Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-17-04, 08:27 AM   #121
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: *** Official Half-LifeČ Feedback Thread!!! ***

Here are some screenies I took. I forgot about running Fraps but I'm getting no less than 60 FPS! Sweetness!!!

Sorry if the last one is too dark. I was using the crossbow and I hung a guy on the wall lol. That was frickin awesome. HL2 is just simply amazing.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 09:22 AM   #122
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
They're just tough enough to where once you think you're getting frustrated you figure out the solution.
Yeah, tru dat, they have a knack of reaching the point where your finger goes for the Esc key, but gets thwarted by a sudden realisation.
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 09:30 AM   #123
Vash
Angel Arms

Played about 30 minutes last night and I'm freaking hooked. This is a game where you can actually see every bloody minute of time the developer spent on it. The story and interaction is spot on thus far, and I don't think I've seen a game that looks better, or is as immersive. It runs like butter at 1024x768 with max details (no AF or AA for this 9500 user) and looks unbelieveable.

Only two problems with it: the load times between segments take too long (30-40 seconds), and occasionally, Alyx has an expression on her face that makes her look like she's 85. Other than that, a slight bit of stuttering, but nothing major.

Awesome.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 09:35 AM   #124
PSYCHODAD
cereal killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaahhh52-SoV-
anybody tried this on a 5950? i want to get this but i dont know how its gonna run, and isnt it supposed to be forced to directx8 on fx's? bah
Runs smooth on my sons 5950u, but doesn't look as good as the 6800 IMO.
System #1
CPU INTEL|3rd gen I-7@3.7ghz
16gb memory Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
PSU Siverstone Zeus 850w
EVGA 660gtx
Logitech G400 gaming mouse
Dell 2407WFP 24" lcd

Video Games -- Why waste good technology on science and medicine?
PSYCHODAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 10:54 AM   #125
pinsnpies

Talking Re: *** Official Half-LifeČ Feedback Thread!!! ***

where is our instruction manual. for gods sake valve don't even include a readme for problems just a pathetic little card with the controls. now thats just

but the best bit for me so far was getting into your suit for the first time and hearing the valve theme tune. sex to my ears

The majority of people on the rage3d boards are Idiots

HL2 is about looking like a real world, not some alien world where the leafs are too bright, water too blue, and pipes too shiny. HL2 is like a hot chick who's a natural beauty, whereas Farcry is like some chick with too much makeup, and Doom 3 is some goth chick... there might be a hot chick under all that makeup, but you'll never know for sure.
pinsnpies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 11:11 AM   #126
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinsnpies
where is our instruction manual. for gods sake valve don't even include a readme for problems just a pathetic little card with the controls. now thats just

but the best bit for me so far was getting into your suit for the first time and hearing the valve theme tune. sex to my ears
I agree about the manual...and the "hint book" included with the CE should've been called the LOTS OF SPOILERS WITH NO WARNING book.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 11:21 AM   #127
pinsnpies

Talking Re: *** Official Half-LifeČ Feedback Thread!!! ***

also getting off ladders is very annoying but maybe it's because i am retarded. i also play with vsync on as it solves my 'tearing' issues. anyone else play with vsync on? apparently hl2 runs better with control panel settings rather than in game settings? is that true? on a sidenote the rage3d boards are full of idiots.

The majority of people on the rage3d boards are Idiots

HL2 is about looking like a real world, not some alien world where the leafs are too bright, water too blue, and pipes too shiny. HL2 is like a hot chick who's a natural beauty, whereas Farcry is like some chick with too much makeup, and Doom 3 is some goth chick... there might be a hot chick under all that makeup, but you'll never know for sure.

Last edited by pinsnpies; 11-17-04 at 11:32 AM.
pinsnpies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 11:26 AM   #128
Superfly
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
I agree about the manual...and the "hint book" included with the CE should've been called the LOTS OF SPOILERS WITH NO WARNING book.
ROFL - hard luck man

Old 11-17-04, 11:49 AM   #129
|MaguS|

Such emotion in the game... War truly is hell on everyone...

Last edited by |MaguS|; 07-15-11 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-17-04, 12:02 PM   #130
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

What is everyone's favorite weapon (so far)? Mine would have to be the SMG, Crossbow or RPG. The Gravity Gun can be considered as a weapon I guess and it kicks some serious tail if used properly.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 12:04 PM   #131
Warden13

Still at work but anyone that can toss me a hint either here or via PM regarding what to do after getting the shotgun in Ravenholm gets a free 6800 Ultra.
Ok, maybe not an Ultra but at least a big thank you from me

Warden
Warden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 01:04 PM   #132
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Great game marred by a horrible presentation and release method. I've never had to wait so long between installing the game and actually being able to play it. Even Baldor's Gate 2 didn't take that long to install on my 200mhz when I did the absolute full install! And I've had to reinstall the game twice already because it keeps screwing up my games list after it automatically installed a NEW copy of Steam in a different place, so I had 2 copies of Steam and at one point 10gb of duplicate files. And requiring the disc in the drive to play it even though it's authenticated and activated through Steam? No manual? Jesus, it's like they don't WANT us to play this game, no matter what method I use to get it I feel like I'm being anally raped. Steam has to be the worst delivery method I've ever seen for a game.

The actual game however, is great (although the total lack of any real multiplayer is a major disapointment, but if they end up releasing TF2 or NS:S on the engine then all would be forgiven ). Physics are fun even if some of the puzzles are predicatable, and it really gives you a nice feeling of suspense. The music is good (I was suprised they used a bunch of tunes from HL1) and the action is intense, plus the world seems very dynamic. But I do have a few gripes with it: for one the loading times are attrocious. Maybe they wouldn't be so bad, except most maps don't last for more than 5-10 minutes, so you're spending a good 5% of your time or more just waiting at a loading screen (not including the 3 minute startup time when you launch Steam and the game), and it cuts off the music you were listening to, which really hurts the continuity of the game. Also it seems they focused mainly on DX9 effects: on my TI4200 some things look MUCH more bland than they should, and I don't understand why they couldn't use DX8 effects in place of it (like Farcry did, which looked great in DX8 mode and even better in DX9). And I could've sworn the water looked better on my computer in the leaked alpha than it does in the full game (er...not that I played the leaked alpha or anything ). The shadows and lighting are pretty disapointing, too, it's almost comical walking into a room and seeing the shadows rearange themselves to a new lightsource, then taking a step back and watching them move back to their original positions, etc. Character models and certain effects are great, but lighting and textures are often lackluster. Oh well, at least it still manages to look realistic. Is there any way to enable full reflections on a TI4200 though? I set it to full, but it only uses a simple reflection.

So anyway, I have a sort of love-hate relationship with the game (well, more like with Valve/Vivendi). They worked so hard on making such a great game, and then nearly ruined it with their anti-piracy/cheapassness. It's actually rather sad that copy protection has once again deteriorated into requiring many of their users to jump through hoops just to play a game, but that's the way it works, I guess. Hopefully they'll change a few things about Steam in the coming months (like disabling the disc checking for the retail version), right now playing HL2 through Steam feels like watching a great movie on a 13" B&W TV...
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote