Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-16-02, 02:02 AM   #1
fantomas
nazgul

Default Will Doom be multiprocessor optimized?

Anyone know if Doom3 is gonna be able to take advantage of a duel cpu configuration? In fact, are any games? I cant find out any info about this, any websites that have reviews of a duel box compared to a standard pc benchmarking quake3 or something.

fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-02, 02:14 AM   #2
fantomas
nazgul

Hmm, Anand has a fat article about duel Athlons where he says:

Performance here is dependent on not only a fast processor but a fast graphics subsystem; luckily 3D Studio MAX is multithreaded so it can easily take advantage of moving to multiple processors[color=skyblue]

you can read the whole thing here

Still dont know if Doom, or any games, are multithreaded.
Old 11-16-02, 02:42 AM   #3
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Quake 3 is able to use multiple processors.

One can assume that Doom3 will.
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-02, 03:44 AM   #4
fantomas
nazgul

thanks

A bit of googling around points out on apples site that return to castle wolfenstein is mp so I guess its pretty common in new games. Interestingly you can get an mp version of Fritz, the toughest computer opponent chess game.
Old 11-16-02, 12:09 PM   #5
The Baron

Course it will, Q3 was, Falcon4 was, all Q3 engine games are, and THIS IS JC HERE!
Old 11-16-02, 06:54 PM   #6
fantomas
nazgul

Quote:
Course it will, Q3 was, Falcon4 was, all Q3 engine games are, and THIS IS JC HERE!
Tech report do a mp test with Quake 3, to quote the results:

Here we have some very interesting results indeed. Looking at the overall picture, it seems that the SMP support in Quake III Arena gets you very little above simply overcoming the overhead introduced by having two processors.

The situation repeats itself with the 1900+, as the single-CPU configuration beats all comers except for the dual 1900+ with SMP enabled. At the high end, the gain achieved with dual processors is much less—only an additional 0.6 frames per second.

It's possible that memory bandwidth limitations are responsible for the miniscule gains at the high end, but the Duron results show that even without a possible memory bottleneck, the SMP support in Q3A is no miracle worker.

So yeah, I would really love it if Doom 3 improved from this state of affairs. I havent seen the alpha, not that the 0.02 version is anything to make serious judgements from, but I would be very interested to see if any Multiproccessor commands are in the game. For example, in Quake 3 by setting the in-game variable r_smp to 1, support for multiple processors is enabled.

Anyone Tried this with the Alpha??
Old 11-16-02, 10:15 PM   #7
StealthHawk

Quake 3 had horrible SMP support. period.
Old 11-16-02, 11:23 PM   #8
The Baron

That test is absolutely pointless.

OF COURSE it's going to have the same performance, it's not stressing the CPU, it's stressing the video card. Now, if you try Falcon 4, create a custom mission with 600 planes or so, and then try it, it's going to stress the hell out of your CPU and that would be a semi-accurate test.

You can't really test SMP with games because they're all still limited by the video card instead of the proc. We need better AI or something like that before we're going to get CPU problems...

Old 11-17-02, 01:36 AM   #9
fantomas
nazgul

Yeah, doom 3 is meant to be mean on the CPU with a deep physics engine so you would think multiproccessor would be an advantage....but then with Clawhammer and 64 bit cpu's just round the corner ....

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception."
~ Groucho Marx ~
Old 11-17-02, 01:57 AM   #10
The Baron

You know when SMP and all that is going to make a difference?

True deformable environments.

We've got Stage 1 of that--a good physics engine. Stage 2 is actually making environments deformable according to the laws of physics.

It's on-the-fly object generation, pretty much. Red Faction had it, but it was lame.

But think about it--what if you can use a pack of C4 on a steel door, have it blow in halfway, and then fire a railgun round at it and have the door fly in?

It's gonna be BADASS!
Old 11-17-02, 01:59 AM   #11
fantomas
nazgul

OF COURSE it's going to have the same performance, it's not stressing the CPU, it's stressing the video card. Now, if you try Falcon 4, create a custom mission with 600 planes or so, and then try it, it's going to stress the hell out of your CPU and that would be a semi-accurate test.

Yeah I would really like to see the results of a test like that, or one with some openGL apps. If anyone knows any good articles online about this stuff then let me know
Old 11-17-02, 02:03 AM   #12
fantomas
nazgul

Quote:
But think about it--what if you can use a pack of C4 on a steel door, have it blow in halfway, and then fire a railgun round at it and have the door fly in?

It's gonna be BADASS!
Agreed