Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-17-04, 01:04 PM   #13
jbirney

Default Re: Official HardOCP HL2 benchmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicmaniac
then DriverHeaven can be called Lies-Heaven?

lol

it seems that Nvidia ha really won this nv40 vs r420 battle

same performance in H.L.2 and F.C. but hugely better in Doom3

i can finally say my uncle what to buy this Christmas :P
No compared to other HL2 benchmark ATI is in the lead as we all expected them to be....
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 01:09 PM   #14
fivefeet8
Ngemu Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbirney
No compared to other HL2 benchmark ATI is in the lead as we all expected them to be....
It really depends on which pricepoint your looking at.
[i7 2600k @4.4ghertz][2x4 GB DDR3 1600][EVGA GTX570 1.280GB SC][EVGA GTX460 physx][Asrock Extreme7 Gen3 Z68][2xSeagate 160 Gb SATA HD raid0][Seagate 250 GB SATA2 HD][Sony Bravia 40' 1080p LCD HDTV][NEC 3520a DVD+-DLw][Windows 7 Ultimate x64][Rosewill 1000w]
fivefeet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 01:47 PM   #15
Graphicmaniac
GraphicLover

6800GT still remain the best card of 2004

togheter with 6600GT

Last edited by Graphicmaniac; 11-17-04 at 02:04 PM.
Graphicmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 03:03 PM   #16
NoWayDude
Charlie don't Surf!

Yes we would expect ATI to have a lead on this game.But is nothing compared to DH and
ATI themselves are trying to put out.
The X800PTE has at maximum a 20% to 25% lead (Anand dixit) with AA and AF cranked, that is easily explained by the memory bandwith advantage
The lower segment we see parity across the board (win some, lose some)
Is the X700 on Anand benchmark 128 or 256?And the 6600 is it the 128?
If so, ATI may have problems on that segment, because it looks like the Value cards, Nvidia is coming out with good products.
NoWayDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-04, 08:37 AM   #17
jbirney

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWayDude
Yes we would expect ATI to have a lead on this game.But is nothing compared to DH and
ATI themselves are trying to put out.
Consider this:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...ance/page6.asp

Here they uses their own demo (which happens to be the same map as one of the ATI demos). And take a look at the 1600x1200 scores. 6800u is getting 43 FPS, the x800 PE is DOUBLE that. This is with out any AA/AF so we can not say its bandwidth, aa, optimizations (trylinear, ect). Which more or less backs up what ATIs PR crap said. You have to realize that every HL2 benchmark review is going to be different. They will use different maps, different things will happen, ect. You can not compare one with the other and say yeap, so and so is off. Also did you not think ATI was going to pick the best case and run with it? All PR is this way. The game plays just fine on all the cards so why bother complaining?
Old 11-18-04, 08:43 AM   #18
Razor1

Quote:
Consider this:

Here they uses their own demo (which happens to be the same map as one of the ATI demos). And take a look at the 1600x1200 scores. 6800u is getting 43 FPS, the x800 PE is DOUBLE that. This is with out any AA/AF so we can not say its bandwidth, aa, optimizations (trylinear, ect). Which more or less backs up what ATIs PR crap said. You have to realize that every HL2 benchmark review is going to be different. They will use different maps, different things will happen, ect. You can not compare one with the other and say yeap, so and so is off. Also did you not think ATI was going to pick the best case and run with it? All PR is this way. The game plays just fine on all the cards so why bother complaining?

Check driver versions
Razor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-04, 09:19 AM   #19
dpagan

Quote:
Consider this:

they are using ati's beta drivers which where made for hl2 but they didn't use nvidia's hl2 beta driver 67.02, which IMO is not a fair comparison at all

copied from firingsquad

ATI RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition
ATI RADEON X800 XT AGP
ATI RADEON X800 PRO
Driver version CAT 4.12 beta

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT reference card
Driver version 66.93

by the way Anand's benchmark article also claims valve only gave nvidia two days with the game but gave ati a whole week and that can make a big difference in driver development for HL2

Spec's:
Abit NF8
Amd Athlon64 2800@2.25Ghz
1GB GeIL Ultra Platinum PC4000@ 7-4-4-2.5
160GB WD Caviar HD 7200RPM 8MB Cache
Chaintech 6600GT@ 550/1000
SB Audigy2

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=36426
dpagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-04, 12:04 PM   #20
jbirney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor1
Check driver versions
I realize that but no driver is going to add back 40 fps at high detial in a shader limited part of the game....

Old 11-18-04, 12:09 PM   #21
jbirney

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpagan
they are using ati's beta drivers which where made for hl2 but they didn't use nvidia's hl2 beta driver 67.02, which IMO is not a fair comparison at all ....

by the way Anand's benchmark article also claims valve only gave nvidia two days with the game but gave ati a whole week and that can make a big difference in driver development for HL2
Anand bechies showed ATI was still "much" faster. Not the 40 fps faster. But enough. I agree not using the most current version was not the best apples vrs apples. But HardOCP used OC version of the NV cards. Which is fine but you have to realize not every 68xx sold is a OC card. Finally remember those Doom3 benchmarks that NV sponsered? ATI never even knew about the test. NV not only knew about it but had their own demos. However very few people here seemed to care back then about being fair.

Look the point is depending on the level and the time demo you are going to see varing scores. And so far ATI seems to be faster.
Old 11-18-04, 01:14 PM   #22
holmes

My question is does it really matter? If all top end card can pretty much do 1600x1200@4xAA/8xAF (provided you have the CPU)? And even if you don't, 1600x1200 with some AF pretty much seems to be a given. I know in my case, I'm so CPU limited anyway that it probably wouldn't matter what settings I was runing at, unless I was running at super high AA/AF @1600x1200 or greater. But, in my case, I don't even have a monitor that can do 1600x1200, so I could care less. As it is, this 6800GT can't fuly stretch its legs on my system... a card clocked 170MHz (core) faster would probably perform exactly the same.

just my thoughts...

The Rig
ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+
AMD Athlon II x2 260
DDR3-1600 (2x2GB) Kingston HyperX
Western Digital caviar 1TB
ECS GeForce GT 220 1GB
Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX case
Corsair 750W PSU
holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-04, 02:24 PM   #23
NoWayDude
Charlie don't Surf!

Quote:
Finally remember those Doom3 benchmarks that NV sponsered? ATI never even knew about the test. NV not only knew about it but had their own demos. However very few people here seemed to care back then about being fair.

This is wrong.ATI and Nvidia were both present when Carmack himself did the demo run.And ATI had a new driver then, and he did not make an ounce of diference.It still does not do it, even with Humus tweak (albeit it's much closer though)
In relation to HL2, we see discrepancies from diferent review sites.
Bottom line, the game runs great in any new gen hardware.It will improve with new driver releases from both vendors.

edit: link for [H] regarding Doom3 benchies as per Carmack himself
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQy
NoWayDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-04, 03:15 PM   #24
Razor1

Quote:
I realize that but no driver is going to add back 40 fps at high detial in a shader limited part of the game....

so you're saying ATI seems to perform better with shader less intenstive parts of HL2? damn that goes against eveything you said before about pixel shader performance. Ok you can believe Firing squads benches if you want, but they seem to have always used maps and drivers slanted towards ATi, just like the Far Cry benchmarks where they only use outdoor scenes!
Razor1 is offline   Reply With Quote