Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-04-02, 08:19 PM   #1
garry

Default Choose between 2 harddrives

Hi,im trying to choose between 2 harddrives,the
80 Gb Seagate 7200 RPM UATA 100
or the 80 Gb Western Digital 7200 RPM UATA 100; JB Model; 8Mb Cache
Is there a lot of difference with the 8 meg catch.

Last edited by garry; 08-04-02 at 08:21 PM.
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-02, 11:26 PM   #2
volt

Yes there is a difference. I'd go with WD as I own one (120 Gig and 8mb buffer). In some tests the drive with 8mb buffer beats the SCSI one's. If you want the extra performance, go for it
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-02, 11:36 PM   #3
garry

Yeh thanks for that you talked me in to it,Im going to get the 120 to,cant wait.
Old 08-05-02, 06:16 AM   #4
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

whichever one you get, make sure it has that 8mb cache you will LOVE IT
Old 08-07-02, 02:39 PM   #5
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

NOTE - This is my personal view of WD and my personal experience with them and other manuf.

With the disclaimer out of the way...

I owned many WD drives before they got over 1GB and they were excellent drives, the first 2 20GB WD's i got failed on me, so I gave up on them and went with IBM from that time on and I've never been dissapointed (PS one of my 75GXP's is from Hungary) and it's never given me a hickup, stable operation for over 2years. However WD has failed me imho, so I will only buy IBM, Maxtor, or Fujitsu. Seagate is okay, but I work with Crystal Reports at work, so I see enough stuff from Seagate during my normal work day

The fact of the matter is I will never buy WD ever again, because the data stored on my drives is WAYYYY to critical to lose. Some may say IBM has problems but I've NEVER had a problem even with a drive from the "IBM Horror Stories". I pretty much run my puter 24/7, granted there's not 24/7 Data Access going on, but there's atleast 10-12hrs every day...and after 2yrs I'd say it has impressed me.

Sorry for the obscenely long post...Just tryin to get back into the swing of things
Monolyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-02, 03:13 PM   #6
Marty McFly

I have 2 Western Digital HD's.

1 - 120mb w/8mb cache
1 - 100mb w/2mb cache

No problems, no complaints.

Monolyth... I'd be careful how you emphasize the word never. Sounds like you're asking to be jinxed
Marty McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-02, 08:34 PM   #7
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

Well frankly they WILL fail someday, but prob not this instant...

Plus I haven't broken any mirror's, walked under any ladders, or seen any black cats lately...*knock on wood* lmfao

btw, Marty I sure hope u didn't go back to the future and accidently buy them old WD drives. Ie. I think you meant GB's not MB's hehe
Monolyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-02, 08:43 PM   #8
Starscream
Decepticook

Quote:
Originally posted by Monolyth
btw, Marty I sure hope u didn't go back to the future and accidently buy them old WD drives. Ie. I think you meant GB's not MB's hehe
LOL!
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-02, 09:59 AM   #9
garry

Yeh i just got my 120 gig Western Digital with 8 meg catch,its a great drive better than the ibm deathstar 60gig i had before,but theres one thing that im wondering,is that i installed windows xp and formated it in ntfs,and when i get into windows it says that the drive is only 111 gig big,so theres 9 gigs missing is that normal.
Old 08-08-02, 10:59 AM   #10
garry

Ive got another question,when i ordered the 120 gig harddrive i also ordered a Promise ATA100 PCI 2-Channel IDE Controller,but when the stuff turns up, they sent me the wrong controller instead of the promise one,this is the one they sent me http://www.sunrichtech.com.hk/IO/ATA%20100.htm
it says on the box its ata 100 but undernieth here it says Supports Ultra DMA2, 3, 4 but i dont see dma5 mentioned,is this a true ata100 controller,has anyone herd of this controller before.

this is what it says on the website

Chipset : CMD 0649 ATA 100 Controller Chip
Bus Interface : 32-bit PCI Bus
Features :
Ultra ATA 100 compatible
PnP
Supports bus master DMA at 133Mbytes/sec PCI burst rate
Supports maximum bus master data transfer rate of 66MB/sec.
Two independent Ultra ATA channels with 128 Bytes buffer per channel
Supports up to four IdE/ATA devices (coexists with other IDE and SCSI controllers)
Fully backwards compatible with Ultra ATA/33, EIDE/Fast ATA-2 IDE & ATAPI devices
Supports Ultra DMA2, 3, 4 ; Multi-Word DMA0, 1, 2 & PIO 2, 3, 4 driver modes
Compliant to ATA/ATAPI-5 specification and PCI specification version 2.1.
Enhanced data integrity of transferred data with CRC (cyclical redundancy check) protection and verification
Compatible with Microsoft IDE/ATA drives (Windows 95/98, NT 4.0 & Windows 2000)
Connectors :
2 X Ultra ATA 100 IDE connectors
Old 08-08-02, 11:10 AM   #11
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

If it doesn't support UDMA mode 5, then I don't think it can be considered a true ATA 100 controller. Methinks you've been had. Return it and get the controller you asked for.

As for the hard drives, and I realize it's a little late now, but I would have bought the Seagate. I have that exact drive you mentioned and it's been awesome. Solid performance and it's been 100% reliable, which is more than I can say for any Western Digital hard drive I've owned. No matter how much cache it has, no WD hard drive will ever go back into my computer.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-02, 01:32 PM   #12
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Thumbs up

I like my HD Maxtor with ATA 133 need motherboard that support 133 though mine does

and yeah 80 Gb Western Digital 7200 RPM UATA 100; JB Model; 8Mb Cache or any other HD with 8mb and 7200 RPM should be real fast