Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-28-04, 02:28 PM   #1
yurivict

Default FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

Any plans to release amd64 driver for FreeBSD ?

I recently purchased 6800GT and now have to use FreeBSD-5.3-i386 not using full power of amd64. For my application amd64 will be very advantageous.

Also Cg SDK available is only for Linux, so I have to use Linux development mode to compile anything compiling Cg.

Any hope to have Cg SDK for FreeeBSD i386 and amd64 ?

Yuri
yurivict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 07:05 AM   #2
BahBahBah

Default Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

I too need an AMD64 FreeBSD driver. Please listen to your customers nvidia!

I have a GF6800GT
BahBahBah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 07:08 AM   #3
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

There are no plans to support FreeBSD amd64 at this point in time, but customer requests will certainly help prioritize future projects.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-05, 05:47 PM   #4
yurivict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
There are no plans to support FreeBSD amd64 at this point in time, but customer requests will certainly help prioritize future projects.
I can help port your driver to AMD FreeBSD, I did a lot of driver work for major electronics manufacturer. I can sign NDA if needed.
yurivict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-05, 05:10 PM   #5
kpanic

Hello dear NVidia corporation,

I also would love to see drivers for FreeBSD/amd64 from you. And there are many more people out there who also want to have drivers for FreeBSD/amd64

Thanks for listening.
kpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 10:42 AM   #6
Skalla

Please release an FreeBSD/amd64 driver, but eh wait....

PLEASE release the full specs for an Open Source driver, eh?!

cheers
Skalla
Skalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 11:38 AM   #7
ghostbyte

Also looking for amd64 drivers
ghostbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-05, 02:10 AM   #8
sp0rk

I, too, would like an amd64 driver. With Xorg 6.8.1 now in ports, and the Composite extension working like a charm, I think now would be a great time for one. I just tested out a full screen transparent window drag (officially available and supported in XFCE 4.2.0) and it's slow as molasses, very jumpy. This is where Accelerated graphics support would really come in handy. In linux, with the nvidia driver, this kind of thing is smooth as silk.

Thanks for the support so far!
sp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-05, 01:36 AM   #9
trippingpixie

I signed up on these forums solely to express my interest in nVidia drivers for FreeBSD on AMD64. I purchased an nVidia 6600GT instead of an ATI as I had heard nVidia provided good drivers to the Linux and FreeBSD communities. After my purchase I was quite disappointed to find the FreeBSD drivers were limited to x86.

Also, the first time I saw this thread there were only 3 posts. Keep posting! Signing up isn't that difficult. Post your interest and tell your friends!!
trippingpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 09:09 PM   #10
DrFishstik

Wink Re: FreeBSD-amd64 driver ?

A port to AMD64 FreeBSD would be a great win for the BSD community, two alternate operating systems for gaming (Linux and FreeBsd) would show the strength of the non-Microsoft development community. Gamers and developers alike woud win.
Old 02-03-05, 03:47 PM   #11
dave42

Hello...

Yes, a 64bit version of the NVidia drivers for FreeBSD would be fantastic!
I am a fan both of FreeBSD and NVidia -- I am simply very impressed by the quality of their [32 bit] drivers.

I'm planning to buy an Athlon 64 pretty soon, and I'll use FreeBSD 5.x on that system. It basically depends on the availability of 64 bit drivers whether I'll be able to use the amd64 or the i386 version of FreeBSD -- and naturally, I'd prefer to use the former.

Alternatively, I could use the amd64 version with the open source nv driver, of course. But since 64 bit NVidia drivers are available for linux, I am actually hopeful that they will be released for FreeBSD at some point as well. Any chances? :-)

Greetings,
David
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-05, 06:22 PM   #12
sp0rk

Just as a response to dave, and to shamelessly bump this post, i'm currently running FreeBSD 5.3 amd64 on an opteron, and the opensource nv driver is good enough for basic X work, but with all the cool opengl accelerated stuff thats in the pipe for GTK (via cairo) and xorg (the compositing extension isn't worth it without RenderAccel, and with the nv driver RenderAccel doesn't help at all), i would recommend i386. It's unfortunate that we can't use our favorite OS to the best of it's abilities simply because nVidia thinks a FreeBSD amd64 port would not be worth the trouble. =\

Please, nVidia, give us a binary driver! I might as well have an ATi card.
sp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote