Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-04, 06:09 PM   #13
Mullins1060

Default Re: How do I play the game without steam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikachuMan
What about if I just block it with Zonealarm?
that would work
M/B: Asus Rampage Formula (0401 BIOS) | CPU: Intel Xeon 3350 @ 3.6GHz (8x450MHz) 1.256v | HSF: Tuniq Tower 120-LFB | RAM: 2x2GB Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-8500C5 @ 1080MHz 5-5-5-15 2T 2.1v | GFX: 1792MB EVGA GeForce GTX 295 | HD: 2x300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10000RPM SATA-II 16MB Cache (RAID 0) | SOUND: Asus SupremeFX II | PSU: OCZ ModXStream 900W | CASE: Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80B
Old 11-16-04, 06:11 PM   #14
betterdan

I turned off my cable modem and it didnt work, neither did disabling my network connection.
I'm trying what mullins1060 suggested right now.

Old 11-16-04, 06:15 PM   #15
OWA

I tried blocking it with ZA and that didn't work for me. It eventually popped up a dialog saying start steam in offline mode and I said yes. It then went to launch HL2 but came back with an error dialog saying HL2 wasn't ready to play offline yet or something like that.
Old 11-16-04, 06:35 PM   #16
betterdan

Steam is back up now!

Old 11-16-04, 07:06 PM   #17
Mullins1060

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
I tried blocking it with ZA and that didn't work for me. It eventually popped up a dialog saying start steam in offline mode and I said yes. It then went to launch HL2 but came back with an error dialog saying HL2 wasn't ready to play offline yet or something like that.
offline mode will only work when you have activated and unlocked your install of hl2
M/B: Asus Rampage Formula (0401 BIOS) | CPU: Intel Xeon 3350 @ 3.6GHz (8x450MHz) 1.256v | HSF: Tuniq Tower 120-LFB | RAM: 2x2GB Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-8500C5 @ 1080MHz 5-5-5-15 2T 2.1v | GFX: 1792MB EVGA GeForce GTX 295 | HD: 2x300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10000RPM SATA-II 16MB Cache (RAID 0) | SOUND: Asus SupremeFX II | PSU: OCZ ModXStream 900W | CASE: Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80B
Old 11-16-04, 07:13 PM   #18
betterdan

I did unlock and activate my HL2 this morning at 3 am. We played it until around 7 am then again from about 1pm to 2 pm. Came home at 6pm and tried to start it up again and steam was down so tried to play it in offline mode and it wouldn't. It told me that the user information is not stored on my computer and I will have to log into steam. What a bunch of bull.

Old 11-16-04, 07:32 PM   #19
mrgimble

Angry Re: How do I play the game without steam?

Its been over an hour since I began the installation process and still waiting. This is the last game from valve, or game that uses steam, I ever buy I tell you all that. I didn't buy a game to have to wait to play it. If I could take it back I would. I also highly suggest that anyone who hasn't bought it seek other means to get it and not support such a crappy approach to copy protection.

Old 11-16-04, 07:39 PM   #20
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullins1060
offline mode will only work when you have activated and unlocked your install of hl2
As someone else has mentioned it doesn't seem to work even after the above has been done. I've already been playing the game some but for some reason can only start and play the game if steam can access the internet and log me in.

Old 11-16-04, 07:48 PM   #21
mrgimble

This is absoutely pathetic. I am still waiting. Now I can't log back into steam to attempt to "unlock" the HL2 files. I can't beleive that its legal to have a product that people can't play.
Old 11-16-04, 07:51 PM   #22
betterdan

Ok OWA and others I found the problem of not being able to play in offline mode and it was right in plain site on the Steam support page here http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi...YWdlPTE*&p_li=

"Two Scenarios:
1. My friend has no Internet connection, how can he set things up so he can play offline?

2. I want to be able to play at a LAN party and they won't have an internet connection there, how can we all play offline?

Answer:
There are several ways to do this that will work for players without Internet access as well as for LAN Parties where there won't be internet access.

Note:
You have to be online somewhere at least once to perform all of the following steps.

The first step here is to perform the latest update and capture it. This is very important to make sure you get the latest content and bug fixes. Everyone that will be participating at the LAN event must have the latest update!

Easiest way
Bring the computer that will be playing offline to an available internet connection at a friend's house, school or perhaps business. Log into the account and do all the updates, make sure it all works.

Then "exit" (do not log out!) from Steam, go to the Steam folder and make a copy of the clientregistry.blob file (just in case). Write-protect the copy (mark it Read/Only).

Physically unplug the computer from the internet, start up Steam and let it fall back into offline mode. Make sure the computer will play both Listenserver (LAN), client and the single player ok, then exit from Steam again.

WIN98
If this is a WIN98 computer, it will act like it's stuck updating and not logging in, JUST WAIT! It will take about 90 seconds for it to finally figure out that there isn't an active internet connection then it will prompt you to retry or go into offline mode.

The computer is now ready to play offline at home unless he accidentally logs out ...

If he does this he won't be able to play unless he verifies online again >> or << exits from Steam, then copies the copy of the clientregistry.blob file back which will restore his offline play.

NOTE: MAKE SURE THE ACTIVE ClientRegistry.blob FILE IS NOT WRITE PROTECTED!

It certainly wouldn't hurt to burn a CD of the working offline installation for him."

So I guess as soon as we log off the computer we can't get back onto steam offline unless we log into steam via the internet and reverify our accounts again or unless we have a copy of that clientregistry.blob file and copy it over the original file. I tried it and it works. Stupid way to make it work in offline mode though. Why the hell would they make it forget your info everytime you log off? I saw an option in the settings that says "Don't save account info on this computer". I left it unchecked assuming it would save my account info therefore not having to worry about it forgetting my login info and having to verify it with steam everytime but it doesn't seem to work.

By the way in offline mode Steam is still taking up 17.3 mb here but at least that's better than the 40mb it takes up when it's connected online.
So far only the Steam thing and the slow loading are my only 2 complaints. Since Valve unlocked it for me why won't they let me play it anytime I want without that damn Steam client?

Old 11-16-04, 07:57 PM   #23
OWA

Thanks for the info betterdan!
Old 11-16-04, 07:59 PM   #24
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Thanks for the info betterdan!
No problem sir

Closed Thread