityPulse DA2.03e II DAC | KingRex T20U w/ Modded Auricaps & PSU | Glow Audio Sub One
Server:
Quad Socket Opteron 8356 (16 cores) @ 2.3GHz | Supermicro H8QMi-2 | Supermicro 2U Chassis | Redundant 1200W PSU
32GB 2GBx16 DDR2-667 ECC | 4x 300GB Cheetah SAS RAID10 | Adaptec 5805 512MB w/BBU | Colocated | Gentoo Linux

Last edited by Spyke; 12-16-04 at 02:39 AM.
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-04, 08:15 AM   #58
DaviddivaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucko
Here what I did to fix it:

1) Interrupt Grub from booting, edit the bootparameters with "e"-key, and remove the "rhgb"-parameter from the boot parameters. The continue booting normally. (This will skip the graphical boot in Fedora.)

2) Fedora complains about not being able to start GDM, ignore it and cancel all questions to get to the login prompt.

3) Login as root, enter "init 3" to go to single-user mode. Enter "modprobe nvidia" to load the nvidia-module.

4) Finally, enter "cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices/" to fix the boot problem.

5) Now just enter "init 5" and you're back in business.

This solved my problem and now it boots fine. Maybe my experience will help others too?

Fedora Core 3 Amd64 (final release)
Geforce 2MX400
nVidia Amd64 drivers (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-6629)
I did every thing above on a clean Fedora 3 installation. The nvidia driver is working fine now but the system hangs exactly once every two boot procedure at the login prompt.
The problem occurs between the runlevel 1 and 3.
(booting to runlevel 1 works fine everytime, but switching to runlevel 3 (/sbin/init 3) cause the system to hang at the login prompt once every two boot procedure

booting with rhgb to runlevel 5 is the same, works fine only once every two...

Any help would be greatly appreciated
DaviddivaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-04, 06:51 PM   #59
cih

pucko

thanx for your help, you are lovely!!! it finally works on my system!
cih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-04, 09:23 AM   #60
CrossBow

Thanks very much for posting this solution.

I, of course, had this problem after upgrading to FC3 on my dual head GeForce4 machine.

It took me litterally 20 seconds to find this thread and the solution.

1 command, and now everything is working fine.

Compare this to spending 3 hours with tech support who probably does not even speak your language properly. That is what would probably happen if someone had a similar problem with certain more common commercial operating systems.

Linux Rocks ! Fedora Core 3 rocks ! my dual head Shuttle XPC rocks, and most of all -
nVidia Rocks !!!

Thank You nVidia Linux support.
CrossBow is offline   Reply With Quote