Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-17-02, 02:21 AM   #1
phex

Default nForce2 problem

aye guys, i just bought a Asus A7N8X motherboard which is based on the nforce2 chipset. I went to nvidia's linux nforce drivers page and downloaded/installed the drivers. i even edited my /etc/modules.conf just as the README said, but still they dont seem to work.
Im runnin slackware so i built the drivers from the src. if anyone has any ideas or suggestions please help me out. i really want to use the onboard NIC's and Audio.
phex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-02, 09:59 AM   #2
etr

Post More Information, Please

Some more information would be very helpful. If you are getting an error message, please include it.

Here are the steps it sounds like you've completed:
1) Installed the kernel source and headers
2) Installed the nForce driver source
3) Ran "make" in the nvnet and nvaudio directories
4) Ran "make install" in the nvnet and nvaudio directories
5) Updated /etc/modules.conf
6) Ran "depmod -a"
7) Ran "modprobe nvnet" (or "modprobe <alias>")
8) Run "modprobe nvaudio" (or "modprobe <alias.")

By the sound of things, you have not run the last three steps. However, if any of these steps sounds unfamiliar, I'd recommend you check where you are. I (and I'm sure others) would be happy to help you troubleshoot your problem if you can give us some more information.

Incidentally, most people recommend NOT using the nvaudio driver. Newer kernels support the nForce through the i810 audio module. Furthermore, nvaudio module is really nothing more than a patched i810 audio module to begin with. As a result, I'd recommend just using the kernel i810 module.
etr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-02, 01:08 PM   #3
phex

root@phoenix:/home/phex/nforce# depmod -a
root@phoenix:/home/phex/nforce# modprobe nvnet
Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/net/nvnet.o will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - NVIDIA
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s1-18 for information about tainted modules
Module nvnet loaded, with warnings
root@phoenix:/home/phex/nforce# modprobe nvaudio
modprobe: Can't locate module nvaudio
root@phoenix:/home/phex/nforce#

thats all i get, i tailed /var/log/messages and nothing came up. oh ya, and what other info do you need from me?
Old 11-17-02, 02:04 PM   #4
etr

Default Are You Sure Networking Isn't Working?

By the sound of things, your networking should be operational. Have you tested it? What type of network environment are you trying to set up? (That "tainted" warning is telling you that the nvnet module you just loaded is not GPL--GNU Public License. While this tends to be frowned upon by proponents of open source, this does not in any way indicate that the module is not working.)

As I recall, the second NIC in the nForce2 is actually from 3Com, so you will probably want to install some 3Com drivers for that (if you need it). It will probably help to check your manuals or a review site to find out precisely what 3Com chip was used.

As far as the audio is concerned, it is worth noting that you need the OSS modules included with the kernel installed to get the nForce audio patch from nVidia to work. If you need to play with the kernel, you might also consider trying the i810_audio.o module, which does not require the nVidia patch. For reference, I used the following options in my kernel (for the audio of an nForce1):
CONFIG_SOUND=y
CONFIG_SOUND_ICH=m
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m
For reference, CONFIG_SOUND_ICH is for the i810 driver, which I use in place of nvaudio. This is a 2.4.19 kernel. I should point out that the addition of nForce support is fairly recent. I think it was introduced in 2.4.18, but I it could have been earlier.

Going forward, it would be helpful to know what kernel you are running, and to see what you have set up in /etc/modules.conf.
Old 11-17-02, 02:22 PM   #5
phex

well i tried to 'dhcpcd eth1' then 'ifconfig eth1' but nothin came up
i only got this

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:E0:18:xx:xx:xx
BROADCAST NOTRAILERS MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

also this may sound dumb, but i tried to install all the 3com modules. none worked.
Old 11-17-02, 02:32 PM   #6
phex

do u think i should try to install RH or WinXp on another HD so i can see if they work there?
Old 11-17-02, 03:29 PM   #7
etr

Again, the kernel version and /etc/modules.conf would be helpful. Since you have the module loading, I think you have the driver working properly. However, this does not get the networking operational. You generally still have do some additional setup to handle that. At this point, it sounds like your primary obstacle is the network setup that must be performed with ANY driver, rather than the driver itself.

Just out of curiosity, what is your past experience with Linux networking? (I get the impretion you have some experience, or have at least hit the books, if you know enough to run ifconfig.) When I was first learning the ropes, I tried to set up my networking by hand. I learned a lot, but I never did manage to fire up my networking by hand. In the end, I took to working within the provided RedHat networking scripts, which work pretty well. Short of digging into those scripts or spending an awful long time reading man pages, I may not be able to do much to help at this point (unless you're running a similar distribution).

Do you have any old scripts for configuring networking? If so, I would recommend trying to modify those to suit your new hardware. If not, you may want to check for any distributions which may have been included in your distribution. I'm sorry I can't be of more help on the networking at the moment.

I'm short on time at the moment, but I will post what I generally do to get a network configured on RedHat (beyond getting the right module installed). Your distribution may well be different, but I hope that it will provide some help. I would recommend describing your distribution--someone more familiar with it might be able to offer you an additional hand. In the mean time, it might make sense to play with the sound, as I may be able to offer more help there.
Old 11-17-02, 03:55 PM   #8
phex

well, in using Slackware, and i have a lil bit of experience with networking, but not enough.ive only been using linux for almost a year. but thanx for the help though, i guess i'll have to go and read some howto's

Old 11-17-02, 06:05 PM   #9
etr

Actually, playing from my end suggests that dhcpcd may be smart enough to get the networking setup. When I disable networking, dhcpcd is smart enough to get my NIC going again. HOWEVER, this is after networking has been configured by RedHat scripts druring boot.

Just for reference, have you checked your logs after running dhcpcd. I unplugged my NIC to see if anything showed up there when I ran dhcpcd and got the following:

dhcpcd[7272]: timed out waiting for a valid DHCP server response

This explains why dhcpcd sat quietly for awhile when I tried it . Are you seeing similar behavior? If so, it might make sense to try to confirm that your setup works for other devices (maybe a friend's computer). For reference, it might also help if you tell us more about your setup. Are you trying to use DSL, for example? (This tends to be harder than just setting up a straight network, and introduces more than the normal amount of work. I am using a P75 as a router, so I can generally cheat and make things work on a LAN before working about internet connectivity.)

I'd also recommend running with dhcpcd with the -d option--you can get some extra logging this way. (You may need to change your logging configuration to see this, but the man page has a primer for this.) This information might be useful.

I know this is a silly question, but I know I've done things like this plenty: might you have the network cable plugged into the port for the 3Com networking instead of the nForce networking?
Old 12-09-02, 03:40 PM   #10
mattmurdock

Send a message via ICQ to mattmurdock
Default The same mensage with video drivers

Quote:
Originally posted by phex
root@phoenix:/home/phex/nforce# depmod -a
root@phoenix:/home/phex/nforce# modprobe nvnet
Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/net/nvnet.o will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - NVIDIA
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s1-18 for information about tainted modules
Module nvnet loaded, with warnings
root@phoenix:/home/phex/nforce# modprobe nvaudio
modprobe: Can't locate module nvaudio
root@phoenix:/home/phex/nforce#

thats all i get, i tailed /var/log/messages and nothing came up. oh ya, and what other info do you need from me?
Hello guys, I'm new here and i would like to know if you can help me: I have the same problem with "Tainted modules", but it was with my video driver (Slackware 8.1 - kernel 2.4.18 - AsusA7N266-VM - Geforce 2 on borad) . I've had installed first the "NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.tar.gz" (tar -zxvf, and make into directory) and after the "NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.tar.gz". Then i configurated the xf86config file, edited /etc/rc.d/rc.modules and bla bla... When I type "startx" the same mensage above apear, but for my video drive card. What can i do?
| Linux User #295953
mattmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-02, 05:44 PM   #11
etr

A "tainted module" doesn't indicate that the code doesn't work. Linux is open source, and is informing you that by loading up the nVidia modules, you are loading code that is not open source into the kernel.

No offense intended to open source advocates, but it sort of like Windows popping up a Window to tell you you've installed Corel Word Perfect. You don't really need to worry about it.
Old 12-09-02, 08:12 PM   #12
mattmurdock

Send a message via ICQ to mattmurdock

Quote:
Originally posted by etr
A "tainted module" doesn't indicate that the code doesn't work. Linux is open source, and is informing you that by loading up the nVidia modules, you are loading code that is not open source into the kernel.

No offense intended to open source advocates, but it sort of like Windows popping up a Window to tell you you've installed Corel Word Perfect. You don't really need to worry about it.
Ok, but how can i get access to X? I cannot conect to X, even the Nvidia drivers are not open source. I already see my XF86config file (driver "nvidia", commet framer buffer, uncomment glx, etc), my rc.local (modprobe NVdriver). Is there a way to run this drivers even they're not open source? Thanks for replying me
| Linux User #295953
mattmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote