Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-22-04, 07:36 AM   #61
DaviddivaD

Default Re: Fedora Core 3 and nVidia drivers - Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddivaD
I did every thing above on a clean Fedora 3 installation. The nvidia driver is working fine now but the system hangs exactly once every two boot procedure at the login prompt.
The problem occurs between the runlevel 1 and 3.
(booting to runlevel 1 works fine everytime, but switching to runlevel 3 (/sbin/init 3) cause the system to hang at the login prompt once every two boot procedure

booting with rhgb to runlevel 5 is the same, works fine only once every two...

Any help would be greatly appreciated
OK, the "once every two boot failure" has nothing to do with the nvidia driver.
see:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=137672
DaviddivaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-04, 09:36 AM   #62
luiscorujo

Default Is there a solution?

I've followed these Steps

1) a) Edit "/etc/inittab" =>

Change the id:5:initdefault to id:3:initdefault .

b) Edit "/etc/X11/Xorg.conf" => Look for the Driver "nv" change it to Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure to have: Load "glx"

Remove the following lines:
Load "dri"
Load "GLcore"

*save the following files*
*Reboot System*

2) Text Mode-Login screen. Login as root.
Change to the directory, where's the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run file located.
Type sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run .

3) No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would you like the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your kernel from the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)? (Answer: No)

4) No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; this means that the installer will need to compile a new kernel interface. (Answer: OK)

5) WARNING: Your kernel was configured to include rivafb support as a loadable kernel module.
The rivafb driver conflicts with the NVIDIA driver; the NVIDIA kernel module will still be built and installed, but be aware that the NVIDIA driver will not be able to function properly if the rivafb module is loaded! (Answer: OK)

6) Wait for the Nvidia to finish the installation!

At the Text-Mode Login Screen.

a) Type modprobe nvidia.
b) Type cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices
c) Type chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*
d) Type reboot

7) At the Text-Mode Login Screen.

a) Type init 5

8) Edit the /etc/inittab => id:3:initdefault to id:5:initdefault

The result was that now, when I reboot, it freezes on the nvidia splash screen, although the mouse icon still moves

My PC Specs
Athlon 2.0
MB: Asus A7N8X-X
Sparkle GeForce 4 MX 440-8x
80Gb (Win XP SP1 and 10Gb partition for fc3)

Any solutions?
luiscorujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-04, 09:37 AM   #63
news_van

Default Stuck Splash Screen >Re: Is there a solution?

After dropping back one version in the driver I got past the stuck splash screen and life is now good.

Thanks everyone for the help!
-----
Linux Display Driver - AMD64
Version: 1.0-6111
---------

Quote:
Originally Posted by luiscorujo
I've followed these Steps

1) a) Edit "/etc/inittab" =>

Change the id:5:initdefault to id:3:initdefault .

b) Edit "/etc/X11/Xorg.conf" => Look for the Driver "nv" change it to Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure to have: Load "glx"

Remove the following lines:
Load "dri"
Load "GLcore"

*save the following files*
*Reboot System*

2) Text Mode-Login screen. Login as root.
Change to the directory, where's the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run file located.
Type sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run .

3) No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would you like the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your kernel from the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)? (Answer: No)

4) No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; this means that the installer will need to compile a new kernel interface. (Answer: OK)

5) WARNING: Your kernel was configured to include rivafb support as a loadable kernel module.
The rivafb driver conflicts with the NVIDIA driver; the NVIDIA kernel module will still be built and installed, but be aware that the NVIDIA driver will not be able to function properly if the rivafb module is loaded! (Answer: OK)

6) Wait for the Nvidia to finish the installation!

At the Text-Mode Login Screen.

a) Type modprobe nvidia.
b) Type cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices
c) Type chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*
d) Type reboot

7) At the Text-Mode Login Screen.

a) Type init 5

8) Edit the /etc/inittab => id:3:initdefault to id:5:initdefault

The result was that now, when I reboot, it freezes on the nvidia splash screen, although the mouse icon still moves

My PC Specs
Athlon 2.0
MB: Asus A7N8X-X
Sparkle GeForce 4 MX 440-8x
80Gb (Win XP SP1 and 10Gb partition for fc3)

Any solutions?
news_van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-05, 02:46 PM   #64
TomSolo

Hello!
I have read the whole topic and I still need your help.

I have Riva TNT2. I have recently installed Fedora Core 3 with 2.6.9-1.667 kernel.
I have installed 6629 drivers made the neccesary changes and as it's said in many places of this topic NVidia splash screen stays and is not refreshed. Then I tried with 6111 drivers but they just won't install. I have tried the patch that's mentioned in the topic for Mandrake 10.1 (?) and it did not help either.

All I get from 6111 is this:

Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This is most likely because the kernel module was built using the wrong kernel source files. Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your kernel; on RedHat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the kernel-source rpm installed. If you know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the '--kernel-souerce-path' command line option.
[OK]

I have downloaded and installed the 2.6.9 kernel src rpm and when I specify a path to that it still says I have wrong kernel source version.

Please, help!
TomSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 12:47 PM   #65
kabob

Tom, I had the same problem on Fedora Core 3 (same error message when trying slightly older drivers than the 6629.) I've even recompiled a new kernel (currently using 2.6.10 latest stable from http://kernel.org ) to to avail.

It was not until I used the 6629 drivers AND followed Carl Brunes post ( http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...t=40622&page=2 ) did things work. I highly suggest checking his post and trying that after explictly following these install instructions located at http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mj...3.shtml#nvidia , if your sure the drivers are installed properly, then try what Carl suggests.

After I followed the advice from mjmwired.net and THEN followed the advice from Carl, then and only then did everything work as expected.

I hope this helps.

ps. I can still produce the same error (though I have no need to use other drivers as the 6629's finally work. Thanks to mjmwired.net and Carl =)
kabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-05, 12:48 PM   #66
Darkelve

Hi,

on the Cedega IRC channel, I reported my card (Geforce MX440) and they said I have to install this patch (or otherwise performance would be 3x slower):

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=477802

Now is this patch only if you use Cedega, or does it directly affect 3D performance? I get a performance in Glxgears of 1848 FPS on average. Is this normal?

If I have to patch it, then I'm not sure how to patch, since I used the Fedora RPM file and not the manual nVidia installer. If I do not have to patch, so much the better, but I would appreciate to know this.

Fedora Core is sweet...

Darkelve
Darkelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-05, 11:01 AM   #67
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucko
So I just installed Fedora Core 3 plus the nVidia drivers on my Amd64, and the result was a system that hang on "Configuring kernel parameters.

Here what I did to fix it:

1) Interrupt Grub from booting, edit the bootparameters with "e"-key, and remove the "rhgb"-parameter from the boot parameters. The continue booting normally. (This will skip the graphical boot in Fedora.)

2) Fedora complains about not being able to start GDM, ignore it and cancel all questions to get to the login prompt.

3) Login as root, enter "init 3" to go to single-user mode. Enter "modprobe nvidia" to load the nvidia-module.

4) Finally, enter "cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices/" to fix the boot problem.

5) Now just enter "init 5" and you're back in business.

This solved my problem and now it boots fine. Maybe my experience will help others too?

Fedora Core 3 Amd64 (final release)
Geforce 2MX400
nVidia Amd64 drivers (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-6629)
Thanks, worked like a charm

Mild agnosticism —the view that the existence or nonexistence of God or gods is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if more evidence is available. A weak agnostic would say "I don't know, but maybe you do."
Daneel Olivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-05, 01:13 PM   #68
Luca Lavorante

Hi, has anybody solved the freezed splash screen problem with Fedora Core 3, the 2.6.10 kernel and the 6629 nvidia driver?
My graphic card is a GeForce2 MX 440-SE and even installing the patches for this driver (hinted in the driver release thread), the nvidia spash screen never goes out.
Thanks for any help

Luca
Luca Lavorante is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-05, 03:37 AM   #69
v1ctorong

yo, it solve the problem, and i think NVIDIA installation document should log this as official installation path, coz i am using AMD XP, GF4Ti. the above solution also applicable to GF4MX, GF FX for variuos processor in FC3
v1ctorong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-05, 07:47 AM   #70
knpguy2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lavorante
Hi, has anybody solved the freezed splash screen problem with Fedora Core 3, the 2.6.10 kernel and the 6629 nvidia driver?
My graphic card is a GeForce2 MX 440-SE and even installing the patches for this driver (hinted in the driver release thread), the nvidia spash screen never goes out.
Thanks for any help

Luca
My configuration is Fedora Core 3, installed kernel 2.6.10, graphics card GeForce MX 4000. I got splash screen/ black screen freeze too when I installed patched 6629 driver mentioned in this thread. I moved down to kernel 2.6.9, didin't help.

So finally I used a patched driver 6111 (which can be found here: http://ngc891.blogdns.net/index.php?...nvidia-drivers) on kernel 2.6.9. And wallah, everything is working fine now...one thing to note, the patched driver 6111 (it is patched for "error loading nvidia.ko module" error) does not work for 2.6.10. "nvidia.ko" error still remains on 2.6.10 for this patched driver. Hope they fix the pathced 6111 for 2.6.10.

- knpguy2004
knpguy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-05, 06:33 PM   #71
frakka

Hi guys! First post for me here, sorry for my english....

Great work pucko! You solution works fine.
I'm 100% newbie. Please, would you like to explain me what that fix do??

What I did using
Quote:
cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices/
???
frakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-05, 06:37 AM   #72
AlxMAX

frakka: /dev/nvidia0, ..., /dev/nvidia7 and /dev/nvidiactl are special character files used by the nvidia kernel drivers. When you reboot after installing the nvidia drivers, those files are lost because the /dev file system is created dynamically. The command cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices/ copies those files in the configuration path of udev, which helps you restore the nvidia special character files.