Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-21-04, 07:02 PM   #1
PRAETORIAN

Default How to force shader precision to FP16 on a Geforce FX?

i could gain some 'partial' DX 9 performance in CS: Source with a little bit of IQ loss. Apparently Valve removed the 'mixed mode' on purpose.

I tried 3D Analyze but CS: Source doesnt let it load its process DLLs, probably due to hack/cheat protection.

A chap on this forum named Demirug used a tool called DX-Tweaker which he says he developed for his software house. He claimed to have gained 50% performance increase by forcing FP16. Is this tool freely available? Google only turned out some results for a file used to calibrate your deadzone in some joysticks.

i dont have HL2 fully loaded, and will buy it off the shelf next month when I am free from exams. I tested CS: Source beta from my CZero freebie, it seemed fine in Dx8.1...(the one I have right now is the Ati/HL2 key final version not the Czero beta one which was deactivated...), so until I get my hands on HL2 I wish to make CS: Source my guinea pig for testing the best out of the engine on my hardware.

I have an MSI 5900 based GPU.... FYI.

Thanks

EDIT: Is there a way to make the water render properly when you force DX9 in Source?

Last edited by PRAETORIAN; 11-25-04 at 08:19 PM.
PRAETORIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-04, 08:14 PM   #2
DestumteseL

Send a message via AIM to DestumteseL
Default Re: How to force shader precision to FP16 on a Geforce FX?

How do you still have cs:source on your czero account? mine got erased after the real version came out
Old 11-21-04, 08:34 PM   #3
PRAETORIAN

This is from the HL2 key....(from someones 9600 pro who gave it to me for free)...

I will buy HL2 off the shelf, people are saying there are some specific Steam related performance issues with the preloaded version.

PS: No help?

Last edited by PRAETORIAN; 11-21-04 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-22-04, 04:50 AM   #4
rewt
mmm, Beer.. :drooling:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAETORIAN
Is there a way to make the water render properly when you force DX9 in Source?
Heres how I did it.

Open Steam and go to Play Games. Right click on CS:Source go to Properties. Go to Launch Options and enter

-heapsize 524288 -dxlevel 90

where heapsize value is half your system RAM. Click OK.

Then in My Computer, browse to \Steam\SteamApps\(your log in name)\counter-strike source\cstrike\cfg and make a file called Autoexec.cfg. Open that file in notepad and enter these 2 variables

mat_dxlevel 90
mat_clipz 0

Save the file

Note* I also put the file in here just in case

\Steam\SteamApps\(your log in name)\counter-strike source\hl2\cfg

PS - I have made a custom Autoexec.cfg file and the game runs super!

Code:
mat_dxlevel 90
mat_clipz 0
snd_mixahead 0.7
cl_forcepreload 1
sv_forcepreload 1
cl_smooth 0
sv_autosave 0
Athlon64 Venice 3000+ @ 2.6GHz (4100+) · Win XP Pro x86, Vista Ultimate x64 · eVGA K8-NF41 nForce4 SLi · Corsair XMS 1.5GB PC3200 CAS2/1T · eVGA 2x 6600GT SLi · Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe · Western Digital Caviar SE ½TB RAID 0/1 · PowerLink LPK2-30 400W · LiteON LDW-411S OC to 811S 8x DVD±R/RW/ROM · MicroAdvantage 64MB QuickiDrive · Samsung SyncMaster 931B 19" LCD · Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse USB · Sony PSXtoUSB Analog Gamepads · Memorex MX2700 Multimedia Keyboard · Lexmark 3200 Color Jetprinter · nForce Network Controller 1Gb/s LAN (Cable ~3Mb/s down) · ΩPioneer Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
rewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-04, 06:55 AM   #5
PRAETORIAN

Thanks a lot friend......it works now but dang that fps is kinda low...

now how to force FP16....anyone?
Old 11-22-04, 04:08 PM   #6
PRAETORIAN

Anyone?

CHRIS?
Old 11-23-04, 08:54 PM   #7
lmetza

Send a message via AIM to lmetza

Well i probably shouldent discuss this here, but meh i will anyways.
The "Illegal" beta version of HL2 comes with the mixed mode (theres 2 dll's in the bin folder called nvfx_shader2.0.dll or something like that as i cant remmber the exact filename) Now if someone with the smarts would be able to somehow get that working in the "Final" HL2 we could use mixed mode. Not sure how to do it or i would do it myself.
But if you can somehow manage to aquire the files for the mixed mode from the beta and get them working, please let me know.

I have tested the beta MYSELF and the mixed mode does infact work,it even ran good with 2xAA and 4xAF at 1024x768, water reflections where there and stuff. I have a 5900XT, and when i tested it i was useing the 50 series of drivers. So nvidia maybe enhanced a few things since then.
lmetza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-04, 06:22 AM   #8
PRAETORIAN

i think ur right, since a few people on guru3d who played the beta also claim that the mixed mode ran prefectly fast and looked as good as pure precision...

HECK, you can barely tell the difference between DX8 vs DX9 in everything apart frm the water...this is so lame, how would this mixed mode look so 'bad'?

valve cheated on FX users at ATI's behest, i think its time we pay them back...even though the voucher i have was for free, i still dont think these fat assed developers are worthy of my money...