Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-17-04, 01:48 AM   #109
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: *** Official Half-LifeČ Feedback Thread!!! ***

all i can say is wow. this game is something else.

hey saturn.. i am gonna feel dumb with the answer, but how do i enable offline mode? i havent seen a box for it... but then again, to register my cd key, it was a little box at the bottom of a screen..
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 02:20 AM   #110
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

All you have to do basically is disconnect yourself from the Internet. I disable my connection from the network control panel in Windows. Then launch Steam, it will bitch at you for not having a connection and then it will ask if you want to go offline. It's a stupid way to do it, but it works.

Also, on a larf I installed the official 4.11 Catalysts and they seem to have smoothed everything out (so far). I was using the beta 4.12 set ATI released that was supposed to contain optimizations for HL2. Fat lot of good those did. So anyone having stuttering problems who's using the 4.12 drivers, drop back and you should be good to go. I should have time to do some more testing later this morning.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 02:30 AM   #111
netviper13
Treehugger

Sweet thanks for the tip, Sat. I had just installed the 4.12s tonight before installing the game.

As for my impressions of the game? Bloody amazing! I played for 4 hours straight tonight and it felt like about 30 minutes. The run-and-gun scenes really had me on the edge of my seat, and the insanely realistic physics and great graphics make the game very immersive. A+ for the soundtrack as well, it definitely rocks.

Overall I would give this game about a 9.8/10, and it is easily the most impressive game I have played.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 03:04 AM   #112
bkswaney
Mr. Extreme!

Send a message via Yahoo to bkswaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
All you have to do basically is disconnect yourself from the Internet. I disable my connection from the network control panel in Windows. Then launch Steam, it will bitch at you for not having a connection and then it will ask if you want to go offline. It's a stupid way to do it, but it works.

Also, on a larf I installed the official 4.11 Catalysts and they seem to have smoothed everything out (so far). I was using the beta 4.12 set ATI released that was supposed to contain optimizations for HL2. Fat lot of good those did. So anyone having stuttering problems who's using the 4.12 drivers, drop back and you should be good to go. I should have time to do some more testing later this morning.

I would be pissed if I had a X800 and it stuttered in HL2.
After all ati and valve are such big buddies and all.
I'm very happy with the way my 6800 runs it.
No stutter or nothing. It runs smooth as glass on my rig.

Hope u get your problem ironed out.
ATI should after all have the best drivers
for the game. They had access before anyone else did.

I just want to see nvidia give us a performance boost via drivers
in d3d games. I would like to see it on par with there OGL performance.
15.6 inch HD WideScreen
Nvidia 8200M-G 895mb
2Gig system ram
250Gig SATA 5400rpm HDrive
Vista Premium
bkswaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 03:16 AM   #113
Bopple

Hmm, some say that it has some sound precaching problems, and that it causes the stuttering. And no obvious solution.
And not vga specific, afaik.

PS) Some say that decreasing texture level and sound acceleration, would lessen the stuttering.

Last edited by Bopple; 11-17-04 at 03:56 AM.
Bopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 03:56 AM   #114
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netviper13
Sweet thanks for the tip, Sat. I had just installed the 4.12s tonight before installing the game.

As for my impressions of the game? Bloody amazing! I played for 4 hours straight tonight and it felt like about 30 minutes. The run-and-gun scenes really had me on the edge of my seat, and the insanely realistic physics and great graphics make the game very immersive. A+ for the soundtrack as well, it definitely rocks.

Overall I would give this game about a 9.8/10, and it is easily the most impressive game I have played.
Definative overview
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 04:55 AM   #115
YOGIx213

Got everything maxed out and was pleasantly surprised with the great performance. This game is beautiful. Especially the outdoor scenery. It kind of has the creepy feel to it like the movie "28 Days Later." Only problem I have is the same motion sickness I got from Half Life 1 (lol).

Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
Intel E6750 @ 3.2
Asus P5N-E SLI Mobo
Kingston 2gb DDR2 pc6400Dual Channel Kit
Maxtor 500gb SATAII hd
eVGA 8800 GT 512mb (700/1750/955)
(Stock Air Fan)

3dMark 2006 Score: 12301
http://bf2s.com/player/yogix213/
YOGIx213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 04:57 AM   #116
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Well I just got to Ravenholm and this game is awesome

Havent really been blown away yet, but its deffinitely one of the best single player FPSs ive ever played so far. The air boat thing was really frustrating before they mounted a gun on it. Thats the only thing holding me back from calling this the best game I have ever played.

And the performance is kind of odd for me. Its probably my CPU but, I started at 1600x1200 8xAF (driver setting) and it usually ran fine, but some times it just chugs so bad. I lowered it to 1280x960 and still get severe framerate drops in some scenes.

Id like to see some benchmarks of this game compairing various CPUs.

The graphics are absolutely amazing. There isnt a single thing I can complain about. I cant believe everyone made such a big deal about dynamic shadows and how this game lacks them. It looks so real, I cant believe it some times. It almost doesnt feel very exciting to look at because it seems like im looking out a damned window some times. The water especially adds to this.

So far:
graphics 10\10
sound 10\10
gameplay 9\10 (the difficulty of the air boat scene is holding it back here)
atmosphere 10\10

I need sleep... i was playing this game for like 4 hours straight or more. So far its better than I thought it would be
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-04, 05:12 AM   #117
Superfly
Retired

@ Saturn

In order to enter the following cheats you will have to activate the console by modifying game shortcut. Right-click on the Half-Life 2 icon on your desktop, select Properties and a new screen should pop up. Add the " -console" parameter (without the quotes) at the end of the target field so it looks similar to this:

"C:Program FilesHalf-Life 2hl2.exe" -console

Click Apply to save the changes and run the game using that shortcut. Now, use the [~] key while playing to bring up the console and enter the following codes there:

god - God mode (server side only)
give - Gives a weapon or an item (see the list below)
buddha - Reduces your health
hurtme # - Hurts the player (# is damage amount)
impulse 101- All weapons
impulse 82 - Spawns a jeep
notarget - Player becomes hidden to NPCs
noclip - Walk through walls (server side only)
maps - Displays map list
map - Load a specified map (see the list below)
developer # - Sets developer mode to on/off/verbose (0-off, 1-on, 2-verbose)
+mlook - Enables mouse look
hud_quickhelp/text? 1 - Shows crosshair
viewmodel_fov # - Sets the size of the weapon you're carrying (54 is default)
exec - Execute a script file
cl_drawhud 1 - Turns hud display on
cl_enablehud 1 - Turns hud display on
cl_showfps 1 - Shows frames per second in game
npc_create - Creates an NPC (works in worlds that have an NPC entity)
npc_create_aimed - Creates an NPC aiming away from the player.
picker - Toggles 'picker' mode.
setpos - Move player to specified origin (must have sv_cheats 1 enabled).
setang - Snap player eyes to specified pitch yaw (musthave sv_cheats).
sv_gravity # - Set gravity to #
sv_stopspeed # - Set minimum stopping speed when on ground to #
sv_friction # - Sets world friction to #
sv_bounce # - Sets bounce multiplier for physically simulated objects collision
sv_maxvelocity # - Sets the maximum velocity of any moving object to #
sv_waterdist # - Sets vertical view fixup when eyes are near water plane to #
air_density # - Changes the density of air to #
dsp_explosion_effect_duration # - Sets length of confusion/ear-ringing effect to #
prop_debug - Toggle bounding-boxes debug mode on/off (red - ignore damage, white - respond to damage, green - health)
sv_soundemitter_filecheck - Toggle reporting missing .wav files for sounds
mat_numtextureunits # - Limits the number of texture units to # (0 - let the game decide how many texture units to use)
mat_yuv 0 - ?

Map Names:
d1_canals_01, d1_canals_02, d1_canals_end, d1_tempanals_02, d1_town_01, d1_town_02, d1_town_03, d1_town_04, d1_town_05, d1_trainstation_01, d1_trainstation_02, d1_trainstation_03, d1_trainstation_05, d1_under_01, d1_under_02, d1_under_03, d1_under_04, d2_coast_01, d2_coast_02, d2_coast_03, d2_coast_04, d2_coast_04_dx60, d2_coast_05, d2_coast_06, d2_coast_07, d2_coast_08, d2_prison_01, d2_prison_02, d2_prison_03, d2_prison_04, d2_prison_05, d3_c17_03, d3_c17_04, d3_c17_05, d3_c17_06a, d3_c17_06b, d3_c17_07

Weapon Names:
weapon_alyxgun, weapon_ar1, weapon_ar2, weapon_bugbait, weapon_cguard, weapon_crowbar, weapon_extinguisher, weapon_flaregun, weapon_frag, weapon_gauss, weapon_hopwire, weapon_iceaxe, weapon_physcannon, weapon_physgun, weapon_pistol, weapon_rpg, weapon_shotgun, weapon_smg1, weapon_smg2, weapon_stickylauncher, weapon_stunstick, weapon_thumper, weapon_sniperrifle, weapon_rollerwand, weapon_molotov, weapon_manhack, weapon_immolator, weapon_irifle, weapon_slam, weapon_hmg1, weapon_cubemap, weapon_binoculars, weapon_ml, weapon_brickbat

Item names:
item_box_buckshot, item_box_mrounds, item_box_sniper_rounds, item_box_srounds, item_healthkit, item_battery, item_suit, item_ml_grenade, item_ar2_grenade, item_healthvial

More Cheats
Command-line parameters
Here's the list of other command-line parameters. Note that you can use any of the codes listed above as command-line parameter... just put " -" in front of it:

-r_anamorphic 0
-netgraph 3
-mat_preloadshaders
-preload
-console
-dx9
-fullscreen
-width 1024 -height 768
-heapsize 80000
-dxlevel 90
-shaderdll shader_nvfx_ps20.dll
-mouselook
-dx8
-condebug
-sw
-startwindowed
-window
-windowed
Old 11-17-04, 07:10 AM   #118
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

one thing that is odd.. everything is shiney. i was near a table and the lighting was correct, it just seemned odd that developers wanted a table to shine. but, oh well, that game is crazy cool!
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 07:48 AM   #119
Warden13

Dam. Stuck in Ravenholm. ANyone know where to go/what to do after you get the Shotgun?

Thanks
Warden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 08:16 AM   #120
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
gameplay 9\10 (the difficulty of the air boat scene is holding it back here)
I wouldn't classify the air boat level as difficult, but rather as the level itself being far too lengthy. I will say, however, the puzzles involved are nothing short of spectacular. They're just tough enough to where once you think you're getting frustrated you figure out the solution.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote