Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-16-04, 08:39 AM   #37
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Default Re: *** Official Half-LifeČ Feedback Thread!!! ***

so no HL2DM and no HDR... what about 3Dc? Any X800 owners here?
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-04, 08:40 AM   #38
|MaguS|

When the game locks up for acouple of seconds and then continues, its not stuttering. Its doing a checkpoint save, if you turn cache on in the cfg file you will remove this since you will cache levels ahead of time, also speeds up level loading by a small fraction. I have only crashed once so far (reason Im here on the forums actually..)

Im currently on the dune buggy area. Pretty bad ass but tough as hell.
Old 11-16-04, 09:39 AM   #39
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Wow fellas, I have to say that this is way more than I ever expected it to be so far. Here's my little review of it so far.

Gameplay - After reading a few people's response on gameplay, I have not once had a stutter or freeze up. The controls are "universal" (W,A,S,D, etc) and are easy to use. One thing that I've notice so far is the power of the different guns. Once I got the SMG, it would take about 20 shots to put a Combine soldier down. But with the Pistol, it only takes 2 or 3 shots to the head. That's kind of odd but that my be just me. Another disadvantage is loading times. Once my copy unlocked, it took about 5 minutes to load the main screen and another 3 minutes to load the first level.

Graphics and Audio - The graphics and sound are just stunning; there isn't much I can say about these things without drooling over it. Valve really put in the time and payed attention to detail. The reflections off the water, detail in the human's faces and textures are just amazing. Valve's style of art (I hope you get what I mean) in the game is awesome.

Content: After reading (watching) Gamespot's review of HL2, I just couldn't believe that they did not like the story line. It's great. There has not been a moment yet that I have not liked. This game has a great mix of appropriate action and humor. I've only been playing for 2 hours and I'm just excited and can't wait to go back home (I'm at school ) to crank my PC up. One of my favorite parts of the story so far is either the Headcrab "missing" in Kliener's Lab or when you first put on the HEV suit. Man, when I put on the HEV suit, I was pumped.

Overall, I would give it a 9.8/10.

Pros: Amazing graphics, physics, audio and action. It's just a game that you have to play to believe.

Cons: Slow loading times. That's all I have to complain about.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-04, 09:48 AM   #40
gordon151

Man I got stuck early at the beginning after you save the girl and get the gun. When I went outside I thought you had to stack up the trash cans and jump over the fence. I spent the better part of 15 minutes trying to do that until I noticed the open fenced door. I felt so stupid .
Old 11-16-04, 09:57 AM   #41
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

f00k me, this game is good! I mean, is it just me, or do you feel like you really are in a hurry to find a way out of what seems like a trap because they're after you! It's like, well maybe if I... **** yeah! RUN! *bang bang bang*... *music hits*

Can't pick a fault, my frame rates get a little choppy when bursting into a huge scene with lots of shaders etc, but nothing to worry about. PLays 1024*768 fine.
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-04, 10:03 AM   #42
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Anyhoo, My teacher for my class today didnt show up, so i decided that was a sign i say screw school and go and buy HL2. I bought the retail collectors ed. (the DVD one) And man this game is so ****ing leet

look at my screens, running silk smooth! 1600x1200 4xAA/8xAF!

I cant wait for teh uber Day of Defeat, maybe it will be as good as HL2!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steam.JPG
Views:	841
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	8714  
Old 11-16-04, 10:45 AM   #43
Lfctony

Unhappy Re: *** Official Half-LifeČ Feedback Thread!!! ***

Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-04, 10:46 AM   #44
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

Send a message via AIM to karkrash81

Played about 90 minutes worth...I am very impressed.

What really strikes me is the well-done atmosphere created. The oppression, the police-state, is palpable...hats off to superb art direction, design, and presentation.
My System: Athlon 64 x2 3800+ overclocked to 4600+/2 GB Geil PC3200/8800 GTS 320 mb/Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard/Logitech z-680's/Total of 760 GB of Hard Drive Space (2x300 + 1x160)/audigy 2/Two 20.1" Widescreen LCD's (Dell 2005fpw)
Favorite movie: Snatch/Favorite Game: NOLF/Song of the Week: "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse/
What I'm Playing this Week: Nothing!
karkrash81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-04, 11:08 AM   #45
Riptide

Damn. I hear this game has puzzles in it. Which is fine for most people but I absolutely suck at that stuff. Something tells me I'm going to get pretty frustrated with this thing.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-04, 11:19 AM   #46
Superfly
Retired

are the activation servers up and running OK?????

I get home in an hour and a half!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-04, 11:20 AM   #47
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytaylor
f00k me, this game is good! I mean, is it just me, or do you feel like you really are in a hurry to find a way out of what seems like a trap because they're after you! It's like, well maybe if I... **** yeah! RUN! *bang bang bang*... *music hits*
Hehe, tell me about it. Even in my half-sleep state around 3AM this morning, it made me anxious, especially at the beginning running through the apts. Can't wait until I'm off work

O and Valve, bring on DoD:Source! Btw, anyone know what the updates are to CS:Source? Only unlocked HL2 & cancelled all other precaching. Kinda curious as to what's new since it seemed to be taking quite a while to pull down although, I'm sure some of that can be attributed to the massive amount of connections hitting the steam servers at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
Damn. I hear this game has puzzles in it. Which is fine for most people but I absolutely suck at that stuff. Something tells me I'm going to get pretty frustrated with this thing.
I'm with ya Rip, so far it hasn't been too bad at all. The main thing to remember is that physics are an integral part of the game so if it looks like your stuck, take a look at the environment and see what you can use.
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-04, 11:21 AM   #48
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
Don't worry puzzles are usually pretty easy and straight foward, most of the time think of the physics because most use it in a way. Also look for the HL symbol if your lost. It posts to secrets and paths that aren't usually easy to find.

BTW Im on 3 G-Man sightings...