Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-01-04, 12:21 PM   #13
oldsk00l

Default Re: OT: Half life 2 porting petition

It'd probably be a marginal slowdown. I am quite frustrated with Cedega though, whenever you play a game on Cedega you are doing nothing to get more Linux games.

In fact you harm the Linux gaming community, as it's considers "Windows audience" as it is transparent to all the $$$ decision makers as to making Linux ports. I, quite frankly, want no part of a game developer not willing to do a native port. As such, you can bet I won't be buying HL2.
Old 12-02-04, 06:34 PM   #14
emailthatguy

actually i read that they actually worked with transgaming to get cedega up to speed on it. i wish i still had the link but unfortunately i dont. what i remember tho, is that they figured, if they can get it running well under cedega then there is no need for a port
No more ati | Athlon64 X2 6000+ Black | Asrock Mobo | 4GB RAM | 250 GB Maxtor Sata | Soundblaster X-fi XtremeGamer | EVGA 8800 GTS | HP w1907 Monitor | Logitech Z-680 Speakers | Audiovox PNP3 Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner | Sidewinder Mouse| Vista Home Premium | Logitech G15 Keyboard
emailthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-04, 03:19 PM   #15
oldsk00l

There is because it registers as a "Windows Sale" not a Linux sale. There are also inherent problems with an infrastructure based on emulation. It can never be as fast, and tweaks/fixes can't be made down the road in the event of a patch. Native is the only way to go if you bother at all. Plus Transgaming is not the most reputable company, in fact I think they are just scheisters leeching off of the wine project and violating terms of the GPL.
Old 12-03-04, 05:58 PM   #16
Rakeesh

Well, wine isn't really an emulator. You can almost call it a simulator, but not quite. All it does is intercept API calls and perform the same action that the win32 environment would otherwise do - it doesn't even have any kind of translation layer. If it were an emulator, it would probably be much slower than it is.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-04, 07:05 PM   #17
oldsk00l

Actually, you're right, I'd just use the term wrapper.
Old 12-07-04, 12:21 AM   #18
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

how about you just bite the damn bullet and buy windows and HL2 and play it. Otherwise, recognise that valve isn't going to release it to Linux and stop bitching.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-04, 11:22 AM   #19
oldsk00l

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeReWoLf5900
how about you just bite the damn bullet and buy windows and HL2 and play it. Otherwise, recognise that valve isn't going to release it to Linux and stop bitching.
Oh, I will do faaaar worse than bitch, I just won't buy it. Any of it. I hope never to purchase ANY software that doesn't have a Linux port, ever again.

This is far more effective than complaining and buying it. It is also certainly more effective than buying and not complaining. Gah, that's about the worst solution I've ever heard of in my entire life, to a problem like this.

That's like "Hmm, maybe we should try and put the fire out" "Stop your bitching and throw some more fuel at it".
Old 12-07-04, 01:37 PM   #20
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsk00l
Oh, I will do faaaar worse than bitch, I just won't buy it. Any of it. I hope never to purchase ANY software that doesn't have a Linux port, ever again.

This is far more effective than complaining and buying it. It is also certainly more effective than buying and not complaining. Gah, that's about the worst solution I've ever heard of in my entire life, to a problem like this.

That's like "Hmm, maybe we should try and put the fire out" "Stop your bitching and throw some more fuel at it".
This post reminds me of a Family Guy quote:

"Look, I know you're a feminist, and I think that's adorable...but right now, the men need to talk."

Basically, you and a few other people not buying the game as some sort of bastardized version of a 1950s sit-in isn't going to do anything. Keep up the good work though, I guess.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-04, 02:34 PM   #21
oldsk00l

Quite frankly, HL2 is "just a game". It's just more shooting, more cutscenes, and dialogue, and pretty graphics. It's not worth paying $$$ to acquire software that's not able to run natively on an OS that I'm running. Valve is out my $50, and I'm quite content.

I don't see how anyone here is adamant that "YOU MUST BUY HL2, AND STFU". That's retarded, no I don't want HL2 unless there's a Linux version, and I don't care if Valve NEVER makes Linux binaries. It's just a game.

No, I will NEVER buy software from a company that steals and obfuscates code openly. Transgaming has never credited back to the FOSS philosophy and their business practice is highly questionable. Plus it's ghey to use a slow wrapper for software.

If Valve never releases binaries, then in turn, I will NEVER buy HL2. It's all very simple, and everyone seems to be missing the point.
Old 12-16-04, 03:56 PM   #22
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

edit: yes, i shouldn't have said that

Last edited by Imbroglio; 12-16-04 at 05:14 PM.
Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-04, 04:09 PM   #23
oldsk00l

Discussing warez on these forums is pretty bad dude, I advise against it as it is a bad thing to do here.

But, notice I said I would never give Valve any money, or *buy* any windows games

And that's all I have to say about that....
Old 12-16-04, 11:30 PM   #24
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

Actually i was giving you the option of buying windows and half life 2 and playing it contently, or not buying it and missing out. I certainly don't care what you do and i'm pretty sure that valve doesn't either considering it has sold a few million copies by my guess. You say that you're happy not buying it. Obviously you aren't because you won't stop bitching.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote