Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-05-05, 05:56 PM   #85
nicku

Default Re: Fix doesn't stick through a reboot (semi-n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovel76
INext,
you will need to reset the permissions on the device files back
to their original permissions and owner. You can do that with the
following commands:
chmod 0666 /dev/nvidia* chown root /dev/nvidia*

Now I did the chmod and chown and OpenGL works fine after that but after a reboot I just get the error message again. I'll run

chmod 0666 /dev/nvidia* chown root /dev/nvidia*

again and everything works but if I reboot......I think you get the picture.

What can I do to make those privilege/ownership changes permanent?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Assuming you are running Fedora Core 3, just edit the file /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions and change the line
nvidia*:root:root:0660
to:
nvidia*:root:root:0666
Note: I am not recommending that you need to do this. I am only suggesting this as a solution to your particular problem.
nicku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-05, 04:28 PM   #86
evilyakult

Default Re: Fedora Core 3 and nVidia drivers - Solution

I don't know if this is the right thread to post in, but my problem is with the x86 NFORCE drivers. Given I am completely new to linux, I mean COMPLETELY new, but I have followed the install instructions to the letter but it will not install on my machine.

"No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; this means
that the installer will need to compile a new kernel interface"

Then I proceed, then:

"ERROR: The NVIDIA kernel module was not created."

Can anyone help, I'm really stuck and everyone I know that uses Linux is as useless as me.

AMD64 3000+
DFI Lanboy NFORCE3 MotherBoard
1024mb DDR 400
geforceFX5900xt 128mb
120gb SEAGATE IDE HDD
FedoraCore3 - 32bit, all updated to time of this post SUN 6th Feb 22:28

Thankyou
evilyakult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 06:37 AM   #87
sandgroper

Default Re: Fix doesn't stick through a reboot (semi-n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicku
Assuming you are running Fedora Core 3, just edit the file /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions and change the line
nvidia*:root:root:0660
to:
nvidia*:root:root:0666
Note: I am not recommending that you need to do this. I am only suggesting this as a solution to your particular problem.
Thank you , Thank you , very much !!!!!!!!!!!
You have solved a problem that I had and NOBODY else could do in all of the forums and Ngs that I had posted my problem to.

My problem was that I installed the 6629 drivers on FC3 and everything worked fine except I couldn't get the OpenGl screensavers and 2 games , Tux Racer and Chromium to work in user mode .

Following your suggestion , I changed the permissions in /etc/udev/permissions.d from
nvidia* : root:root:0660
To
nvidia* :root:root:0666

Then I rebooted the system and eveything works great , all of the OpenGL screensavers and the 2 games work in user mode.

Once again , THANKS !

)
Old 02-07-05, 07:30 PM   #88
Aadain

Here is what I found: apparently ACPI is no longer automatically routing IRQ interrupts (why, I have no idea), and that is causing the problem with the nvidia drivers. To fix this, add the following to the boot line in your menu.lst for grub: pci=routeirq
reboot and everything should work just fine.
Aadain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-05, 11:10 AM   #89
gatzke

I tried

cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices/

nv to nvidia in xorg.conf

chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*

init 3 pci=routeirq as a kernel options when booting

And I am still stuck at the Nvidia screen with FC3 and 2.6.9 kernel

Any thoughts? I may just do a complete rework in case I fouled up something along the way.

How did FC3 get released with this kind of serious problem?

Ed
gatzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-05, 03:59 PM   #90
c2483

I followed these instructions too.
1) a) Edit "/etc/inittab" =>

Change the id:5:initdefault to id:3:initdefault .

b) Edit "/etc/X11/Xorg.conf" => Look for the Driver "nv" change it to Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure to have: Load "glx"

Remove the following lines:
Load "dri"
Load "GLcore"

*save the following files*
*Reboot System*

2) Text Mode-Login screen. Login as root.
Change to the directory, where's the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run file located.
Type sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run .

3) No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would you like the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your kernel from the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)? (Answer: No)

4) No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; this means that the installer will need to compile a new kernel interface. (Answer: OK)

5) WARNING: Your kernel was configured to include rivafb support as a loadable kernel module.
The rivafb driver conflicts with the NVIDIA driver; the NVIDIA kernel module will still be built and installed, but be aware that the NVIDIA driver will not be able to function properly if the rivafb module is loaded! (Answer: OK)

6) Wait for the Nvidia to finish the installation!

At the Text-Mode Login Screen.

a) Type modprobe nvidia.
b) Type cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices
c) Type chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*
d) Type reboot

7) At the Text-Mode Login Screen.

a) Type init 5

8) Edit the /etc/inittab => id:3:initdefault to id:5:initdefault

I have a geforce 6800. From what I can tell, it is working. glxgears went from 500 to 9000.
glxinfo says some stuff about nvidia corporation. However, I just tried to install foobillard but it said it require libGLcore.so.1. Any ideas?
c2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 10:37 AM   #91
Naraki

Send a message via MSN to Naraki

Bah ya all could have looked on the fedora news site .....

http://fedoranews.org/contributors/s...3_note/#nVidia

this details the install for the Nv drivers for FC3

l8r
Old 02-14-05, 11:49 AM   #92
stulluk

Default TNT2 + Fedora Core 3 + nVidia drivers

Hello. My first offer for those people who are using mandrake 10.0 community to use 53.36 driver instead of the last one.
I have been trying for months to solve the issues with TNT2 and nvidia drivers on linux distributions. I have been succesful with mandrake 10.0 community with the explanation above.
I have did everything what was written both on this forum and also everywhere on the net; I was not be able to success to build a working configuration with the nvidia drivers with FC3 and TNT2 for around 3 months.
The trick for using nvidia driver on mandrake 10.0 was to edit modprobe.preload file; but similar approaches for FC3 never success for TNT2 cards. I also tried to edit "Makefile" file in /usr/src/nv/ folder, it allways refuses what I did. For example, the nvidia-installer utility does not use the correct headers in the kernel-source package. ( If you dont believe me, please check two log files /var/log/nvidia-installer.log in both FC3 and Mandrake distros...)
I will be waiting for nvidia to fix those all problems with TNT2 because I think there are too many people who are still using old TNT2 cards...
stulluk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-05, 02:12 PM   #93
FocusedWolf

Default Re: TNT2 + Fedora Core 3 + nVidia drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulluk
Hello. My first offer for those people who are using mandrake 10.0 community to use 53.36 driver instead of the last one.
I have been trying for months to solve the issues with TNT2 and nvidia drivers on linux distributions. I have been succesful with mandrake 10.0 community with the explanation above.
I have did everything what was written both on this forum and also everywhere on the net; I was not be able to success to build a working configuration with the nvidia drivers with FC3 and TNT2 for around 3 months.
The trick for using nvidia driver on mandrake 10.0 was to edit modprobe.preload file; but similar approaches for FC3 never success for TNT2 cards. I also tried to edit "Makefile" file in /usr/src/nv/ folder, it allways refuses what I did. For example, the nvidia-installer utility does not use the correct headers in the kernel-source package. ( If you dont believe me, please check two log files /var/log/nvidia-installer.log in both FC3 and Mandrake distros...)
I will be waiting for nvidia to fix those all problems with TNT2 because I think there are too many people who are still using old TNT2 cards...
If Nvidia would like to send me a new card to replace my TNT, that would be ok to
FocusedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 08:03 PM   #94
PTrenholme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naraki
Bah ya all could have looked on the fedora news site .....

http://fedoranews.org/contributors/s...3_note/#nVidia

this details the install for the Nv drivers for FC3

l8r
Well, yes. But -- at least for me -- that doesn't work. Everything goes fine through the driver compilation. (Only the "rivafb" warning, no other errors.) But, when I reboot, startx reports that it is unable to load the NVIDIA modules.

The error message does not give a reason, and the nVidia "README" is not too helpfull.

I've got an old nVidia GeForce2 MX/MX400, running on Fedora 2.6.10-1.766_FC3smp 3GHz system.

Works fine with the "nv" driver, but I wanted to see if it would be any better with the "official" driver.

So, any suggestions as to why the dirver won't load?

By the way, the XConf log file notes that the glx vendor is now NVIDIA, so that much seems to have worked.
PTrenholme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 08:52 AM   #95
PTrenholme

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTrenholme
Well, yes. But -- at least for me -- that doesn't work. Everything goes fine through the driver compilation. (Only the "rivafb" warning, no other errors.) But, when I reboot, startx reports that it is unable to load the NVIDIA modules.
Opps! I DIDN'T follow the instructions. The "modprobe nvidida" in rc.local for the first restart is key. (I spelled it "modprob," and that doesn't work!)

Anyhow, I've got the drivers working now.

Some suggestions:
1) Instead of changing the /boot/grub/grub.conf boot option, duplicate it as a second block, and make the changes there. Then you can yse the load option to select the boot you want. (Handy for other booting problems, too.)
2) Unless you're familiar with "gedit," using "emacs" may be easier since it gives you a (somewhat) WYSIWYG and mouse interface -- even in "terminal" mode.
PTrenholme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 01:04 PM   #96
lcbruzer
LCB

My FC3 machine with nVidia graphics locks up constantly in normal use.
It installed fine with the excellent instructions I got here.
I have read and tried everything in this thread to no avail.

The problem is that about 90% of the time the entire machine locks up.
No mouse, keyboard, network, nothing. Have to hard reboot with button. Cannot ping it.
The other 10% the session crashes (I assume X crashes) and I'm back to the login screen.
I have looked at /var/log/messages and Xorg.0.log.old - nothing there.
I've read the nVidia readme and made certain that turbo AGP mode is disabled in the BIOS, etc.

When it stays running, the video works very well.
I have the latest nVidia drivers (6629).
I sent a help request to the nvidia linux support with all the requested data 2 weeks ago (they provide a tool which queries your system for all the parameters they need) but have gotten no response.

BTW, anyone who uses the "pci-routeirq" fix should follow the dmesg-based feedback request (it didn't help me):
Feb 17 11:17:10 fryspc kernel: usbcore: registered new driver hub
Feb 17 11:17:10 fryspc kernel: PCI: Using ACPI for IRQ routing
Feb 17 11:17:10 fryspc kernel: ** Routing PCI interrupts for all devices because "pci=routeirq"
Feb 17 11:17:10 fryspc kernel: ** was specified. If this was required to make a driver work,
Feb 17 11:17:10 fryspc kernel: ** please email the output of "lspci" to bjorn.helgaas@hp.com
Feb 17 11:17:10 fryspc kernel: ** so I can fix the driver.

I'm wondering if I have a hardware issue, although I didn't have troubles with the previous RH08 load.
Also - I guess I cannot be 100% certain this is a graphics/driver/hardware issue without better log messages,
however the occasional X crash leads me to believe it is potentially the problem.

It doesn't seem to take a heavy graphics load to make it happen.
I'm not sure how to proceed; any help would be appreciated.

System:
2.6.10-1.737_FC3 #1 Mon Jan 10 13:50:10 EST 2005 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
512 MB RAM.

nVidia nodule:
NVRM: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module 1.0-6629 Wed Nov 3 13:12:51 PST 2004

ALi1647 chipset - nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev a1)

Next step is to increase the X logging to level 5.
This post is already long so I'll stop now and see if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks!
lcbruzer is offline   Reply With Quote