Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-04, 08:07 PM   #25
OWA

Default Re: How do I play the game without steam?

Looking at the procedure, I'm not sure I like that since I plan to play in offline mode 95% of the time. That is going to be a pain but hopefully some 3rd party will release a utility to make switching between modes quick and painless.

Quote:
So far only the Steam thing and the slow loading are my only 2 complaints. Since Valve unlocked it for me why won't they let me play it anytime I want without that damn Steam client?
My sentiments exactly.
Old 11-16-04, 08:27 PM   #26
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

betterdan, can you please make a copy of your post describing the offline mode procedure and make a new thread with it? I think a sticky would definitely be in order.
Old 11-16-04, 08:28 PM   #27
balex99

I'm in. Talked with a friend of mine that was having the same problem. He kept trying and trying and finally got through. I did the same thing. Took about 6 to 10 times logging in but finally took. I launched the game and I am just at the menu screen waiting to play it. (Have to get my son to bed first)

Can't wait to hear the excuses when the dust settles.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-16-04, 08:30 PM   #28
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
betterdan, can you please make a copy of your post describing the offline mode procedure and make a new thread with it? I think a sticky would definitely be in order.
Yeah, I second that since I still can't seem to get offline mode working. I still get a game not ready to be played in offline mode message so I must be doing something wrong.

Edit: Just to clarify, I've got steam in offline mode but HL2 won't start. I get the message above.
Old 11-16-04, 08:30 PM   #29
mrgimble

I can't get it into offline mode ever. I am lucky if I can even conect to steam. What makes me mad is the no return policy for software in Canada. I feel valve owes me a refund. I am soo dissapointed.

oh di dI mention I am on dialup so I can't remotely stay online while I play. If I could even connect to steam.
Old 11-16-04, 08:34 PM   #30
saturnotaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Yeah, I second that since I still can't seem to get offline mode working. I still get a game not ready to be played in offline mode message so I must be doing something wrong.

Edit: Just to clarify, I've got steam in offline mode but HL2 won't start. I get the message above.
I get this as well. Something's definitely up here.
Old 11-16-04, 08:41 PM   #31
betterdan

Ok I posted a new thread with all of the info from that Steam page on how to get offline mode working. Owa and Saturn I noticed in the special notes at the top of that page it says

Special Note:
If a game says "100%" but "Not Ready" for offline play, it may be because the purchase process for that game (cd-key or cc purchase transaction) has not yet completed. You need to wait for that to complete before playing offline.

If you two paid with a CC maybe it hasn't been authorized yet or something.

Old 11-16-04, 08:45 PM   #32
mrgimble

I found this

Special Note:
If a game says "100%" but "Not Ready" for offline play, it may be because the purchase process for that game (cd-key or cc purchase transaction) has not yet completed. You need to wait for that to complete before playing offline.

Seems valve got our money but we have to wait to actually own the game.

Old 11-16-04, 08:46 PM   #33
saturnotaku

Yeah, I was just about to post that. I purchased the CE from EB Games, same place I get all my stuff. Maybe you have to register with Vivendi or something. And I would do that, but their registration server hasn't been working all afternoon.
Old 11-16-04, 08:47 PM   #34
mrgimble

I remember steam told me that teh server was too busy and would do it as soon as valve stopped being dumbasses.

Should be never I guess
Old 11-16-04, 09:08 PM   #35
OWA

Yeah, I think that is why my offline mode is not working. I just found that "special note" in the FAQ as well. I got the below message when going through the activation process so I guess that is my problem. Checking the properties, it says 100% but not ready for offline play.

Old 11-16-04, 09:10 PM   #36
betterdan

Ok I saw this on the forums at Planet Halflife hope it helps someone...

Hello all. Yes, I've been through hours of trying to authenticate the CD as part of the installation process just like you have (and probably still are). I took a break long enough to browse this forum to see if others were as insensed as I was about what Valve has done to it's customers, and for the most part, you are. I found a thread about a .blob file that seemed to be holding up the authentication process (error 200). It suggested you rename the .blob file to *.blob.old and restart Steam. To my surprise it actually WORKED! The authentication, account creation, unlocking HL2 files, all worked without a hitch. I was taken to a window (after all the above) where I could start playing the game and couldn't resist. After I died a few times, I wanted to give you all a heads up that the tweak WORKS. Well, I'm back to the game. Do it, it really works!

Closed Thread